Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #131 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am glad that your fiancée is okay and sorry that the two of you went through that. I hope that your insurance takes care of you.

I have thought about adding a piece to the front, fiberglass over foam, to make the car more aerodynamic, but also to provide protection for the car itself. You should be able to make plugs and make replacements relatively easily, easier and less expensively than you could repair the front of your car.

Basjoos was rear-ended and he built a new boat tail. It did not damage the car itself.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #132 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Yeah i would have loved to do something like that to begin with, but financing on it like i was, only 2yrs left ��, i was not able to do any major reconstruction to the body until after paid off, granted even if the entire engine bay was destroyed, without much further damage to the cabin, it would have certainly served its crumple zone purpose... I've been doing some preliminary insurance quotes on a few options that i might be able to get my hands on in my area, but even a 2007 pruis touring is more a month than the Fiesta... looking to just take out a personal loan like i did for the goldwing and past cash workin a certain limit to knock the premiums down a hell of a lot accounting for this claim... something i don't have to beat around the bush on, and do some decent permanent mods and be done with it... though my options are still limited, as it week be the main vehicle for the both of us, it has to be an AT ��. Pure mpg won't be possible, but if it gets same or better then The Party, I'm still winning. Personally i have my newer 2012 cbr600rr to putt around on i got a couple months back (couldn't pass it up for price and mileage) financing was choice too, i still have the goldwing and debating on selling. I rode it all last winter season i might add
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiderofBikes For This Useful Post:
Fastskiguy (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #133 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Pactifica - '17 Chrysler Pacifica LX
Sure am sorry to hear about the accident, hopefully there won't be any long term physical problems. Metal and plastic can be replaced but it is the flesh and bone that is the important bit. Anyway, I just want to thank you for this….frankly crazy thread. I've really enjoyed it! The things you have done to that car….I mean wow! If you start a new project….please post a link here, I'd love to follow your next project

Joe
Old 10-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Wow, best of luck with health and insurance. Just out of curiosity, did your insurance company mention anything about the modifications? Sometimes they can be touchy about stuff like that. Might be useful info for others on here. Anyway, glad everyone is ok.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #135 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Bummer! Sayonara, Party!

Glad to hear your fiance is OK though.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #136 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Yes I have my Policy through AmFam, they are deducting the minor holes ive created in the quarter panels for the wheel skirts, and the 4holes(per side) i made to secure my side skirts. The Tape residue is also being considered for a deduction... Finally, they even account for hubcaps if your car is equipped with them. At least I made most of that up with the value of the new tires, just had to provide the invoice.

So either way i may just break even, still winning... Im not crazy worried about the final settlement cause of my remaining balance, but if it was any higher, i'd definitely have to pay the remainder out of pocket. So for anyone with newer or leased/financed cars hopefully your paid down enough before a deducted settlement to get the most out of it.

I truly wasn't going to ever get rid of the Fiesta, but stuff happens.. And I learned from my last vehicle (2001 hyundai Tiburon) after $3500 for basically a new drive train and a few extras, having a blown head gasket would have been an easy fix, considering, i found a used engine for only $300 2weeks after i traded in. But would have been a good car again for many many years if i hadn't taken a different route. Who knows... This time im just going 2nd hand and save the rest for a rainy day (no pun intended) haha
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #137 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Its definitely good to hear you guys are okay. Good luck finding something new.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenorm View Post
i've always wondered about modern sedans. the rear glass transition always seems smooth enough. that I bet the air stays attached, even though its sub template and producing a low pressure zone (acting like an airfoil)

And as long as you have a horizontal or convex surface at the end to turn the air flow again and produce a high pressure zone, it might work better than a kamm back.

case in point is the new mercedes CLA which gets an absurdly low Cd and even the prius which is sub-template

So for your car, maybe all you have to do is extend the horizontal of the trunk out closer to template

*Hucho tells us that on 'fast' rooflines,that there will be a strong downwash in the center,holding the air attached,and the counter-rotating longitudinal vortices washing the C-pillar area will tend to reinforce the downwash.
*The attached vortices themselves are high drag and cut into the benefit of the center downwash,increasing the overall drag compared to a pure fastback.
*Hucho's experience is that nothing will produce lower drag than a proper fastback.They have no separation and they have no vorticity.
*It's possible that the cars notchback has already been optimized.This body type has the most complex flow,and rear flanks,C-pillars,backlight,and roof must be 'tuned' to one another.Hard to do without a full-scale wind tunnel.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #139 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
bon voyage

Glad you're both around to tell the tale.Event horizons are so brief in these instances and things happen in an instant.A sobering reminder of the physics that surrounds us.
Speedy physical, emotional,and economic recovery to you both.