Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

65 foot pounds is a LOT of force. IMO even 10 foot pounds at a reasonable RPM would make a big difference and be a lot cheaper.

why not use freon and your existing AC compressor?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
65 foot pounds is a LOT of force. IMO even 10 foot pounds at a reasonable RPM would make a big difference and be a lot cheaper.
That motor wouldn't put out 65 foot pounds all of the time, that figure is at something like 412 amps, 48v so the motor would be under a lot of load, 10 foot pounds is 113 amps or about 5.5hp http://www.go-ev.com/images/003_05_0...preadSheet.jpg but as I said, that Warp 7 motor is a little larger then the cheaper more common golf cart motor, but I'm sourcing it's specs because it's only .55" larger around and it's other specs look pretty close, also if someone wanted to use an off the shelf motor it would be a good choice.

Quote:

why not use freon and your existing AC compressor?
I don't fallow you there, how can I use freon to and an ac compressor to power my car? aside from that my civic doesn't have A/C, it was an option but it was never added, seems like that is the case with about half of the civics of the same vintage as mine, leaving a large open space where I can bolt something to the engine block with a straight shot to the crank shaft pulley.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
www.howtobuildahybrid.com

Has anyone looked at rewiring your alternator? I haven’t studied that style of a conversation in detail but I bet you could go from a parasitic 1 hp draw to a 1 hp electric assist (2 hp net!). Unless you want to get fancy with a controller that can regen at low battery levels, you’ll just need to make sure you have enough battery power to make it to your destination! (FYI – I do regen at low battery levels, breaking, and idle – which did forced me to buy and not build the controller).
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
My alternator is less then a 1hp electrical draw seeing as how it has a 60 amp fuse, I haven't looked for a while at how hard it is to turn an alternator in to a motor but it's more then just rewinding it, you need a hale effect sensor to see where in the rotation it is and an AC speed controller, all in all it seemed like a lot more work then pulling the alternator and replacing it with a dc to dc converter and more costly then bolting a $150 golf cart motor on where the ac compressor would bolt on if my car came with one, DC motor speed controllers are also cheap and common, I forgot that I even have a spare that I bought because it was $100.

Reply  Post New Thread