Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Danger Ranger - '01 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4
90 day: 14.52 mpg (US)

Moms car - '05 Ford Freestyle Limited
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)

Mistress - '10 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster 883 Iron
90 day: 42.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to meemooer
well on oct 13, i was "laid off" from my detailing job at a very busy HONDA dealer. For some reason mid Sept. sales just ... died, we were on track to sell 165 car total on sept 14, and we ended up with 90 total. and when they realized that they needed to cut 65K a month if this is how it was going to be, the highest paid hourly "backbone" go kicked out "temporarily". But i'm getting unemployment, and i found a little side job for a local small used car lot.
Thats why i haven't been on much.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
bbjsw10 -

My job has been moving all it's equipment from one location to another (maybe 1 mile), while still supporting our "normal" job function. That may not sound like much, but the logistics have been a see-saw nightmare. We're talking Headless Chicken workdays on steroids. I'm still in recovery mode.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Certified Freak

Greenblazer's Taco - '07 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab SR5 V6 4.0Liter
90 day: 24.54 mpg (US)
Hey Ya'll,

My excuse is myspace apps (games of strategy) have been consuming too much of my computer time. It's like a bottomless pit. People keep asking me to accept new apps, and now I have so many that I can't keep up with them. I've been having fun though.

That combined with some drama at work causing my attention to veer away from here. I am probably not hypermiling as strictly as I have managed in the past, but I am still doing pretty good with it. I usually do better than 25MPG. My best was 26.66 with my Tacoma V6 Doublecab, so keeping it in the 25 range without trying too hard ain't bad.

Since the only FE mod I have planned is a Scanguage II at this time I don't really have much to post about until I can get the cash scraped together for it.

I have been wondering what ever happened to Ebacherville's Extream Aero CRX HF thread It's easy to find searching because I remembered that he spelled Extreme "Extream". I was following that and quite a while back he posted some pics that showed the unfinished construction, but I never have seen the finished car. Anybody hear from him or see the finished project? Did he start a new thread and I just missed it?

Later,

Allan Greenblazer
Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I noticed it being slow around here also. I think it is because of the cheaper gas prices and people really could care less about saving fuel unless gas is $4.00 per gallon or higher. I have not been that active around here myself since I been busy on my site and also with work, life, etc.

My brother wants to buy an H2 Hummer! I tried to talk him out of it, but it may be too late. I will not feel sorry for him when fuel prices go back up.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Johnny, sorry your brother is being drawn to the dark side.

As for me I've been busy insulating my entire house, replacing windows (9), and adding storm windows. Oh yeah, and closing my pool.

Maybe if I get all the house chores done, I can start modding
Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Ive had my daughter all weekend and been on the road with her so I usually dont even get on the computer. But during the week I usually check in here every day. But I probably dont have quite as many posts. The mpguino is still operating rock solid. I havent done any new mods to the Celebrity and Im getting things ready for winter. We got a little snow yesterday so the clock is ticking. BTW Im always still interested in saving fuel. Gas is not cheap now, its only about the same as it was last year, and we all long since agreed back then that we were being raped at the pump.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 10-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Speaking of getting ready for winter. We heat our church just outside of Mancelona with wood. Large outdoor wood fired boiler. We ordered 40 pulp cords of firewood this year (2 years worth - $2800) and have been busy for the last 2 weeks after work cutting it up. Pulp cords are 4'x4'x8', the 8' being the length of the logs. 2 semi loads. Most all cut, now we have about half of it that we need to split at least once. My back is sore! Hope my MPGuino kit gets here soon, as I may not be able to bend over or get under the dash to hook it up!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorecomp View Post
Pulp cords are 4'x4'x8', the 8' being the length of the logs. 2 semi loads. Most all cut, now we have about half of it that we need to split at least once.
Yeah I know how you feel, I have cut 12 cords this last month or so. All from downed trees and split and stacked with some assistance from wife + friends. It is not easy work, but well worth it. I do not like giving any gas company my money, this site was a life saver for me on that aspect.

Johnny, are you bigger than your brother? If so slap the crap out of him for wanting a Hummer, he will thank you in the end.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm still here. I just haven't had anything interesting to start a new post. I'm still reading what everyone has to say and adding my 2 cents worth when I have something to say on the matter.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
meemooer - sorry to hear about your job & glad to hear you're adapting. Looks like there are going to be others in similar situations in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cheap View Post
I don't doubt that many people became ecomodders out of necessity. Prices are now about what they were two years ago, but I now get 20% better mileage. I'm not surprised by the decrease in activity here.
I agree with you, and I'm not surprised either.

I haven't looked closely, but I'd bet you that the traffic graphs for this site would have a similar profile to a graph of gas prices. I bet the busiest month here was the same month gas prices peaked (or maybe a few weeks after).

Those of us "left behind" have an interest in the subject that goes beyond the purely financial (or a lower financial pain threshold than most! ).

We haven't been around long enough to know if there's also a seasonal up/down (summer/winter), but we can sure tell you that Wednesdays are the busiest day of the week for some reason!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread