Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
If you are going to block off that much then you absolutely need to monitor coolant temps.

I also agree with you about coasting in neutral. My 2011 Fiesta was totalled and repaired as a salvage vehicle. This means no warranty of any kind, not even recalls are honored by Ford.

I am just beginning to try coasting in neutral and it seems to work fine, with the car going to 6th gear then engaging the clutch without any trauma.

regards
mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
RiderofBikes (04-14-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
Thanks for clearing me on this. I too just started coasting today its a bit funky for me, will need to work on technique a bit.
Since you mentioned the blocker I dont have the middle small plate under the license plate on currently. Even with it on, the Rad fan had only kicked on a couple times when I'd be sitting at a light 2mins too long.(lights near my home don't like me) I do 95% of hiwy driving everyday 35mile commute, over 5hiwys.

On the other hand, I had read some more threads this morning and have been thinking of a new blocker! The current one seems to be working as-is. But I believe there needs to be tapering, or at least an angle, so working on a wedge idea. The performance can only be increased from the current state that its in...

Idea consist of expanding foam, a negative mold, or sculpting it to shape. Have some fibreglass lying around so might make a proper one if all goes well, will get updated edited photos up ASAP
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderofBikes View Post

Idea consist of expanding foam, a negative mold, or sculpting it to shape. Have some fibreglass lying around so might make a proper one if all goes well, will get updated edited photos up ASAP
Here is my version of upper and lower grille blocks using expanding foam.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...o-15673-6.html

For final look :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post257155

It allows for a very smooth and stealthy look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CigaR007 For This Useful Post:
Danylostefan (08-22-2012), RiderofBikes (04-14-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
RiderofBikes,

My only mod is an ugly partial grill block. I made it out of some aluminmum flashing I had laying around. I blocked about as much as the sfe block but did it to both sides.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSTi View Post
My only mod is an ugly partial grill block.
Better than nothin i guess lol. Still good work on your part of whatever driving technique you have. I've got allot of practice!

Oh, and some Edits i promised! comments suggestions welcomed!! especially materials best suited for this type of stuff!
Thank you CigaR007 for the link to the mold/foam project! That gave me an idea on how i could use the mold part to secure a wedge into the grill without drilling or modifying the body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view2.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	10663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower airdam.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	10664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side view.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	10665  
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GREAT NEWS!!! check it, im pretty much in static lol. went from ~39mpg to ~44mpg! just filled up. Lowered my average speed of 70 to 60 as well so i know that helped. Also have been taking the flatter route to work and back. No great hills(good ol' __F__L__A__T__ kansas). Gonna implement "the wedge" and front underbelly soon to help coasting

k... Sleep time
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The men in black will soon be purchasing the house across the street from you,just to keep an eye on things.
Nice car,nice project!Thanks.
I love that movie. New project title?

Looking great so far. Why do you want to do a wedge when the ideal aero shape has a blunt front end? IMO leave the front end alone and start mocking up a boat tail!

I've been thinking for the Probe mods, it might be easier to just anchor the boat tail directly into the rear bumper. Not sure if you could secure a "junk" Fiesta bumper but it might be worth looking at. Then you wouldn't have to worry about- oh wait, you threw the "resale value" argument out the window awhile ago

Looking forward to more updates!
Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
I love that movie. New project title?

Looking great so far. Why do you want to do a wedge when the ideal aero shape has a blunt front end? IMO leave the front end alone and start mocking up a boat tail!

Then you wouldn't have to worry about- oh wait, you threw the "resale value" argument out the window awhile ago
haha, yeah my resale is a bit off at the moment.
Well, the thing with the front end is, the way the panels are covering the front, its like hitting a ...wall. around 10" high of it at least if not more...

Now my Edited pic is more like the contoured shape of the template. While perfect aero may require a blunt edge/surface, it contours from the lowest point, not 10" higher than the bottom right?
A tapered edge or surface allows for better airflow around an object correct?
^That is what im trying to accomplish. Making a wedge/contoured front end may solve the "wall" issue that i see. See pics for better explination

Anyone else have ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatline.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	10666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exotic Aero.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	10667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wedge Front.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	10668  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
You're forgetting that the car's front is very well rounded in plan view.

Constructing a whole new front to move it out a couple inches will be a lot of work for very little gain. Seriously, start working on the rear end. That wake off the sedan body is causing you more drag than the front end ever will.

But yes, does anyone else have input? Agree/disagree?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Before you get to wild with your mods .....
I love the design of your car and looked at one at a dealership.
However,I was absolutely shocked at just how terrible that the underside of the Fiesta and Focus are.

This ...is a good thing in your case

Add a full belly pan, and i predict very good results.

Now about the front grille: From the factory, your car comes with much of the grille plugged. rather than add a piece of coroplast to the front of an already covered grille, you can keep the factory look of the grille ( have your cake and eat it too ).
The rest of the grille that is not plugged can be plugged using something painted in a matte black finish.

No one will ever know it is there except you.

Stealth.

Regarding covering the 'fog light' area, there has been some discussion on this site about the current generation Prius' use of this indention and body crease just before the curve of the front fender to form a clean separation at the front of the car.

Unless you plan to fully cover your front wheels, you may actually be causing more drag.

The best way to test this is to leave one side covered and one factory stock and perform a tuft test.

From the factory, Ford tweaked the area around the wheels and gave your car little spoilers in front of the wheels. A lot of time was spent perfecting these, as some studies have shown that these simple plastic 'tabs' actually contribute a significant amount to drag reduction.
Again, if you add to this area, it would be a good idea to tuft test the area to see what the airflow is doing.

As far as adding a pointed nose to the car, may I ask why ? Cars are not fighter jets that break the sound barrier, and unless you go above around 300 mph, the best shape to have is that of a rounded egg....something you have already ! ( as Sven7 has shown in that fine plan view image )

( Note how that the template image has a rounded front end versus a point.
As I'm sure you are well aware, the point belongs at the rear of the car )

I think the wheel skirt is great though !

Last edited by Cd; 04-14-2012 at 08:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (04-14-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread