EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Learning my route. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/learning-my-route-35465.html)

JockoT 08-09-2017 09:30 AM

Learning my route.

I drive the same route twice a day, five days a week. Two miles out and two miles back, early morning and lunchtime.
I am really beginning to refine how I manage the junctions and roundabouts. I try to accelerate up to 30 mph, and from that speed I know exactly where to slip into neutral, so I arrive at the choke point at the exact speed I want.
I have also refined my sight lines. I know if I check the adjoining road, along past the trees, if it is clear it will be clear when I get to the roundabout.
It is the same for DFCO. There is no point in sticking car back in gear if revs will be too low or if a lower gear will slow me too quickly.
There is one particular roundabout in a dip. I use DFCO, in third, as I approach it, then if it is clear I know when to slip back into neutral and coast through the roundabout and a fair bit up the other side.
There is a huge difference between the traffic flows between morning and lunch time, and I decided, today, to make a slight route change for the later trip. There is a roundabout, with an uphill approach. Sometimes there are quite a few cars entering from the right (they have priority), and if you are second or third in line, with a timid driver at the front, there can be a bit of a delay in getting out. I have decided to go a slightly longer road round, but at least the traffic keeps moving.
It is a steep learning curve.
Did you experienced Hypermilers find the same?

Fat Charlie 08-09-2017 10:16 AM

Even without hypermiling, sometimes the longest way around is the shortest way home.

Of course, then you have to get into the math- is a longer trip at a higher mpg going to still burn more gas than the shorter trip at the higher mpg? When does time spent outweigh gas burned? Is a longer trip that burns more gas worth it if it's simply more pleasant?

cowmeat 08-09-2017 12:18 PM

About the time gas prices shot through the roof during the downturn I sold my 12 mpg Land Rover and bought a Ford Festiva (Black Widow) and began the journey of learning to hypermile the same route I had driven carelessly for decades.

A Festiva, two Honda Insights and a Chevy Volt later I realize there's always a better, more efficient route or a new tweak to my driving habits available, depending on the vehicle, traffic patterns, the time of year, time of day, etc . . . .

Luckily my Volt reacts best to what is also the shortest route to my job, so it's been an awesome car/route combination lateyl

You're always in a learning curve as a hypermiler!

JockoT 08-09-2017 12:37 PM

Just checked on Google maps and my "longer" route is actually 50 yards shorter! It is just a bit twistier so seems longer.
Actually saving petrol is not a priority for me. My average monthly fuel cost is £70 so even a 10% saving is neither here nor there. I treat Hypermiling as a game. My object is to beat my high score. It makes driving, which I love doing, even more of a challenge!

gone-ot 08-09-2017 02:20 PM

Driving...keeping it fun.

Hypermileing...keeping it funner!

JRMichler 08-09-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 547017)
I treat Hypermiling as a game.

It's a game. A game that keeps the drive from getting boring. A game where you focus on your driving, rather than giving yourself a case of road rage. A game that makes you money. A game that makes your vehicle last longer. A game that allows your passengers to relax. And you get there in the same time.

Win - win - win - win - win - draw.

Fat Charlie 08-09-2017 02:27 PM

Gas and money saved is just how you keep score. :)

JockoT 08-09-2017 02:30 PM

Because I am saving a little money I have started using 97 RON instead of my usual 95 RON. And who knows. Using slightly better fuel may give me slightly more mpg.

gone-ot 08-09-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 547030)
Because I am saving a little money I have started using 97 RON instead of my usual 95 RON. And who knows. Using slightly better fuel may give me slightly more mpg.

Not likely to happen with NA engine; but, *IS* so with turbo-charged engine.

Mustang Dave 08-10-2017 12:23 AM

I lose about 1 MPG with my Mustang running it on Premium (with the HyperTech Premium power tune) compared to running it on Regular (with the HyperTech Regular power tune). No difference in fuel economy between stock tune and HyperTech Regular power tune. It's been 5 years or so, but I have the fuel log data to prove it.