Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2016, 11:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hiya! Update on my dear Jetta (she still needs a name), got the rotors turned and bled/replaced the brake fluid. Brake pedal went from being super spongy and soft to super stiff and still not stopping the vehicle. I suspect the power brake booster as it has a cracked vacuum line. Going to order a replacement this coming payday.

Also, I found some 0w-30 full synthetic oil that meets the VW 505.00 spec for my car! It made me happy. What do y'all think? Castrol 06244 EDGE 0W-30 SPT Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, (Pack of 6) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007G7PUMS/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_e8zayb05TDBN9
I'm gonna wait and see how it plays with the 0w40 it has now and decide from there but I'm hopeful for a thinner oil
Metro: the manual says either conventional or synthetic is okay, but I personally prefer full synthetic oils.

Transmission fluid is burnt and sparkly from all the metal fragments flaoting in it. It reacts like a ferrofluid when I pass a magnet over it. I have added a bottle of Lucas oil stop slip and will wait to see when it starts having problems before I start looking to get my tranny rebuilt. I got my info on transmission fluids from this dude: https://youtu.be/o690DovjDAc

Glow plugs got replaced and that cleared up three of my trouble codes (one for each of the three bad plugs)

Last edited by CappAttack; 10-14-2016 at 11:23 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Do you already have some mods planned to do after you get the car fixed? BTW would you eventually consider some experiences with alternate fuels?
Old 10-15-2016, 05:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Planned mods: smaller driver side mirror, passenger side mirror delete, full belly pan, partial grill block, basjoos the front end, LRR tires (after current ones wear out), rear wheel skirts(maybe), Malone eco tune or stage 1 tune.

I have not considered alternative fuels. If I did go through route I'd want the car to retain its ability to run on normal diesel or at least have a way to switch it back somewhat easily.

Last edited by CappAttack; 10-29-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Old 10-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappAttack View Post
I have not considered alternative fuels. If I did go through route I'd want the car to retain its ability to run on normal diesel or at least have a way to switch it back somewhat easily.
Having the ability to run on some alternative fuels doesn't mean that you would become unable to use regular Diesel fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
CappAttack (10-16-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappAttack View Post
I suspect the power brake booster as it has a cracked vacuum line. Going to order a replacement this coming payday.
Are you replacing the vacuum line or the booster? Hard to tell from your wording...

I'd assume it isn't getting vacuum, but I'd check/replace vacuum lines and check for vacuum at the booster and at the vacuum pump before replacing the booster itself, if you were going to.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am replacing the vacuum line and the check valve. Hopefully that fixes it...I don't wanna spend $300 on a new power booster.

Rooster: how would one go about getting set up to run alternative fuels? And good sources for me to look at?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Parents surprised me by taking it into the shop for me. Mechanics there are gonna look at the brakes, Ballance the tires, and make sure everything is aligned. Yay!

Just before that happened, I got my passenger side mirror delete done. Covered the hole with some coroplast held it all on with silicone and spray painted it black. Passenger mirror delete https://imgur.com/gallery/UliZb

Last edited by CappAttack; 10-17-2016 at 09:31 PM..
Old 10-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mechanic said he's Gonna replace the thermostat, thermostat gasket, coolant, CV joints on the front left and front right, EGR valve, vacuum line for the brake power booster, and the vacuum pump. he will also Ballance the tires and align the front end.

I hope to have a much better vehicle by the end of all this! It should be out of the shop Monday evening.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Finally got it back! Throttle response and braking are much improved thanks to a new EGR valve and new vacuum pump. The new cv axels/joints helped a ton with how much it was vibrating. Mechanic also told me that the injector pump is leaking. He noted that it not original to the vehicle so it's possible someone forgot/didn't seat a gasket properly when installing it.

I have been strongly encouraged by family to re install my passenger side mirror for safety reasons. Does anyone have some ideas for low profile mirrors that I could diy?

I've cleaned my air filter (k&n), it needed a good bath and some fresh oil. Gonna get started on my belly pan after some baseline numbers get in!

Any thoughts on either a bigger or smaller intercooler? For hotter or colder air intake....am I crazy to consider this?

Also have some odd bits to fix: rear driver side window won't roll up, headliner has all but fallen off...I'm gonna glue it back on, a/c need to be recharged, and and I wanna check the trans cooler. I've read about others finding it either Clogged or cracked.

Last edited by CappAttack; 10-29-2016 at 09:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to CappAttack For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (10-26-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
When you charge up your AC, just get some pressure into it and spritz a little soapy water around on the hoses, esp. at the hose connections. if you find a connection bubbling, it could be you just have a dried-out or cracked O-ring. New O-rings are super cheap.

My Forester bled out its refrigerant, new O-ring and 10 minutes, $15, done.

Fifteen bucks because I didn't know exactly which size and the assortment was pretty comprehensive and now I have a bunch of spare O-rings.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread