Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Panda - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 53.55 mpg (US)

Charles II - '05 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.6 mpg (US)

Fitrari - '07 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.4 mpg (US)
Well just filled up since the new O2 and lowered and only got 44mpg. Very disappointed with that considering I drive like a grandma. Feels like lean burn kicks in. Has that parachute behind me feeling when I try to accelerate in the proper rpm range. Idk what to do next. It's a 5 mpg gain from my last fill up. Back than It was 30 degrees and had a bad O2. Have gone through everything's maintence wise in the engine. Maybe could be the winter fuel giving that horrible mileage. Only thing I know is that my car needs an alignment since the coilover install.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Nice progress. Hang in there, the mileage gains will come. The grille block will help a lot. I've found that with my own VX. I've had it off for about two weeks while I've re-worked my grilled/fog blocks in metal. Man, what a difference I've noticed. About 2 mpg's drop in mileage, and the car feels a good bit more unstable at speed without it.

I still have my original grill block and fog blocks, if you want them. PM me. Of course, my fog blocks are meant to work with OEM fogs, which I see you don't have. But lmk if you want my old set.

Thanks
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Did some more work on the vx today. Work has been super slow this week. Replaced old grounds and added another one. Used 8g monster cable. Still need to replace the negative cable going to the battery. Also removed intake resonator and put holes in the filter box to pull hot air in. We will see if it helps at all.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Added the decal!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Finally swapped my summer tires on(kuhmo solus 175/70r13). Feels much better than the 155/80r13 Firestone winter forces I had on. Coasting speed has defiantly increased. Also my 60mph rpm dropped about 200rpm which puts me below 2k compared to my winter tires.
Performed an alignment as well. My rear toe adjusters are seized so not much I can do. Don't want to risk breaking the bolt going into the body. Got the fronts squared out atleast. LF was a real pain to move. Had to use my torch.
Going to do another fill up and scope out some coroplast tomorrow while I'm off. Hoping for atleast 50 mpg!

Last edited by 92civicvx; 04-22-2015 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Pic
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Just noticed your thread. Has anyone recommended gauges to you. Our foot and our butt dyno cannot be calibrated well enough for optimal driving. For your OBD1 car, you should consider an MPGuino to accurately measure fuel use and a vacuum gauge to properly identify optimal engine load during acceleration. The OBD2 gauges most of us use are not compatible with your car.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92civicvx View Post
.......... Also have to wire up the mpguino. Been seriously slacking on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
...... Has anyone recommended gauges to you. Our foot and our butt dyno cannot be calibrated well enough for optimal driving. For your OBD1 car, you should consider an MPGuino to accurately measure fuel use and a vacuum gauge to properly identify optimal engine load during acceleration. .....
from his first post.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Just noticed your thread. Has anyone recommended gauges to you. Our foot and our butt dyno cannot be calibrated well enough for optimal driving. For your OBD1 car, you should consider an MPGuino to accurately measure fuel use and a vacuum gauge to properly identify optimal engine load during acceleration. The OBD2 gauges most of us use are not compatible with your car.
Thanks. Ya I have a mpguino just not hooked up yet. I hate wiring haha. As for a vacuum gauge waiting on my friend to bring a dual a-pillar gauge to work so I can see if it'll fit. Will have battery voltage and vacuum gauges installed. Also going to install a hand throttle, just need to pick up the kit from farm and fleet. Would love to have "cruise control" considering I go on a few road trips every summer to Missouri and tennesse.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92civicvx View Post
Thanks. Ya I have a mpguino just not hooked up yet. I hate wiring haha. As for a vacuum gauge waiting on my friend to bring a dual a-pillar gauge to work so I can see if it'll fit. Will have battery voltage and vacuum gauges installed. Also going to install a hand throttle, just need to pick up the kit from farm and fleet. Would love to have "cruise control" considering I go on a few road trips every summer to Missouri and tennesse.
That sounds awesome. I missed the MPGuino mention, but I am glad to learn you're also after the vacuum gauge. One of the best hypermiling strategies are the "P&G" and "EOC" ... you accelerate at about 75% or maybe 80% load (vacuum gauge guided) and then cut the engine off at a pre-determined speed (injector cut off switch) then you gide back down 10 or 15 mph, clutch start gently and start the acceleration process again.

The gauges will pay for themselves in a few tanks--a few weeks or a few months. It's the most effective strategy, including better than most mods.

Some of us are more devoted to it as a standard strategy than others. With my car I use it heavily in city driving or freeway traffic. On good open road I cut the engine less often and do a lot more steady cruising, because I have the same super-tall gearing you have in your transmission (I swapped).

Looking foward to your progress.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Finally back to getting 50+ mpg! Hopefully I can keep climbing up to the high 50s.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic vx