Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
cmj
Team Honda

Honda - '96 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.12 mpg (US)
MPGuino PiggyBack - Duemilanove

I've finally gotten started with putting together an MPGuino, but with a small twist. I'm too broke (read: cheap) to buy another arduino for this project, so I decided to make a plugin MPGuino module for my only arduino.

This is my first time designing, and etching PCB boards. I am completely uneducated, and have no experience with board layout and design. This first version isn't going to work out as I intended.. but i'm still going to populate it with everything minus the LCD to see if the functionality is there.

Version 2 is going to have surface mount resistors/diodes for ease of tracks, that way I dont have to "over/under" solder some things. I'll update this thread with anything pertinent. Be patient, my mind picks up a new project every 10 minutes so I tend to jump around.

Here is my first layout design (done in 30 minutes during my CAD class today)

Here is the front side etching which turned out pretty perfect.

Here's the bottom side. I had two broken tracks but luckily I have some conductive paint laying around so i'll tidy that up tomorrow.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
kewl!

do you know the sharpie trick? If some toner sticks to the paper? Or just freehand etch resist.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
cmj
Team Honda

Honda - '96 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 36.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
kewl!

do you know the sharpie trick? If some toner sticks to the paper? Or just freehand etch resist.
I did end up using some sharpies to repair a couple pads, and a track that didn't transfer. I don't know what the problem was. I made 2 trips to kinko's to get the designs printed because the back of the first one didn't transfer that well either. I decided I wasn't going back to kinko's because it's stop and go, and i'm nursing a spectacular tank right now.

As far as the two broken tracks, I think that's just my impatience on letting the sharpie completely dry. I'm pretty sure the etching fluid just washed it out.

I have plenty of time between classes tomorrow to knock out a better design for v2.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Seems like a lot of work & fabbing, just to plug into a Duemilanove. Especially if there's a v2.0 coming. On my Seeeeeduino, i just trimmed my leads & wires & crap to the proper lengths, and plugged them into the headers. To each his own, but i'm glad i read this since i learned there is a Sharpie trick out there.

Reply  Post New Thread