Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Honda Head

Rescue Toaster - '90 Honda Civic
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
Making a HOW-TO hypermile video... need advice

after acquiring some gopro gear and a good 8-9 years of hypermiling, before i found this forum even.. i believe i want my first project to be a "how to hyper mile" series consisting of 3 levels... and some input would be nice. Ive been driving for uber, and have done pizza delivery in the past where i initially developed some hyper miling techniques, and i want to share it to the uber forum as well

The first would cover the basics, that your burning gasoline to move the vehicle... so the accelerator is putting energy in, the brakes are wasting it, covering basic principals of driving without brakes and energy management, training your right foot to be a little more sensitive, and looking ahead for possible stops and obstacles, overall situational awareness, and route selection, and keeping your vehicle in shape and tires inflated

the 2nd would cover more specific and slightly more advanced hypermiling, like using land marks on your local routes to count down how far your car will roll(leading into engine off coasting in the future), how to handle hills, which im still not even entirely sure is the best way, and how to deal with tail gaters and other angry people that dont like to roll to a stop

the third would cover more of the fringe benefits and advanced issues, like engine off coasting, zero idling, pulse and glide, maintaining momentum through corners when it is safe, all the weird things such as parking lot orbiting and pushing your car in reverse so you dont have to start it right away

ANY INPUT on the script or main ideas covered would be great, as i plan on making this for the total layman and/or young pizza delivery driver

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

"Headless Norseman" -- you didn't happen to go to Luther, did you?

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

little jona - '91 Dodge D 250 first gen cummins LE
Team Streamliner
90 day: 23.4 mpg (US)

Little Jona airo modded - '91 Dodge RAM 3/4 TON D 250 2×4 AUTO
Pickups
Team Cummins
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

The Salted Hound Jenny. - '87 Dodge Ram 50/D-50 5sp 4X4
90 day: 20.24 mpg (US)

Jona Allison aero - '91 Dodge Ram D-250 Le
90 day: 20.76 mpg (US)
Suggestions.

Include
level 1
how to use a vacuum gage(gas) pyrometer/EGT (diesel) . how to verify the lie-o-meter(built in mpg display) is as the name implies. How to verify odometer errors (up to 9.9% is acceptable by law for speed and distance, per the repair/ certification shop) ,how to compensate for the error.

level 2
Database/data access like the MP Guino, Bluetooth, or others . How to use Google Maps bike transportation to get route grade profile. This only works on approved bike routes no interstate. See attached.

Level 3
include a disclaimer of viewing video is acceptances of hold blabliss... As level 3 is for advanced things like dropping off Donner Pass EOC, without P/S, P/brakes. Holding the 70mph speed limit (EOC) through corners marked 55mph advised (DWOB) And drafting. And a few others I am not willing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elevation plot  bike route google maps.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	21120  
Best mpg : 31.32mpg 100mi 3.193 USG 5/2/20

Former
'83 GMC S-15 Jimmy 2door 2wd O/D auto 3.73R&P
'79 Chevy K20 4X4 350ci 400hp msd custom th400 /np205. 7.5-new 14mpg modded befor modding was a thing
87' Hyundai Excel
83 ranger w/87 2.9 L FI2wd auto 18mpg on the floor
04 Mitsubishi Gallant 2.4L auto 26mpg
06 Subaru Forrester XT(WRX PACKAGE) MT AWD Turbocharged 18 plying dirty best of 26mpg@70mph
95Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 14-18mpg
04 Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 16-22mpg

The Following User Says Thank You to gumby79 For This Useful Post:
HeadlesNorseman (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
and how to deal with tail gaters and other angry people that dont like to roll to a stop
Try it in a Volt!
In "L" the car slows a lot quicker than engine braking, depending on your right foot's input on the gas pedal, but it doesn't turn on the brake lights. My Insight had a brake regen button I installed that turned on the brake lights when I hit the regen button, but the Volt just slows like you downshifted a couple of gears without any warning to people behind you. Sometimes I'll tap the brake pedal with my left foot just so the guy behind me has a little heads up

If I could come up with a way to make that big triangle reverse light turn green during regen that would probably help, at least the people behind me would know something was up. Wish I was smart enough to make that happen!

Actually, I wish the engineers had thought that out a little better.

Last edited by cowmeat; 01-06-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

More helpfully than my previous post, you might start by watching some of the many hypermiling videos on YouTube already (a few folks have whole channels devoted to it) and see what you can add to the discussion. Some of them are cringeworthy and/or discouraging, others are pretty good.

For example, this CNET video is not bad. In about 3 minutes, it broadly covers the hows and whys, touches on simple maintenance stuff, and goes through the fundamental efficient driving techniques that everyone should be doing like leaving plenty of following distance and accelerate/brake as little as necessary. It even mentions some advanced techniques (with caveats), and has pretty good production values.

This one, on the other hand, is discouraging (without being helpful) and mediocre production values.

Here's a decent ride-along video where the guy kinda makes up the script as he goes:

That's just a sampling of the first page or two of hits I got when searching for "hypermile" on YouTube. There are no doubt better and worse videos to be found.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
HeadlesNorseman (01-06-2017), Xist (01-11-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Try it in a Volt!

Actually, I wish the engineers had thought that out a little better.
this is pretty much what i was thinking... that seems like an oversight on the design end. ive always wanted a first gen insight... i never seem to find one thats affordable when i have the money.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Honda Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post

That's just a sampling of the first page or two of hits I got when searching for "hypermile" on YouTube. There are no doubt better and worse videos to be found.

I did not go anywhere named luther.. haha. im from NJ. ive seen some of them but none of them are really entertaining or overly informative (the science behind it that makes it make sense) but i havent looked in a while
Old 01-06-2017, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlesNorseman View Post
I did not go anywhere named luther.. haha. im from NJ. ive seen some of them but none of them are really entertaining or overly informative (the science behind it that makes it make sense) but i havent looked in a while
Haha, okay. I ask because I did (it's a small midwestern college with Scandinavian heritage if you didn't know), and sometimes anonymous editorial comment/humor was posted in the school newspaper in the "Headless Norseman" column.

I'm eager to see what you come up with... it seems like a lot of interest went into hypermiling advocacy in 2008/2009 during the recession and when gas prices went up, but things cooled off since. Something fresh would be great.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Here's some more stuff I stumbled across. There was a thread a few years ago asking members to show off their techniques: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eos-18618.html

And Mister MetroMPG himself made this in 1993: The Next Time You Get Gas

All very good stuff, I think.

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-10-2017 at 11:25 PM..
Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Jakobnev, in response to http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post531706, said
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
We should have our own car show.
I keep thinking about it, I just do not know who wants to watch me.

I am curious what other videos are already out there. If any of them are any good, why have we not discussed them yet?

Reply  Post New Thread