Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Inflation button???

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpr View Post
what steel panels??? the humvees are made from aluminum with a fiberglass nose, unless your talking about the armor packages, at which point you have steel panels but eh it doesnt really matter to much now, we are looking at new vehicles for the military (yep the humvee is becoming obsolete) as for high pressure tires, they have a inflation system, with the press of a button you can switch the pressure for whatever terrain your on. honestly there isnt much wrong with the humvee other than the people who thought they would make great daily drivers..... they were never intended to be road vehicles....

/rant
Hmmm, I don't remember the inflation button in the PMCS to adjust to the terrain. True, there is a button to keep the pressure in the tire, auto inflate of sorts, but that is more on the civilian model. What is much more common on the military model, as in that it is on ALL of them is the rubber sole that is inside so if the tire blows and you don't have a spare (and lets face it, you don't typically thanks S-4) you can still get our of the hot zone and back to the FOB

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #72 (permalink)
Adventurist!

CLaero - '97 Acura CL Premium
90 day: 34.59 mpg (US)

CR-v - '03 Honda CR-V EX
Team Honda
90 day: 26.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnielsen1 View Post
Hmmm, I don't remember the inflation button in the PMCS to adjust to the terrain. True, there is a button to keep the pressure in the tire, auto inflate of sorts, but that is more on the civilian model. What is much more common on the military model, as in that it is on ALL of them is the rubber sole that is inside so if the tire blows and you don't have a spare (and lets face it, you don't typically thanks S-4) you can still get our of the hot zone and back to the FOB
In my 6yrs of wrenching on HMMWV's, I have yet to see one other than on YouTube/discovery channel with CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System). While they are in the process of de-commissioning the HMMWV (any with 6.2L engines have a zero expenditure rate for faults, and therefore end up in the can yard for something as simple as an injector pump...) They will probably stay around for many more years before being completely phased out... Too much money to replace them all.

As for F/E, I've gotten anywhere between 9-13mpg hwy in them, and as low as 4mpg during field exercises. Not too bad considering their capabilities!
The Following User Says Thank You to nbleak21 For This Useful Post:
mnielsen1 (01-11-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause
I'll do research on my own, but does anyone have any idea what the HMMWV is going to be replaced with?
Saves me the trouble. In your search string include the word "Oshkosh".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCause
I guess that's one reason to be a pacifist.
There only needs to be one reason to be a pacifist. It stands on it's own.

Edit: Oh, look! It is an *eight-page* thread. Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Junior
If EM had a "quote of the week" highlight, that'd be this week's winner.
Can you make it so it rotates into my Sig line automagically?

And, it needs to be said, LincVolt.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-13-2013 at 04:32 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arrow

[QUOTE=nbleak21;350461]In my 6yrs of wrenching on HMMWV's, I have yet to see one other than on YouTube/discovery channel with CTIS (Central Tire Inflation System). QUOTE]

Yeah, it was always more of a " That's where it should by, hypathetically, in a thearehtical world. I did sell cars and saw one on the floor model of the H2...but that's about it. auto inflate, that's like sending Pv2 Murphy with a hammer to look for soft spots on the M1 or to go ask the 1SG for a prickyeight.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
I don't judge people by what they drive simply by seeing them at a light. Circumstance of a vehicle purchase varies greatly so does the intended purpose. The H2 while seemingly ludicrous as a daily driven vehicle offers a lot of features standard and a comfortable ride for 5 passengers + cargo in just about any situation and road condition. Other vehicles of the class do not get much better in terms of fuel economy.

That said I can't vouch for any owners. Their personalities and reasons vary greatly. Although if they are approached about their choice of auto in an aggressive manner I would imagine them to be aggressive back.

If the project continues forward it would be interesting to see how the OP could improve the fuel economy without sacrificing the versatile nature of a full size SUV.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
"...it would be interesting to see how the OP could improve the fuel economy without sacrificing the versatile nature of a full size SUV."

Big Dave says:
I could have sworn I outlined plans for both in the initial post.

Aero improvement on these cereal boxes is tougher than on pickups where a 'aerocap" can deliver you a solid 3 MPG.

But still I stick to my proven formula.

Diesel power
Manual transmission
Lowest (numerically) possible gearing

In the initial post I mentioned the T-56 transmission. I've been looking at its big brother - the Tremec 6060. Good for 600 ft-lb of torque. Considerably easier shifting than the ZF6-650 on my Super Duty. Where the ZF6-650 is a four speed with a granny and one overdrive, the 6060 is a four speed with two overdrives. It offers an outstanding variety of gear ratios. For a big SUV, you'd want the numerically highest low gear ratio and the 0.5:1 top overdrive. You could drop 70 MPH cruising (with stock rubber) down to 1400 RPM and gain a bunch of MPG.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
"...it would be interesting to see how the OP could improve the fuel economy without sacrificing the versatile nature of a full size SUV."

Big Dave says:
I could have sworn I outlined plans for both in the initial post.

Aero improvement on these cereal boxes is tougher than on pickups where a 'aerocap" can deliver you a solid 3 MPG.

But still I stick to my proven formula.

Diesel power
Manual transmission
Lowest (numerically) possible gearing

In the initial post I mentioned the T-56 transmission. I've been looking at its big brother - the Tremec 6060. Good for 600 ft-lb of torque. Considerably easier shifting than the ZF6-650 on my Super Duty. Where the ZF6-650 is a four speed with a granny and one overdrive, the 6060 is a four speed with two overdrives. It offers an outstanding variety of gear ratios. For a big SUV, you'd want the numerically highest low gear ratio and the 0.5:1 top overdrive. You could drop 70 MPH cruising (with stock rubber) down to 1400 RPM and gain a bunch of MPG.
I meant it more as a statement. I guess it should read "it would be interesting to see that the OP is able to improve MPG yet keep the versatility of a full size SUV"

The plans are pretty ambitious it would be cool to see it all done

Project Avalon: E bike build
Reply  Post New Thread