Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Definitely not.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
There's always going to be ignorant impatient people, that's for sure. Had someone honk at me the other day for not approaching a red light fast enough.
Looked at your mileage chart. You are getting excellent numbers IMO, especially if you aren't doing any EOC.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
The Following User Says Thank You to puddleglum For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (07-22-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
I drive the same route, twice a day, five days a week. As a result I am able to refine my driving technique over that route. It has been less than a month since I started to try and improve my fuel figures by employing some of the tricks I have read here and elsewhere.
The first thing I changed was the route I used. In the morning I went the shortest quickest way, but at lunch time I went a longer route, just for a bit of variety. The shorter route has one set of traffic lights, the longer one, eight. Variety was the first thing to go!
What I have been able to refine is the points where I slip into neutral, to do a bit of coasting, and the places I select a lower gear for Deceleration Fuel Cut Off. I use both methods quite a lot, choosing which gives me the best option for the given condition. For example, there is a long gentle downhill section where even 5th would slow me down quickly (my Honda Jazz is light and has very little inertia), so there I coast in neutral. As I approach the end of the slope, and the right hand turn at the light controlled junction, I know when to select 3rd, for DFCO and the management of my speed before making the turn.
My entire route is like that. Places where I know if I go into neutral I can reach a turn at the correct speed and other spots where in gear coasting is the best option. My selection points are pretty precise as well. I know if I slip into neutral at the white gate I have enough speed to crest the rise and if I select 3rd at the big house I can use DFCO right up to the roundabout at the bottom of the hill. I refine these points with experience.
My lunch time trip is not so simple. Traffic is much heavier than it is at 06:30 and the best laid plans as they say! It is much more a case of forward observation and trying to second guess other drivers.
What really scunners me are the drivers who sit at a red light and are never ready to move off when they change. Let’s face it. You have only the one thing you need to do at a traffic light and that is watch for it to turn green. While you are sliding slowly up behind them they are staring into space, oblivious to all around them. Now I know that with auto stop and the like some cars are not ready to go the moment the green light comes on but at least, here in the UK, we have red and amber to let them get ready. Get three dawdlers ahead of you at a set of lights and you are lucky to get through before the amber, never mind without needing to stop.
And don’t get me started on roundabouts!
I never coast with the engine off. In my car that is downright dangerous. Okay, my brake servo is good for three or four applications before I need Bigfoot but my steering has electrical power assist which requires the engine running to operate. Now I am a big fella, but to turn the wheel without the power steering I would need arms like Garth. It is like the steering lock is on. I have never known a car with such heavy steering without the power assist.
Well I say I never coast with the engine off. I do when I bring the car out of the garage. I always leave my car in 1st gear, wherever I park, so it is foot on the clutch, start engine, clutch up, start rolling, clutch down and engine off. The car can then roll clear of the garage ready for me to go and lock it back up.
I follow that initial procedure all the time. My start is always everyone belted in, check for other traffic, once all clear start engine, clutch up and off. No unnecessary idling.
So that is what I have learned so far. A long way still to go for probably little extra mpg, but it is a good game, and I enjoy playing it.
What about you?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
I know my route pretty well but I swear the lights are intentionally timed to make people stop. My morning commute is 4 miles, 3 stop signs, 11 lights and a roundabout under construction, traffic is usually backed up 2-3 blocks at the roundabout. Getting out of my business park to get home is a crap shoot. I'm off at 4:30 but I know to wait til just before 5 to leave. Usually that will keep my wait down to 2-3 light cycles. I can't see the traffic from work and if I get it wrong I can be stuck there for 10 minutes. I started taking a longer route home, in the spring, through a residential district. A kilometer longer but only 2 stop signs, 4 lights and the roundabout. i have a long gradual downhill that way that allows for some long coasts. I know where I can EOC pretty well now, and I do it lots, but traffic congestion is the big variable. My average speed is only about 30 kph It's been a work in progress as I experiment with what works and what doesn't. Once the weather gets cold, I'll have to modify my habits again.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
Old 07-28-2017, 02:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
I worked on an industrial park, many years back, where if you got out the door bang on finishing time you were okay. However, if you were five minutes late in getting out you were an hour late in getting home!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Did a top up today and found that the ScanGauge mpg average, for the tank, was within 0.1% of the calculated average mpg. Pure chance I guess.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
Distance travelled: 8.0 miles
Petrol used: 0.16 gallons (UK)
Cost of petrol: £0.80
Average mpg: 49.7 UK mpg
Average speed: 17 mph
Max speed: 32 mph
Maximum revs: 2576 rpm
Max coolant temp: 77°C

Not too shoddy in my opinion.
Not too bad indeed. At 17 mph average speed you are well within what the EPA would consider 100% city driving which averages 21 mph. Any mods worth mentioning on the jazz? Sounds like you would be a good candidate for an engine block heater. I use my block heater pretty much whenever I plan ahead long enough, even when its 85F+ outside I still use it and still notice its benefits.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 08-25-2017, 02:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
An engine block heater would be ideal, but my garage is well away from my house, with no power or possibility of getting power. I live in a top floor flat, with no vehicular access so there is nothing there either. But considering most of my trips are the trip I logged, a block heater would make a big difference.
The only mods I have made to the Jazz, other than the ScanGauge, have been to the nut behind the wheel.

Reply  Post New Thread