Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
I was inspired a bit by the Pininfarina B0 (B zero) in that the area in front of the windshield, as well as the roof, would have solar panels to help recharge the batteries and vent the cabin while parked. The Prius uses that solar vent feature, correct?

It would also allow me to (probably) do a simple-curvature window and not worry about vacuum forming or other more complex production techniques. After all, windows are best without distortion.

Last edited by Sven7; 12-19-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
To be fair the Metro is a working truck; He hauled two Electrathon racers in that. And he said he lost about 2mpg with the stretch.
Those 2 mpg could easily be regained with a few ecomods

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
part of the appeal of this project is that I get to design and build my own car. So, it's exactly what I want! Looks like a good site, though. The motors go up to 19hp which is just a bit shy of my power goal.
Reduce the weight, and you're back at diesel rabbit p/w.

If you want to run it out on the streets in the real world , instead of on the track as per eco-marathon, I'd go for 4 wheels rather than 3.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I was inspired a bit by the Pininfarina B0 (B zero) in that the area in front of the windshield, as well as the roof, would have solar panels to help recharge the batteries and vent the cabin while parked. The Prius uses that solar vent feature, correct?
I think you're right.

Have you seen this? I posted it in another thread (I don't draw enough to have a fluid line). The windscreen would be a conic section with an irregular radius. I didn't draw them in, but the headlights would be under glass, like the taillights in the Pininfarina B0, or VW's Up!.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Reduce the weight, and you're back at diesel rabbit p/w.

If you want to run it out on the streets in the real world , instead of on the track as per eco-marathon, I'd go for 4 wheels rather than 3.
I'm not confident I could build the thing, batteries and all, to be under, say, 900 including driver (150lbs). To equal the diesel Rabbit's dismal acceleration I'd need 26.7 hp.

Now, let's reverse that. If I wanted to use that 19hp [peak] motor, the loaded car would need to weigh 639.5 lbs. Subtracting the driver's weight, that comes to 489.4 lbs. That's really, really light. Sport bike light.

I want to use it as a commuter car. I would very much like to use the 3 wheel tadpole layout. I think if the weight is low and forward it should be stable enough for street duty. The only things sticking out above the top of the wheels should be my upper torso, head, and roll bar.

I don't want to brag, but I have attended autocross school and done some racing, so it's not as if I don't know how to handle a car. Of course, the main concern would be emergency maneuvers. Air brakes, anyone?

Thoughts on this stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I think you're right.

Have you seen this? I posted it in another thread (I don't draw enough to have a fluid line). The windscreen would be a conic section with an irregular radius. I didn't draw them in, but the headlights would be under glass, like the taillights in the Pininfarina B0, or VW's Up!.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lnOex.jpg
I saw it. I am planning on doing an irregular radius lexan window. The headlights would also be under radiused lexan since I figure glass would be hard to find and heavy.

My friend has worked with fiberglass a bit on top secret projects and makes it sound easy. He's also done some (cosmetic) carbon fiber work. From some quick Googling it sounds like CF is more expensive, stronger, more likely to crack and lighter than fiberglass. That would leave the latter's strengths to be much lower cost and higher durability. Can anyone give me numbers for weight comparison? Also, how much durability will the vehicle need? I don't know. Probably depends on the frame flex.

I am thinking about a tubular steel chassis shaped like those tetrahedral cream packets, with the flat part up front and the vertical one acting as a roll bar and rear suspension mount in back. With reinforcement, of course.

I need to make a 3D model and get some good proportions and perspective going. It's hard to work out.

Stromlinet Vogn II by Tyler Linner, Intergalactic Man of Mystery, on Flickr
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Daihatsu Midget II's are 1335mm/52" wide, and they look top-heavy!

Peel P50 is 990mm/39" wide, and a top-heavy three wheeler.

At 2:54 you can see Clarkson lift the front wheel. Obviously it's got a much, much higher center of gravity and much, much shorter wheelbase than I plan to use. Its wheelbase is 50", about half my minimum acceptable measure, however 39" in width sounds about right.

Recumbent bicycle seating position:

Am I crazy to benchmark against the Midget II, Peel and a bicycle?

Last edited by Sven7; 12-20-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

00C - '00 Toyota Corolla
90 day: 43.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypermilerAX View Post
Yes, wheels are carbon fiber. They are 16 inches mounted with Michelin Radial tires for solar cars. Probably 45/75 R16 with a Crr between 0.001 and 0.002, they are inflatable to 100 PSI.

Frontal area is around 0.3 m², CdA is much lower than 0.4, it's 0.033.
Guys, Cd is unit-less, but CdA is expressed in units of area, so don't forget.

0.033 m^2 * (10.76ft^2/ft^2) = 0.36 ft^2

Compared properly, your two different numbers almost agree with each other.

==============================

I have to say that the MPG number very nearly boggled my mind, I thought it was an electric and it was MPGe, but nope, the magazine reports it has an ICE so it is actually MPG.

Nonetheless, I think that when you consider 15X reduction in CdA compared to a Prius, probably at much lower speeds for maybe another 4X for V^2 (am I right?), it does seem like it might be within the limits of physics.

... although I'm still mystified as to how they scaled an ICE down to achieve low weight in a practical drive-train with low throttle loss... something Sven needn't worry about for an electric.

==============================

If you want to use this in traffic, being seen by cross-traffic when you have right-of-way is a serious concern with all recumbent-type vehicles. Consider 500-2000 lumens of forward motorcycle / LED lighting. Needs to have a bright mode for daylight and a directed road pattern for nighttime. This issue gets a lot of discussion in bicycle forums.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Who says an off-road unicycle does not exist?

Am I crazy to benchmark against the Midget II, Peel and a bicycle?[/QUOTE]

Unicycles is the last packaging frontier.

The Following User Says Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
If you want to use this in traffic, being seen by cross-traffic when you have right-of-way is a serious concern with all recumbent-type vehicles. Consider 500-2000 lumens of forward motorcycle / LED lighting. Needs to have a bright mode for daylight and a directed road pattern for nighttime. This issue gets a lot of discussion in bicycle forums.
Just cause I'm still logged in, I'll reply right away.

First, I would like to use some sort of bright paint job. Safety green is a bit conspicuous but maybe a nice 70's blue or lime green.
http://static.corradoworld.com/pictu...ciroco_MK1.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8152/7...24b9f49d_z.jpg

It would also need ample reflectors- probably the kind that look black until you shine a light on them- over the "painted black" areas.

Last, I would have LED running lamps. It might be good to make them flash like some motorcycle headlamps, and since it will be registered as such, that would be legal. Not sure how to go about putting together the lighting- do you know of any good threads?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
Inside Fast Freddy's 78 mph bicycle run.

Reply  Post New Thread