Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
'07 Toyota Matrix - 36MPG

Small Red - '07 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 37.49 mpg (US)
Long lurker from SoCal w/ '07 Matrix

Hey all,

I figure I might as well say hello, since I need 1 more post to be able to post links.

I've been hypermiling for years now, and have done some very light eco-mods. I've done plenty of reading here on Ecomodder. I'm driving a 2007 Toyota Matrix (base) w/ automatic 4-speed tranny.

My mods:
Scangauge II (if this can be counted as one...)
Passenger mirror delete
(Mostly) smooth hubcaps (was running bare steelies before)
Spare tire delete
Rear seat delete
Bunch of misc items delete (All deletions add up to 124.2 lbs of weight loss).

My coworkers and friends think I'm nuts. Some ridicule me. Such is the life of a hypermiler, I guess.. sigh.

Anyways, thanks guys for being my inspiration and source of ideas.

Currently, I'm looking into getting new wheels/tires, since I need ones anyway. Possibly going to go to a lightweight battery, at next replacement too.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2016, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh ya. Forgot to post my #s... Revised EPA combined on my car is 27. I began religiously tracking my fuel economy in 2011. Historically, I used to avg 34 or so. Now, I'm slowly eking my historical average up towards 36... I think I'm at 35.73 (or something like that). If you were to look at only my past year's fillups, I imagine I'd come in around 36.5 or 37.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.17 mpg (US)
Welcome I had lurked in the shadows for awhile on the forum too. I also just came out of the shadows. All I can say is just jump in and learn. Everyone here is very knowledgeable.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Welcome!

Too bad about the auto, but hey - it's ecomodder, not ecoshopper. The point is to make the best of what you have.

EPA rating is only 27? WTH? I mean, I know the revisions shifted everything downward, but dang.

36 is good. Start a garage page for your ride and you can keep track, which is EVERYTHING, as I'm sure the Scangauge has shown you. If you don't measure it, you can't manage it, and the garage page and Scangauge (which definitely counts as a mod - it didn't come stock, did it?) are all about helping you manage.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
MPGee (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Welcome!

Too bad about the auto, but hey - it's ecomodder, not ecoshopper. The point is to make the best of what you have.

EPA rating is only 27? WTH? I mean, I know the revisions shifted everything downward, but dang.

36 is good. Start a garage page for your ride and you can keep track, which is EVERYTHING, as I'm sure the Scangauge has shown you. If you don't measure it, you can't manage it, and the garage page and Scangauge (which definitely counts as a mod - it didn't come stock, did it?) are all about helping you manage.
Thanks, elhigh!

Ya, 27 is ... not good, for a car of its size... I was actually gonna buy a Honda Fit, but at the end of 2006, during the fuel crunch, Honda Fit supplies were strained, and dealers were selling them for a $2-3K premium on top of sticker. So this was option #2.

And what you're saying of making the best you've got, I agree entirely. When an acquaintance found out about this hobby of mine, she asked, "Why don't you just get a Prius and be done with it?" I explained to her that I would just pick up and continue doing the same things I'm already doing with my current car with the Prius...

And oh ya.. Thanks for the tip about the garage page.. So that's how you guys get that neat little stats thing next to your posts... I entered my fuel #s since 9/1/16, and looks like I'm doing better than I thought. 37.87. w00t!
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGee For This Useful Post:
elhigh (10-06-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGee View Post
When an acquaintance found out about this hobby of mine, she asked, "Why don't you just get a Prius and be done with it?" I explained to her that I would just pick up and continue doing the same things I'm already doing with my current car with the Prius...
Exactly.

I'm still surprised that no one appears to have given their car the name La Jamais Contente - Never Satisfied.

You cracked 37 already. Awesome!

There are several other Matrices in the Garage, but unfortunately only you and one other guy appear to be active with them. Anyway, the Matrix is a fairly petite ride and it looks to me like the roofline isn't too awful. I think any aero mods you want to make are going to be pretty productive.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread