Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Think of the old triple and quadruple expansion steam engines, generate more electricity and use the existing distribution system. Any decent potential heat differential will get you there. Vary the working fluids as pressures drop. Running the next engine off this engines exhaust steam.

regards
mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I don't know but we are constantly building systems that include 2 water pipes coupled with 1 "gas" pipe all underground to every house in our area.
Constantly building? To every house? No, most houses are already built, with the supply lines installed decades ago. (Thus amortizing the cost over those decades.) Much more disruptive & expensive to dig up roads & landscaping to retrofit.

Quote:
One could assume the mission critical gas pipe would be omitted...
Still used for cooking.

Quote:
Another more radical thought, why not just use the existing pipes, the powerplant complex makes enough heat to heat 500,000 homes, more than are even in the area, why not just run all municipal water as hot through existing lines, the heat sync affect would eventually allow the water to be hot in most areas and to get cold water you would need a heat sync.
Because in most cases the powerplants are not located anywhere near the water sources? Because the energy & equipment needed to cool water would wipe out most of the hypothetical savings?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Constantly building? To every house? No, most houses are already built, with the supply lines installed decades ago. (Thus amortizing the cost over those decades.) Much more disruptive & expensive to dig up roads & landscaping to retrofit.
Most of the new construction in our area is by the powerplant, most of our houses have been getting sewer water recently.

The water treatment plant and pump facilities are also right next to the powerplant as are a variety of businesses including a shopping mall and cheese factory that could use waste heat.

Just seems so foolish that the waste heat does nothing but make steam on the road and keep the river clear
Old 11-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Most of the new construction in our area is by the powerplant...
OK, that's you. I imagine this isn't the case, most places. So you don't have e.g. economies of scale in producing the equipment, or architects & construction workers who know how best to install it. Same basic problem as solar space heat & hot water, which is an even better alternative in many places.

Also, what happens to all those water-heated houses in 20 years or so, when emissions regulations, increasing cost of fossil fuel, and decreasing cost of solar/wind/whatever make the plant uneconomic to run?
Old 11-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Obviously, you would still need water heaters, in case the water happened to not be hot enough, and then you would have hot water heaters!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
People don't set their standards high enough. A properly designed and constructed home (well insulated, with very high-tech glazing and an air-to-air heat exchanger) would be homeostatic (I made a pun!) and need power only for localized heat/cold shunting. And the grow lights.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
The problems there are payback time and the market.

The housing market values square feet, number of bathrooms, bedrooms and garages. I've never seen a real estate listing that even mentioned insulation or furnace type (unless it was to mention radiant in the floors of a room or two). It's hard for them to factor in the value of reduced heating costs in the price of the house.

Payback time hurts at construction time, just like with solar. Building in a lifetime of reduced heating and cooling expenses costs a lot right now, while the benefits trickle in very slowly, if they can ever be quantified directly. Banks don't like financing extra insulation costs because when the house gets sold, it still comes back to just how many bedrooms you've got.

When I'm rich and famous I'll have a passive house. Solar and ****. Until then I'm stuck in a regular house and I try to be efficient in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Oops. I just got automatically censored. $#*+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 11-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
If I had a genset at home I'd try co-generation.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Building in a lifetime of reduced heating and cooling expenses costs a lot right now, while the benefits trickle in very slowly, if they can ever be quantified directly.
I lived for a number of years in a geodesic dome. It was the cleanest, warmest and quietest place I've ever lived—all qualities due to it's hemispherical shape. Dust only settles in corners, toroidal air circulation conserves heat and the shape dissipates exterior sounds. A streamlined exterior shell and solar and wind powered operation don't have to cost more up front.

I'm stuck too. It's 256sq ft which is nice, but it's a long skinny rectangle instead of a circle.

Reply  Post New Thread