Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts
You have strengthened my resolve to not go below the existing floor! A[n un]common modification to VWs is to move the front suspension beam forward 8" to lengthen the wheelbase. At 8" the steering gearbox still fits under an uncut hood. That's a space that's 8x24" at the lowest point in the car.

It looks like you will be sealing together aluminum, steel and wood. What do you think of two layers of burlap in Rhinoliner as an undercoat?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2016, 10:46 PM   #122 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It looks like you will be sealing together aluminum, steel and wood. What do you think of two layers of burlap in Rhinoliner as an undercoat?
I recognize Rhinoliner as a spray-in box liner.

Burlap - as in the burlap used to make potato sacks? Is that a structure for the Rhinoliner to build up, maybe that flexes a bit and allows for movement between the surfaces?

How would I keep the burlap in place? Rivets .. screws .. over-sized staples .. glue? Perhaps one layer of Rhinoliner, then the burlap, then liner, then burlap?

This sounds interesting!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,576 Times in 7,062 Posts
I think you've got it. Makes a composite material—burlap has an open weave that will wet better than fiberglass and Rhinoloner is effective undercoating.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Anything to update us with?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #125 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
I have very little progress to report:

- working on the motor mount for the opposite drive end of the motor. The drive end couples to the transmission, the opposite side is not quite lined up for the old motor mount but it should work OK. My metal fabrication skills are poor.
- Working on the mount for the controller, that connects to the motor mount and the transmission
- working on the support for the passenger' side axle, from the controller mount

- got the fittings (angles, reduction, clamps) and the pump rough-fit to the radiator. No power to test as yet. No connection to the controller until the controller mount is done.

- got the controller, contactors, fuses, and various other electrical stuff rough layout on a copy of the backplate of an enclosure that seems like it might fit OK over the controller. The top will be plexiglass and transparent so you can troubleshoot a couple of things with the cover on.

So lots of planning and not so much to show for it!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #126 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
So lots of planning and not so much to show for it!
Sounds familiar!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
A bit of progress to report. I will look back through my pictures and see if I have something to post as I have not updated in a while:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
- working on the motor mount for the opposite drive end of the motor. The drive end couples to the transmission, the opposite side is not quite lined up for the old motor mount but it should work OK. My metal fabrication skills are poor.
Motor mount is fabricated and installed. I think I took pictures - will look for them this week

Quote:
- Working on the mount for the controller, that connects to the motor mount and the transmission
Controller mount is at revision 0 - there is something there and it SHOULD hold up the controller, at about the right height

Quote:
- working on the support for the passenger' side axle, from the controller mount
Axle support is in. Some vertical adjustment is available so I should not kill the bearings on the transmission .. at least immediately ... no horizontal adjustment so I hope it is aligned. Will search for some pictures

Quote:
- got the fittings (angles, reduction, clamps) and the pump rough-fit to the radiator. No power to test as yet. No connection to the controller until the controller mount is done.
Fittings mounted to the heater core, radiator, circulating pump, and controller. Heater core was flushed with water until it ran ... not quite clear but less icky? Same with radiator. Circulation checked through controller chill plate and the water does flow but I can't test whether it leaks between the three chill plate grooves. I guess I'll have to see if the controller develops more heat on one IGBT than the others?. Again, looking for pics

Quote:
- got the controller, contactors, fuses, and various other electrical stuff rough layout on a copy of the backplate of an enclosure that seems like it might fit OK over the controller. The top will be plexiglass and transparent so you can troubleshoot a couple of things with the cover on.
Not much progress here. The base is cut from OSB and mounted. No cover, and I'm at version 0.1 on the arrangement of the parts and pieces

I cut a cover for my spare tire bay, which is going to have a maintenance disconnect switch, a shunt and a couple of fuses mounted on it. Perhaps even a volt/amp combo meter. I'm working on arranging the parts and cutting peek-a-boo holes so I can check on the status by lifting the carpet but not the cover. Likely the covers will be cut from plastic box lids that I'm not using for their intended purpose

The #00 cable is run from the spare tire bay to the controller mount, under the car, supported in 5 places. It is not High Voltage orange as yet - I need to get some loom and other miscellaneous stuff from EVTV
Old 01-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was not able to source Rhinoliner, the brushable stuff, locally. I found a rubberized coating that I hope will work out.

I ended up using sheet aluminum and doing some forming/bending/bashing to mostly get the gaps closed up. After it bumps down the road a bit, I'll see whether there are gaps to cover. The rubber coating seems to be a good mix of adhesive and flexible caulking. I guess I'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-17-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #129 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
It's been a while - first of a few updates

The Mazda project has suffered from some SERIOUS neglect ...

Here is the oldest update that I don't believe I have posted as yet. I can't find any reference to it, anyway.

All the way from July 11 of 2016 (!!!!)

https://youtu.be/8lSdgrqEKd0
Old 09-06-2017, 11:36 PM   #130 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
It's been a while - the second of a few updates

This is part of my design process for determining where things in the enclosure need to go

Decisions made so far:
- weatherproof or splashproof enclosure
- the controller will be mounted to the bottom of the encosure, through a hole
- the liquid cooling stays outside the enclosure
- high voltage items on the left
- low voltage items on the right
- controller in the middle
- use bent and drilled buss bar connected to insulators where cables with lugs just won't fit

https://youtu.be/XGtsmmaMnUo

I likely made a bunch of assumptions as well - that I don't remember very well since it was OVER A YEAR AGO!

When did my todo list get this out of hand? Over a YEAR behind publishing video!

Reply  Post New Thread