Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
So is it more fuel efficient to turn on the AC full blast to cool the car then turn it off and then back on when it's hot again or to just leave it one a lower setting to keep the car at a constant cool?
Just to be clear, I NEVER use my A/C's highest setting. What I meant by toggling on and off, while maintaining air circulation, is that I press the A/C button. This is the button with the "snowflake" on it. In other words, I'm likely to leave the setting on "2" throughout my drive. Also, I'm likely to use the "recirculate" setting throughout as well. This is technically not using the air conditioner, unless you've pushed the respective button.

The concept is basically the same as any other method of conservation. By limiting your use of the air conditioner, you are actively conserving fuel.

I hope this helps you understand what I'm talking about. I'm certainly more confused now.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
My rule of thumb is to use it as needed to remain comfortable. Hotter temps can cause physiological stress that can effect your driving and your perception as well as your reaction times. I'm much more alert when I'm cool, and get drowsy when it's warmer in the car. I'll take the penalty to remain comfortable and safe.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
My rule of thumb is to use it as needed to remain comfortable. Hotter temps can cause physiological stress that can effect your driving and your perception as well as your reaction times. I'm much more alert when I'm cool, and get drowsy when it's warmer in the car. I'll take the penalty to remain comfortable and safe.
Couldn't agree with you more. It's becoming increasingly important to me to remain cool while driving in the hotter summer months.

My original point was that in the Chevrolet Malibu, I was able to remain cool without even using the A/C for 9/10s of the time.

Remaining cool while not running the A/C in most cars seems impossible. Desirable, but impossible. The malibu's cooling system combined the best aspects of these worlds. I'm able to cool the cabin to a comfortable level, shut the a/c down and still feel cool for the remainder of my trip.

This is what I'm saying: I'M IN AWE. THIS IS A HYPERMILER/ECOMODDER'S WET DREAM, so to speak.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Making Ecomods a G thing

Angie - '08 Infiniti G35 X
90 day: 22.03 mpg (US)
on my upcoming roadtrip I'll be letting my girlfriend control the AC (YRMV, depending on your significant other) becuase her comfort range in the car is smaller than mine. she complains of it being to cold before I do, as well as complains of the heat before me. Ultimately it will average out fairly well, it won't get as cold, but also won't get as warm before she adjusts it.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Easy and cheap mods would be covering the dash with something insulating and reflective. A couple hundred would buy you good, metalized, heat-rejecting tint. It might be fairly easy to insulate your ducting into the cabin (be careful of the airbags!). More pricey would be to repaint part or all of the car with at least a brighter paint but perhaps even some of that new ($$$) heat rejecting paint (not available in a good black yet). Sheepskin seat covers are serving me pretty well too.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
SwamiSalami (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Great call on the dash covers. I've been wanting to get one for both of my cars for some time. My beetle's dash is gigantic and, of course, black.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dieselbeetle -

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbeetle View Post
Great call on the dash covers. I've been wanting to get one for both of my cars for some time. My beetle's dash is gigantic and, of course, black.
Yeah, I have a black dash cover for my dark brown dash. I don't think you want a reflective dash cover. You still need a dark color, otherwise the color of the dash will reflect onto the window. At least that's what happens to me.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 07-17-2011 at 12:25 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Joenavy85 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenavy85 View Post
on my upcoming roadtrip I'll be letting my girlfriend control the AC (YRMV, depending on your significant other) becuase her comfort range in the car is smaller than mine. she complains of it being to cold before I do, as well as complains of the heat before me. Ultimately it will average out fairly well, it won't get as cold, but also won't get as warm before she adjusts it.
Same with my wife. I have heard that the majority of women have a narrow temperature tolerance as compared to men. The following doesn't confirm what I am saying other than men and women's perception of comfort temperature is *different* :

Thermal comfort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Gender differences
While thermal comfort preferences between genders seems to be small, there are some differences. Studies have found men report discomfort due to rises in temperature much earlier than women. Men also estimate higher levels of their sensation of discomfort than women. One recent study tested men and women in the same cotton clothing, performing mental jobs while using a dial vote to report their thermal comfort to the changing temperature. Many times, females will prefer higher temperatures. But while females were more sensitive to temperatures, males tend to be more sensitive to relative humidity levels.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 07-17-2011 at 12:34 AM..
Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Same with my wife. I have heard that the majority of women have a narrow temperature tolerance as compared to men.

CarloSW2
...amen--beware the woman in menopause!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i use my a/c no matter what it cost me and don't care i still avg 26-29 mpg in the city with them on and i have heart problems since birth and can't withstand heat...and yeah age of 31 kinda sucks huh i gotta live long in comfortable life!

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, hate my jetta, hypermiling, malibu mpg