EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Kill switch and engine start button wiring (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/kill-switch-engine-start-button-wiring-35098.html)

alexander.foti 04-19-2017 03:43 PM

Kill switch and engine start button wiring

Hi all

I am planning on installing an engine kill / engine start button arrangement on my 2003 C220 CDI Manual.

The engine start button is easy, just wire it into the starter relay.

The engine kill button is a bit more difficult. I am planning on using a normally closed switch into one of the wires on the CAM position sensor.

If I unplug the cam sensor, the engine stops, but I have to cycle the key for the engine to start again.

any ideas which wire I can tap into to simulate a 0 RPM signal?

Shortie771 04-19-2017 04:30 PM

Why not kill the engine at the injectors? That's what I did. I wired my switch to the under-hood injector fuse. So when I flip the switch, it's pretty much the same as if I had taken the fuse out.

alexander.foti 04-19-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortie771 (Post 538915)
Why not kill the engine at the injectors? That's what I did. I wired my switch to the under-hood injector fuse.

The common rail injectors have sizeable power feeds. I would have to use a relay and it also logs a EPC fault code which fills the screen on the dash.

Shortie771 04-19-2017 04:34 PM

Well darn. I guess I had it easy since I'm OBD-1... Back when things were lower tech

alexander.foti 04-19-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortie771 (Post 538917)
Well darn. I guess I had it easy since I'm OBD-1... Back when things were lower tech

It is noticeably more difficult than my other cars.

EOC on motorbikes is traditionally easy, just hit the kill switch. My bike has a DCT gearbox that wont go into gear until its stopped! Argh

Shortie771 04-19-2017 04:38 PM

That seems like a lot more trouble. Sadly I think you're out of my realm of knowledge. I'm sure somebody (smarter than myself) here can offer you a solution.

TimV 04-21-2017 02:44 AM

I bump start my engine. But i need a kill switch. Cycling the key is not good for wear. And when dark. The lights go out until i switch the key back to on...

alexander.foti 04-21-2017 07:38 AM

After some testing, the only way to kill the engine is by cutting the CPS signal so that the ECU thinks the engine has stopped.

Any other method (removing the injector connector, rail pressure sensor etc) causes the ecu to need a key off/on again before it will allow the engine to start.

Will put a pic up soon of the switch arrangnment.

Shortie771 04-21-2017 08:27 AM

I'm guessing a fuel pump cut or ignition kill switch wouldn't cut it?

alexander.foti 04-21-2017 08:28 AM

As its a common rail diesel, there is no electrical fuel pump or ignition system.