Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Frank is messing with you. "Viola" = a stringed instrument a little larger than a violin. Like the relationship between a cornet and a trumpet.

You are aware the front seats of the Previa sit right on top of that engine hump, right? Is there even enough headroom to lower the roof like you show?
Oh I see, thanks
Im around 5,10 in height, and there's considerable headroom inside the van so I think it should be okay.
I have an extreme conversion idea where the engine would actually be moved further back to make a jumbo sized supercar design.
VWVortex.com - Vortex'ers, converting a mid engine van (Previa) into a jumbo sized sports car? VZX content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
As far as this concept, how aboat start small and work your way into things ?

I really like the look of the design though. Keep up the art !
Thanks... I have some other smaller idea like making a 1/5 scale toy car and front kit conversion for my 90's 300zx using my CNC machine. These smaller project would ensure my other ideas except it would take a longtime to get there.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts

The bottom pic is the clearest exposition of your concept. By my onscreen measurement, the wheelbase discrepancy is 94%. The discrepancy in wheel diameter is 88%. Imagine a mannequin into the driver's seat. The windshield header will be coincident with the driver's forehead. But enough about the details.

There are things that are hard to move on a car body, like the cowl height and beltline. That's why you see show cars that are sectioned or have a chopped top, but what you don't see as much are slab sides and beltlines resculpted as you show.

Try this: Start with the stock Previa body and apply a slant chop. The stock roofline's highest point is over the middle seats. Essentially you would cut a slit across the top of the windshield and take 6-8" out of the rear posts. The rear seat disappears and the middle seat moves down and back (else a shag carpet and water bed interior).

The roof could follow Thee Holy Template which would gain a lot of cred on Ecomodder. I would then graft in the rear hatch from a Dodge Magnum since I rilly dig those. The aggressive fender flares could be body-kitted over the slab sides.

You could start the slant chop at the bottom of the windshield, but good luck with that.

Edit: Oh, my. You could have started over fresh at Ecomodder, but you posted that VWVortex thread. They're not very polite to you there, are they?

So the way I get it is that you are living in the Previa in question, with a CNC router taking up the whole back end. Is that about it?

Last edited by freebeard; 11-30-2015 at 04:09 PM..
Old 11-30-2015, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

But, it's not exactly a new concept:

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Okay, now that I've read some of the Vortex thread--what do you intend here? To make a van that has some styling cues from a Ferrari? Or a van that will get around a track as fast as a car, or at least faster than it can now? The latter seems like it would be a much more rewarding project.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Purely for looks!

I havent had time to read the rest of the thread yet... but here is the Vortex thread I made about this also.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...hart-you-think
I think finding a Prius in the junkyard and replanting its canopy would be the best option.

Here is a picture of me sitting above the engine without the thick seats... if I adopt some sport seats, the inside distance to the windshield and roof should be decent.

edit
Prius top

Last edited by Arashi; 11-30-2015 at 09:14 PM..
Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

How about this? Cut the Previa body all around 6-8" above the rocker panel. Obtain somehow a front-engined Japanese two seat coupe, an XZ or a VX or something and drop it on. Cut out the floorboards of the coupe to acccess the mid-engine as necessary. This will raise the wheelwells on the coupe body to clear your donk-mobile rims.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That VW van looks nice... but I need to keep costs as low as possible.
Chopping the top and welding in the Prius should take care of all the major body work needed. The rest would be an add on body-kit and new headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

The bottom pic is the clearest exposition of your concept. By my onscreen measurement, the wheelbase discrepancy is 94%. The discrepancy in wheel diameter is 88%. Imagine a mannequin into the driver's seat. The windshield header will be coincident with the driver's forehead. But enough about the details.
I will be making a virtual build using 3d models including more compact seats to make sure theres proper spacing .

There are things that are hard to move on a car body, like the cowl height and beltline. That's why you see show cars that are sectioned or have a chopped top, but what you don't see as much are slab sides and beltlines resculpted as you show.
I feel cowl height may be a little problem once the seats are lower... but hopefully not too bad.

