Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MPGuino on Nano + 1.0.1 soft? Renault 19 F3P

Hello all,

I've got plenty of uController experience but this is my first time using Arduino.
Reading the wiki i see 2 codebases, 1 that apparently worked with the old 011 version of Arduino and another that is supposed to go around the Arduino enviroment and uses the compiler tools.

Taking into account that the Arduino nano i have is AT328 based and therefore has lot's and lot's of ram. Is it possible to compile the arduino version on the 1.0.1 framework? I mean, i've copy-pasted the code and it compiled without errors, but i havent yet gotten the time to actually READ the code or even test it.
I have all the hardware but i've yet to make the pcb to tie it together.
Also, i plan to install this on my Renault 19 RTi Coupe (F3P engine), it has 4 inyectors (but only 1 signal) and i have access to the VSS signal.
The F3P's ECU also has one output that sends a pulse every 160mm3 of consumed fuel, which one would give me better accuracy? inyector or ecu?

Best Regards,

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
MPGuino counts time in milliseconds of iniector(s) opening time. Dividing fuel used by the time you have average fuel flow of your current injestor(s) setup.
If you want to count pulses given by ECU that’s a good option too. You just need to calibrate the amount of fuel per one pulse though. I don't think that ECU will give the accurate number of mm3 used.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This car does have an MPG gauge (Liters/100Km) but i would rather build my own to compare.
I concur that TimeInyectorIsOpen * MilliLitersPerMilliSecond is more accurate than TimeBetween160mm3, that's the reason the onboard gauge works from 40km/h and up...

Ah, when i said "lot's and lot's of RAM" it should read FLASH, ram was not the issue but binary size.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
My way is the low way

MyoldFord - '65 Ford Taunus 20M Turnier
90 day: 27.59 mpg (US)

Plastic Spaceship - '94 Renault Espace
90 day: 24.03 mpg (US)

Sussu - '82 Suzuki Alto
Have you chekd the ohm's of your injectors?

I once installed Mpguino to a renault 21 (F3N engine) and it had peak & hold injectors (~2 ohm injectors). I don't know what kind of injectors your renault has, but I recommend you read this topic:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rror-6841.html

Summer vehicle

My dad's tire pressure is much higher than your dad's!
The Following User Says Thank You to Superturnier For This Useful Post:
Raiker (09-27-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ah, I'm not familiar with the engines that the 21 came with in Europe, but AFAIK they were mostly Type J. In any case, mine has, according to the siemens multipoint injection manual, 14,5 Ohm injectors which would make them "high impedance" injectors and therefore suitable for the mpguino.
Since the last references on the wiki talk about versions 011 and 012 of the Arduino workspace i was worried about getting it to work on 1.0.1. It would also seem to me that the codebase has not been modified in some time, is this so?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The reason for sticking with 0011 was to keep the compile size smaller, as the 16k limit was a problem on the 168. If v1.0.1 creates larger .hex files, your 328 should handle it easily.

Reply  Post New Thread