Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2015, 02:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

From Malaysia with a 1652lb Nissan Pulsar

Hello there all

I am an artist and a designer
Have been lurking around reading about the mods and tech here for months!

The idea is to make a simple lightweight vehicle to improve on the fuel efficiency via weight reduction (Trying to beat the Lotus Elise's weight)

Car - Nissan Pulsar N12 Coupe Model 1984
OEM Weight is about 1902lb (Wikipedia)

I have managed to remove about 250lb off the car by deleting the rear seats, spare wheel, body panels, power steering system, air conditioning system, using a pair of racing lightweight seats, lighter coilovers on 4 corners, lightweight 14 inch aluminium wheels (Instead of 15'' steelies), lightest battery available on budget and even removing some unnecessary bolts and nuts.

The weight loss was also contributed by the removal of the engine's EFi and Turbocharging System being replaced by a single OEM SU carburetor setup with the engine and manual transmission being fully rebuilt to enhance the reliability and again the fuel consumption. The Nissan E13 (1300cc) and E15 (1500cc) has been well known in Asia for low fuel consumption which my E15 has been rebored to 1600cc using OEM flat head pistons instead of the OEM low compression pistons.

Also made a small air dam on the front grille that connects to the radiator to divert air flow away from the underbody with lowered overall body height from the help of the adjustable coilovers which may have help make it a little more aerodynamic

The car runs about 74 - 80 Miles per 2.77 Gallons of any RON95 Fuel
(I think our RON 95 is equivalent with the U.S RON 93)
Running @ constant 3000-4500 RPM plus usual congestion in the city
** Mileage above is based on using 15inch steelies and I have yet to try the 14inch aluminium which is 35lb lighter all 4 corners with tyres on

Not sure what is next but I do use the car daily and for a bit of competitive driving on the tracks, I really would like to enhance the aerodynamics and maybe make it even lighter , ideas warmly welcome!!

And thanks for reading and for the inspiration
Sorry for using a less eco friendly carburetor setup

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The constant velocity carb is no slouch for efficiency and emissions is probably not bad when it's running right.

regards
mech

Reply  Post New Thread