Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lupo 3l question

Hi guys. I am about to buy a Lupo 3l 2001. The car is in nice condition, and it is fitted with climatic, which is a big plus. It has 217000km on the odometer. I have never driven a car with automatic gearbox, so I need some advice regarding mileage and gearbox reliability. What should i look out for once i give it the test drive? I have already test driven an A2 3L, It wouldn't shift to the next gear when i gave it a full throttle and didn't let go. However, when i eased off of the gas paddle when it hit high revs, it did select the next gear. Is this normal? I suppose not... I know that the mileage is fine with the engine, but is the gearbox likely to start causing problems at the mileage in question? Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
It's surprising to me that the Audi didn't do the kickdown. Maybe it's due to the shifting point tuning more towards keeping the highest gear possible in order to decrease the RPM required while cruising.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok guys, i have watched this very informative TunekoLTD's video about "How to test VW Lupo or Audi A2 3L pressure accumulator function and change it if needed"
Should I buy the car if it only makes say 2 changes before engaging the pump? How much oil does it need to have in the accumulator reservoir? are the leakages expensive to repair, say if the the pump starts losing the oil? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi guys. I have picked up the car. What i can notice is that it will keep high gear at very low revs, when i do the accumulator test, the pump switches on after the very first shift. And one more thing... The car can hit 120km/h and it wont go faster withthe gas floored. It wont go past 2500rpm. Any advice greatly appreciated...
Old 04-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwcham1979 View Post
It wont go past 2500rpm.
That's odd. You might need to get the ECM reflashed to change the RPM limit.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hiya, Im on my second one & have done a lot of miles in them. They do have a kick down function like a normal auto & they should do 180kmh+ just, 160 is easy enough, might be a turbo sticking causing it to overboost & go in "go-slow" mode.

Sounds like you need to do a basic gearbox setting, its easy enough but you will need vagcom/VCDS (or a copy of will do with the right plug) & a laptop. This will reset the basic functions but I'd suggest to change the sphere thing first they are cheap enough on ebay or even from VW.

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
might be a turbo sticking causing it to overboost & go in "go-slow" mode
You mean a BOV sticking?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
You mean a BOV sticking?
No - These have a VATN Turbo, aka variable vane, they stick & cause overboosting.

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi guys. Udate on the situation. On my way to a Skoda dealer. when i started to accelerate on the freeway, the car went like a little beast, all fine, 140-150km/h a joke, but only for a brief 30sec, then decreased speed to 120km/h. the mechanic took a look, fiddled with a little clamp thingy near the turbo, said it moves with difficulty, blew with his mouth into a tiny hose, said it is clogged, so the turbo needs to be taken out and looked at. As for the pressure accumulator, he said it is good to replace it, and also the hoses resealed because there might be a leak as well. He said the hydraulic oil was at min and topped up with steering wheel servo oil. On my way home, the car was horrible, nmax speed 100km/h, struggled in 4th, changed to fifth, than back to fourth, then went to neutral kind of, with the stick in D mode. No response from gas pedal. I stopped on the yellow lane, switched off the car, switched on and i started to shift... When i came back home, i opened the hood. Somehow, the oil the the mechanic had topped owerflowed somewhat even though the cap was tightened, and greased and sprinkled close by. I have now driven some 10 extra-urban km, and it shifts fine.... I am totally confused now...
Old 04-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

What a strange situation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
No - These have a VATN Turbo, aka variable vane, they stick & cause overboosting.
No wonder some folks still prefer an old-school fixed-geometry turbo.

Reply  Post New Thread