Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Old video games, VHS, even DVD if the CRT have good resolution and progressive scan.
Interpolated videos (if not in HD) always looks better on CRT.
Betamax looks better too (since it's similar to Super VHS), and many TV shows recorded in SD resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxx View Post
Old video games are much better on a CRT, display lag is real.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
The LCD displays that I have now are slim, and text, graphics, and colors are far better than any CRT I've ever seen. While I don't do video, I do some fairly complicated visualization stuff. I don't see any artifacts of the sort you describe. I suspect most of them are not the fault of the display technology, but of trying to compress high-definition video to fit through low-bandwidth channels.
Videophiles will still find reason to complain. Ever display a "black" screen on an LCD in a dark room and notice how much light it's throwing out? A black screen should produce zero light. The other digital image quality issues you describe are due to compression. Stuff like smoke and fog usually look bad to me in digital form.

I'm happy where technology has gone. I can clearly see individual players in a football game compared to the old analog broadcast TV where you couldn't read their names on the jersey.

CRT is dead, plasma for some reason too, and next will be LCD, likely to be replaced by OLED.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I appologise for that long text. Adminstration already moved it away. Sorry for that, I was steaming off.
I like that you are open to learning (even though it increases your disgust at the people surrounding you). How about this: STOP WITH THE TOP-POSTING. We have to read what you're going on about and then connect it back to the quote after the fact.

Quote first and then comment. Okay?
______

My 128K Macintosh with a B&W 9" CRT drew 15watts. That's night-light territory. It imprinted info on the light it emitted for basically free.

edit: I used to be bothered by the sound of the 15.734 kHz (for NTSC) flyback frequency, now I just have tinnitus at that pitch.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-04-2018 at 04:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

I saw 10.000:1 ratio and 1000.000:1 ratio for contrast, and see little difference. They have shinning blacks too.
And the very high contrast ration od LED backlight display have a poor resolution for the LEDs ligth, since the LED size it's much larger than LCD pixel size.

For me shining blacks are little thing compared to crushed shadows, when the tones near black became black, transforming shadow details into a black cardboard. Just repulsive... in the same way white clipping it's respulsive and created whitle holes in any reflex in the face of a actor. Calibration it's useless, bullsh... talk, since if you calibrate the LCD to avoid crushed shadows and clipped whites, the image get faded, lifeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Videophiles will still find reason to complain. Ever display a "black" screen on an LCD in a dark room and notice how much light it's throwing out? A black screen should produce zero light. The other digital image quality issues you describe are due to compression. Stuff like smoke and fog usually look bad to me in digital form.

I'm happy where technology has gone. I can clearly see individual players in a football game compared to the old analog broadcast TV where you couldn't read their names on the jersey.

CRT is dead, plasma for some reason too, and next will be LCD, likely to be replaced by OLED.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Contrast ratio ≠ high dynamic range, or gamma.

Still top-posting, I see. It's a hard habit to break.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

I know... WHy did you imagined I said the oposity ?

Contrast ratio refers just to the ability of display the blackest pixels as possible. Dynamic range it's more about the hability to display high difference from black to white, and is measured in stops.

Dynamic range it's 100 times more important than contrast ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Contrast ratio ≠ high dynamic range, or gamma.

Still top-posting, I see. It's a hard habit to break.
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Welp, All Darc has cursed me.

Wife came home and turned the TV on. She went to change the channel and the TV lost signal. Looks like the HDMI board has gone out, as the HTPC also isn't displaying. I've run component and RGA cables in the meantime to get TV back for the wife, but it isn't looking promising.

I bought this 60" plasma about 7 years ago for $1,000. Too soon for it to die, but I might have to replace it with a nice LCD

First I'll try removing the video board and reinstall it to see if it's just a loose connection. Next I'll try a solder reflow in the oven. If neither bring it back to life, I'll free it away on CL to someone who is OK with component only inputs.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 04-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

LCD never... Never to watch entire films on full screen. Just short clips in a small window on the center of the monitor. I can't stand more than that.

I forgot one thing. One more reason to wish to blown up The Samsung 4K 50 inchs garbage is the fact the light it's not even, like I can see some brs, soft but noticeable, of less intensity. It became obvious in very bright sky scenes taking more than 30% of screen, or if I load a JPG image made of a entire flat white.

I never hated someting (object) as much in my entire life. I really hate it...
It's so garbage, despite have 5 star on Amazon.com, that the decoding processing of it generates banding and artefacts, for 4K video, even if the scene was recorded with camera stopped, just small thing moving on screen. Even a video that I got from a TV manufacturer Demopage for 4K, a video with 1GB for just 90 seonds, have all these artefacts and banding. If 1GB for only 90 seconds can't make it free from artefacts and banding, I don't even want to see what a air broadcast (poor bitrate) would look like.

I would like to see this TV broked & smashed piece by piece and burned. And ashes trown ways in toilet. No kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Which?

Analog CRT using alternating interlaced scans or digital LCD using MPEG compression with pixelations?
Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

OOPS... the family's curse reached you...
My family it's cursed by something... everything we bought get wrong, broken or works bad... Every service hered go into sh...

But the funny is that the curse wasn't supose to work this way with you, supporting my quotes. It was suposed to freak me just to make me angry. Like some device that didn't work in some times but worked in others, just to make me appear as full to technicians, and technicians to say I was wrong and that have anyting wrong with a given device.

So the curse was a bit more benevolent with me this time. Good for me but worse for you. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Welp, All Darc has cursed me.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If it's an edge connector, use a clean pencil eraser on the contacts.

Is top-posting some sort of voodoo? Should we storm Brazil and make him pay [/jk]

My fall-back screen is a Sony MFM-HT95 which apparently dates to 2006. I picked it out of a row of monitors because it was noticeably brighter that the others, due to a screen coating they have. It has TV functions I've never used.

Primary is an Apple 23" monitor that came second-hand with a Mac Mini. It puts the Sony screen in the shade.

edit:
Quote:
I never hated someting (object) as much in my entire life. I really hate it...
It's so garbage...
Maybe it's a mutant super power. Did you think of that? Probably not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy
Quote:
One study suggested that 2–3% of the world's women might have the type of fourth cone whose sensitivity peak is between the standard red and green cones, giving, theoretically, a significant increase in color differentiation. Another study suggests that as many as 50% of women and 8% of men may have four photopigments and corresponding increased chromatic discrimination compared to trichromats.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-04-2018 at 08:41 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread