Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
No shoes.

How many of you take your shoes off to drive, and has it proven to improve fuel efficiency? By how much?
I'd consider it for long journeys, but it seems a hassle for anything less than an hour behind the wheel.
Take it you have to keep the footwell spotless? No grit and gravel!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
My dad likes to wear moccasins while driving, but I really don't know if it does lead to any improvement in the fuel-savings. I usually drive wearing boots, but when I'm using snickers I don't feel any difference in fuel-efficiency.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
My first vehicle was a manual with no tach, and I often had the music up. I drove barefoot so I could feel the revs of the engine, and I've carried the habit over.

I feel I have better fine control of the throttle - many struggle with staying in lean burn in the Insight, because after a certain throttle position it drops out and you have to feather it back in, but I've never had a problem.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I learned to drive in an Opel Corsa with no tach, and I honestly don't remember having ever driven barefoot to figure out if it makes any difference in the feelings of the revving of the engine. But anyway, it makes me wonder if a disabled driver who uses hand controls would be able to have such an improved feeling of the revving.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

BlueBawls - '14 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
90 day: 48.47 mpg (US)

Eddie - '02 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I drive barefoot all summer long. Wear flip flops so u can kick them off. I only really wear shoes during winter so don't have a baseline for mpg. Mpg drops like a rock during winter months anyways. I do have a lot better feel for the throttle and seem to get better milage shoeless easier to shift as well. Every once in a while slip the clutch due to boots getting stuck due to tiny pedal space.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
I have an old pair of thin ballroom dancing shoes in the back of the garage. I'll maybe give them a try.
There’s a great level of uncertainty surrounding whether or not it’s illegal to drive barefoot in the UK, with numerous reasons cited as to why you’re breaking the law if you do so.
Here is the law in a nutshell: it is not illegal to drive in the UK without shoes on and the same applies for wearing flip flops - there is a catch though.
You can get behind the wheel of a vehicle barefoot or while wearing flip flops, provided you are able to operate the controls safely. If you do so with wet feet, for example, you might be putting yourself, your passengers and other road users at risk by not being able to drive the car safely. This is illegal.
And while it's not illegal to drive without shoes on, that doesn’t mean it’s right.
According to the Driving Standards Agency – the body that regulates the UK driving test – “suitable shoes are particularly important behind the wheel. We would not recommend driving barefoot because you don’t have the same braking force with bare feet as you do with shoes on.”

Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

I find wearing shoes that there is a lot more slipping on the pedals. And how does a shoe dictate how hard u can hit the brakes? Lol killin me smalls I can lock up my breaks with just my big toe so I'll call that a mute point.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14'ecocruze View Post
I can lock up my breaks with just my big toe.
Perhaps not with a piece of sharp gravel between the pedal and your foot!
Driving Standard edict probably dates back to 1935 and the UK's first driving test. Back in the days of no discs, no servos and rod and cable brakes.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
CruzeMTgrind

Lol good point on the dating of laws. Maybe an update is in order. I don't know of anyone who has ever received a ticket for driving barefoot though. Fyi my floor mats look like crap a little gravel keeps ya alert.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I tend to use CC a lot so my car doesn't care what my right foot is wearing.

But I do DWL from time to time, mostly accelerating with just enough pressure to prevent the revs from rising.
When I hit the sweet spot I gently slide my foot against the center console to keep the pedal steady in position.
Not all shoes are equally fit for that. I doubt I could do that barefoot(ish) in any comfort.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread