Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Need a new muffler for 92 vx, what to get?

My muffler on my VX is toast. It has a hole in the bottom and now sounds like a coffee can mod

I am looking for a "stock" muffler that will keep me as close to OEM as possible. Any ideas or should I simply just take it down to the muffler shop and get one? I can install and weld it myself, just looking for a good OEM (close as possible) replacement that will keep it nice and quiet like it is suppose to be.

Any input would great, thank you very much.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Check at the dealers around you, their prices can vary a lot but often you can get a stock muffler for close to the same price as a parts store muffler, at that point it will also have a warranty for as long as you own the car, their quality is a bit higher then any after market stock styled muffler that I've seen.

Other option of course is the auto parts store.
Either way, get a new gasket and bolt kit because the bolts often break when you remove them, then it takes ten minutes to install.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, I'll give the dealer a call this monday when they are open and see what the options are. I was hoping to keep it around $100, hopefully less.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not bad here $135 plus shipping and that's all bolt on, no welding : Honda Automotive Parts
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Stick with OEM at that price. Why weld a new muffler to an old pipe that is probably pretty thin anyway.

regards
Mech
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Usually they will forego the shipping if you let them order it with their normal stock instead of a special order. Check around if you have choices and keep them honest. Strap a piece of tin over the hole so you don't get a ticket while you are waiting for the part. Carry a copy of the bill (assuming they make you pay in advance to avoid the shipping charges) and most cops will not ticket you as well as most judges will not convict you if you have meade earnest attempts to fix the muffler ASA practical.

regards
Mech
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Agreed. I'm going to put together a small parts list from that honda store (where I get all of my parts) and get it ordered up. Just got done with new clutch/flywheel etc... timing belt, alternator belt, and completely resealing the engine and tranny. Runs like a top. Just finishing up some of the less vital things now (speakers, mpguino, muffler, power locks, clock addition)
Old 02-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Old Mechanic: are you referring to the dealer or the parts shops online about the shipping charges?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dealership. If they can order your part with their regular stock order, why should they charge you any shipping? They are getting a truck load of parts that are billed together for freight from the manufacturer.

Even a non dealer parts store gets loads of stock on a regular basis. In either case, if I don't have to have the part tomorrow, then I try to avoid being billed for shipping.

Look at it this way, they don't charge you shipping for something sitting on the shelf. Why should you pay additional shipping for something that came in the same truck?

regards
Mech
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Agreed, I just wasn't sure if you were referring to the brick and mortor dealership or the online ones. I will give the local one a call and see, but I expect it to be much more expensive there.

Reply  Post New Thread