Try this: Start with the stock Previa body and apply a slant chop. The stock roofline's highest point is over the middle seats. Essentially you would cut a slit across the top of the windshield and take 6-8" out of the rear posts. The rear seat disappears and the middle seat moves down and back (else a shag carpet and water bed interior).
I think the Prius top would be perfect for this... I'd just have to adopt the Prius power windows to work with the Previa controls.

The roof could follow Thee Holy Template which would gain a lot of cred on Ecomodder. I would then graft in the rear hatch from a Dodge Magnum since I rilly dig those. The aggressive fender flares could be body-kitted over the slab sides.
Im thinking more of the Lambo SUV for the rear hatch... and FORD Bronco concept for the sides as I already have the 3D's for them.

You could start the slant chop at the bottom of the windshield, but good luck with that.

Edit: Oh, my. You could have started over fresh at Ecomodder, but you posted that VWVortex thread. They're not very polite to you there, are they?
We have a love hate relationship

So the way I get it is that you are living in the Previa in question, with a CNC router taking up the whole back end. Is that about it?
No I live in an apartment but yes my CNC machine is in the back of the van
Old 12-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I think the Prius top would be perfect for this... I'd just have to adopt the Prius power windows to work with the Previa controls.
One year in the 80s, at the Oregon Country Fair, I saw a VW Type II pickup that had the roof of a 1950 Kaiser grafted on. It had a nice fastback roofline.

Have you compared widths? It would only take a discrepancy of 3-4" to complexify things. If you want to use Prius power windows, those will be in the doors. Then you are looking at whether the door cutlines match. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I certainly do not want to discourage your ideas, but I have to ask ... why ? Why that you are set on doing this project when you don't have the money ?
( I am 'poor' myself ! )

Have you welded before ? What about doing custom fabrication ?
I have my own fantasy project car, but it would take every penny I own to create it.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...shop-6720.html

I made a physical model of it, and a 3D model as well for aerodynamic testing.
I haven't read much of this thread, so maybe I am misunderstanding, but I would think that your skill would be better used designing these vehicles in 2D / 3D.

Another idea of mine :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hape-5924.html

I like your art. I really do, and I think others will too.
Please do not feel discouraged.
I just think you are exerting a lot of time and effort on something that is better left as a concept.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
One year in the 80s, at the Oregon Country Fair, I saw a VW Type II pickup that had the roof of a 1950 Kaiser grafted on. It had a nice fastback roofline.

Have you compared widths? It would only take a discrepancy of 3-4" to complexify things. If you want to use Prius power windows, those will be in the doors. Then you are looking at whether the door cutlines match. Good luck.
Thank you. That VW would be interesting to see...

The Prius top falls into Previa which is important... but hopefully adapting the windows wont be too difficult.
Previa width 71-68= 3 inch difference.

Previa wheelbase 112-106= 6 inche difference
I did some quick overlays and this is the angle of the roof line where the Prius window aligns to the Previa. Looks okay.

Quote:
I certainly do not want to discourage your ideas, but I have to ask ... why ? Why that you are set on doing this project when you don't have the money ?
( I am 'poor' myself ! )
I want to have a nice looking car to attract beautiful females and also to make a money making business out of selling kit car designs.

Quote:
Have you welded before ? What about doing custom fabrication ?
I have my own fantasy project car, but it would take every penny I own to create it.
Interesting designs in those threads, I specially like the "Gangster Grin" Hot Wheels toy.
I'll have to contract the welding and fabricating out... the rest I may be able to do myself.

Quote:
I like your art. I really do, and I think others will too.
Please do not feel discouraged.
I just think you are exerting a lot of time and effort on something that is better left as a concept.
Thanks, I would love to do other designs, but I think I found a good combination here of looks and overall conversion costs.

Here's a 3D I put together with the Lambo SUV face.
Previa Concept - Video Dailymotion

Last edited by Arashi; 12-02-2015 at 12:57 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread