Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
The toughest standard is something like 0.02g/mile NOx (need to check on that again), which works out to something in the tens of ppm depending on how much fuel you burn in a mile.

I think if you drop the combustion temperature by a little bit it is easy to go below 100ppm (which should be able to squeak by the minimum standards on a smaller engine car). HCCI supposedly should be able to control the burn speed so that maximum temperature is lower.

I am not sure exactly how this works, but my hunch is that they use a lot of hot EGR to control the charge temperature (to induce autoignition) and reduce the burn temperature, and somehow avoid knock.
Cooled EGR, plus intercooled supercharging. Gives you a nice, dense, temperature controlled mix in the cylinder that's primed to go off when the small ball of "rich" air-fuel mixture around the plug ignites.

I bet they're using supercharging so they can keep using the long-tube scavenging header of the naturally aspirated SkyActiv G. But I haven't seen the engine fully dressed yet, so I could be wrong.

SkyActiv X is going to be wild. And it won't be using unobtanium engine internals, stratospheric injection pressures or ridiculously fast and expensive knock detectors.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread