Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Thanks. I learned a new name: APHANIZOMENON FLOS-AQUAE

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Then we don't always stay within the borders. We need the range to cross Belgium where EV chargers have not yet been invented.
You mean you don't just get on the train? (Which are mostly electric, at least in the parts of Europe I've been to.)
Old 04-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
...there were only 3 Co harvisting Blue Green Algae off Klamath Lake...
---
Kool glad to hear theres a crowd of people standing outside the box.
I don't really see how this is "outside the box". There's a market for blue-green algae, and a lake where there's a lot of it growing. What could be more mainstream than to build a device to harvest it?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
You mean you don't just get on the train? (Which are mostly electric, at least in the parts of Europe I've been to.)
They are mostly electric, also mostly filled to the brim.
I can be certain of a seat in my car. It departs from my house and arrives at my destination, when I want, without switchovers.

I had a long commute by train for 3 years, and swore never to set foot in a train again. My father in law is a volunteer conductor on the Steamtrain Goes-Borsele, for which I gladly make an exception. My last 10 rail travels have been steam powered

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

little jona - '91 Dodge D 250 first gen cummins LE
Team Streamliner
90 day: 23.4 mpg (US)

Little Jona airo modded - '91 Dodge RAM 3/4 TON D 250 2×4 AUTO
Pickups
Team Cummins
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

The Salted Hound Jenny. - '87 Dodge Ram 50/D-50 5sp 4X4
90 day: 20.24 mpg (US)

Jona Allison aero - '91 Dodge Ram D-250 Le
90 day: 20.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
jamesqf
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79
---
Kool glad to hear theres a crowd of people standing outside the box. this part is in reference to the Electric Universe that can better explain things like Black Holes, HHO, plasma, and how our Star influences Earth electromagneticly . Try watching the link ~ 20min. This is so far out of the box that only a hand full of people have been willing to publish any thing on the subject.
I don't really see how this is "outside the box". There's a market for blue-green algae, and a lake where there's a lot of it growing. What could be more mainstream than to build a device to harvest it?
Your right just harvisting algae is not new 30+year old technology establishing the box. What I was hired for was to bring the Co into the current century with a new possess. That was better than using a over sized colander. And 100Hp 15" Ac pump. The old technology required a 30+kw genset. The new ran off a honda 1000. For unloading and lights the head ran off the stator in the 150hp outbord aka the starting battery.
Not a new idea, but a new method required new Ideas, that requires looking at the problem from an angle not available in the box.
the new harvester cut drying cost ~66% and improved quality by reducing the amount of Microcystin the frog egg looking algae. This algae that gets the bad press as it releases toxins when it dies causing fish kills bad enough to kill medium size dogs. across southern Oregon. The hair like Algae was what was desired.
Best mpg : 31.32mpg 100mi 3.193 USG 5/2/20

Former
'83 GMC S-15 Jimmy 2door 2wd O/D auto 3.73R&P
'79 Chevy K20 4X4 350ci 400hp msd custom th400 /np205. 7.5-new 14mpg modded befor modding was a thing
87' Hyundai Excel
83 ranger w/87 2.9 L FI2wd auto 18mpg on the floor
04 Mitsubishi Gallant 2.4L auto 26mpg
06 Subaru Forrester XT(WRX PACKAGE) MT AWD Turbocharged 18 plying dirty best of 26mpg@70mph
95Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 14-18mpg
04 Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 16-22mpg

Old 04-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

jamesqf -- I took 'outside the box' for being about plasma cosmology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Electric_Railway

The Oregon Electric Railway operated from 1908 to 1933, serving the length of the Willamette Valley. While operating in the red, it was bought by a consortium that turned out to be General Motors, some rubber company and the company that became Greyhound bus lines. They stacked up the rolling stock and burnt it. This is documented in an old issue of Oregon Times magazine. If I find my copy, the citation is going right into Wikipedia. It was part of all this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...car_conspiracy

Had they not, as a child I could have walked 2 miles to the line and ridden to my grandparents in Portland.

Quote:
In the 2000s, the line has been under consideration as an alternative for Amtrak's Cascades and Coast Starlight passenger lines. Removing passenger service from the clogged Union Pacific track would improve the timeliness of the trains, permit higher capacity, and allow higher-speed travel, peaking at 110 MPH.[2]

Burlington Northern operated the last freight train on the Portland-Beaverton segment of this mainline on December 31, 1994, in preparation for the construction of Westside MAX, part of the TriMet light rail system.
I think TriMet is a narrow-gauge line. But doing 110 down the Willamette would be cool—better than sitting on the Coast Starlight and watching the cars go faster on I-5!

Edit: gumby79 -- I now see your post.

Good for you. That sounds like a good accomplishment. The reason I was concerned it was cranberries is the mechanical cranberry harvester took the job the Lakota Indians had harvesting by hand from canoes.

Quote:
What I was hired for was to bring the Co into the current century with a new possess.
What we need next decade is to bore a tunnel/pipeline below sea level from Death Valley to the Pacific. Then have lagoons of fuel-producing algae in the sunlight.

All powered by turbines in the tunnel/pipeline.

2nd Edit: RedDevil -- Now I've looked at https://www.google.com/search?q=Stea...n+Goes-Borsele

Do they let you ride the little green switcher? The last steam train I rode was the Blue Goose. The right-of-way is now a bicycle path. That was the rail line Buster Keaton filmed a movie, The General, on.

Algae? Silent movies? I need to lay down.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-23-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

little jona - '91 Dodge D 250 first gen cummins LE
Team Streamliner
90 day: 23.4 mpg (US)

Little Jona airo modded - '91 Dodge RAM 3/4 TON D 250 2×4 AUTO
Pickups
Team Cummins
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

The Salted Hound Jenny. - '87 Dodge Ram 50/D-50 5sp 4X4
90 day: 20.24 mpg (US)

Jona Allison aero - '91 Dodge Ram D-250 Le
90 day: 20.76 mpg (US)
Eg out side the box

Quote:
What we need next decade is to bore a tunnel/pipeline below sea level from Death Valley to the Pacific. Then have lagoons of fuel-producing algae in the sunlight.
As i said most all southern Oregon northern Calf. Have bad algae blumes. Making them so toxic that medium size dogs have been killed large dogs ,elderly, and small children are at risk. Commonplace for closure for swimming (people and dogs) and fishing .the 3 algae harvisting Co have th shut bown in the heat of summer. Insted of harvisting for food grade(if memory serves 12 colonies/sampale )harvest for fule grade. (13+ through 1000's of colonies). Possess the oil from the algae. I attribute this Idea to my Cusen user Tecnomage2012.

This would ceep the harvesters running roung the clock.during blumes for eather grade. Auto collection selfatounamus sun drying, just hellie in and pickup the load. Hell it could possessit to fule and bio-charr the pouder. I'm proposing a 1) toxen reduct reducer 2)carbon sequestration 3)bio-char for collecting/or reinsertion to the lake,as a toxen/chemical absorption (charcoal filter) 4) this will produce many " tons"more waste powder than need to run the system (and just putting the waste organics back in the lake would poison the water just like the microcystin currently dose) so grid tie MW power generation. 5)bio-charr for farm/ gardening soil enrichment .6)git the bio-charr hot enough and now it to will burn (the - is your freeing the carbon) to run bio mass/ coal power plants who7)recapture the carbon through greenhouses to produce animal feed or cotton in the Pacific Northwest.
----
Take your tunnel and add turbines to make more power than LA can use , as well as desailionaton facilitys alond the route.),Off the tidal ebb and flow. Now you have backers(water Co. power Co , FARMERS, ICC ,the put America Back to Work Initiative)for your project.you could make Baker to Barstow a green farming belt. Now we are talking carbon suqestering. This kind of project is on the scail of presidential lik FDR's Interstate.

---
Is this far enough outside the box? (And I didn't even have to create any thing I just made a few different industries new nabers in a place that only lacks fresh water and clean power to be an oasis for green development )
now we just need someone to put my ideas on paper in an acceptable form for a kickstarter. As I have very well diminstrated this is NOT ONE OF MY SKILLS. (Working on it as I type this)
Gumby stay flexible
(Means don't be rigid like the box,be flexible to new and different ideas. And a reminder to me not all my ideas current technology can support. We just have to find rhe right questions to think of the right sluition)
Best mpg : 31.32mpg 100mi 3.193 USG 5/2/20

Former
'83 GMC S-15 Jimmy 2door 2wd O/D auto 3.73R&P
'79 Chevy K20 4X4 350ci 400hp msd custom th400 /np205. 7.5-new 14mpg modded befor modding was a thing
87' Hyundai Excel
83 ranger w/87 2.9 L FI2wd auto 18mpg on the floor
04 Mitsubishi Gallant 2.4L auto 26mpg
06 Subaru Forrester XT(WRX PACKAGE) MT AWD Turbocharged 18 plying dirty best of 26mpg@70mph
95Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 14-18mpg
04 Chevy Blazer 4x4 auto 16-22mpg

Last edited by gumby79; 04-23-2016 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Re title
Old 04-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Is this an acceptable lack of the box with out straying into the fringe?
This sounds like your rising to some troll's bait. Life's too short.

Biochar is cool.

'Tidal ebb and flow' is Moon power. Much more reliable than Solar (wave) power. My proposal is a volume about as big as an Amazon warehouse with an in/outlet just above low tide and a ceiling below high tide. This is called an Oscillating Water Column.
The difference between the surface area of the water and the cross section of the air vent gives you the leverage. With a Wells or Hanna turbine there are no mechanical parts immersed in sea water.

Also, cubes aren't rigid until you add at least one tetrahedron. Remember Bucky Fuller? He was always designing things that the materials weren't up to yet.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-23-2016 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: add OCW links
Old 04-24-2016, 12:28 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
As i said most all southern Oregon northern Calf. Have bad algae blumes. Making them so toxic that medium size dogs have been killed large dogs ,elderly, and small children are at risk.
...you could make Baker to Barstow a green farming belt.
Unless you think about just why Klamath Lake & other southern Oregon/northern California lakes have those toxic algae blooms in the first place. It's because back around the turn of the 20th century, the government helped drain all the surrounding wetlands to turn them into farmlands. So what unexpected effects do you think irrigating Baker to Barstow could have?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Politics corrupts everything it touches. The Klamath River. Chinatown. What is now the Salton Sea.

OTOH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
US is not moving too fast in the EV world- running around showing or simply advertising over and over does not put vehicles in our hands. Tesla has; but we are not all Lottery winners.

Part of the reason may be I have had a Chinese built scooter for 5 years and am buying a similar one found on Craigslist.
So maybe we should talk about that. Go Tesla.

Reply  Post New Thread