Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Making use of the Wiki Tire inflation

Ok let the fun begin.

I am working on the mod for tire pressure to max side wall (or close to it). there is lots of comments on how this does or does not work. I feel that it does in most cases and will make the page in that manner.

Anyone have data on increasing tire pressure helping their MPG? If so please add it to the wiki, or post it here so I can add it.

If you think that this is a bunch of junk read this:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ods-14252.html

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Weather Spotter, looks like a great wiki page, I am hoping your 3.2% increase is realistic but at this stage with my current understanding i doubt it will be that high. Id be interested to know if anyone has done an ABA test on this, i might search the forums later tonight. Also I was looking at doing my own set of ABA tests which would include this one, just have to wait for good weather.

Could you put in the pressure of your tires before and after as this will make a big difference for MPG gains.
Ill post my results when I get around to doing the test.
thanks for starting up this wiki
Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
I had a search through the forums tonight, looks like MPG data for this mod is hard to find. I think its related to the issue that when changing tire pressure the radius of the tire changes so the standard way of testing improvement (via a scangauge MPG read out) gives bad results.
There are several coast down tests done by different people which involve measuring distance covered when starting at a particular location on a hill incline that goes to a flat road section. I have put one of these in the summary table until anyone can provide an MPG improvement
Old 08-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Link to wiki page: Increase tire pressure to max sidewall - EcoModder

I went back though my MPG spread sheet and revised my data. It turns out I also got new tires so I had to toss out the old data. I can say that they gave me a 1/2 MPG gain (1.5%) for sure, it might have been more. Different tires had different results. the numbers here are for my current tires.

ABA testing would be tricky, tire temp would make a big difference on the results. So warm up car and drive train (tires to) and do A runs. Change pressure and let tires cool off (2 or more hours), re warm up car and tires (same # of miles as first time) do B runs. Repeat for A2. Hope like crazy the winds stay steady over the course of the test runs.