Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LuvmyPIP - '13 Toyota Prius plug in base
90 day: 57.94 mpg (US)
My 100% recycled PIP is a total loss!

For the last couple of years I've been happily driving a 2012 plug in Prius whose body came from a flood, huricanne Sandy, victim and interior + all electrical components came from a rollover. I had installed a block heater, blocked the grill, inflated the tires to 50 PSI and was averaging 58 MPG, one one long trip I got 65 MPG and average speed was 65 MPH. I was quite happy! Then I was "T boned" while going all of 20 MPH. My wife was banged up pretty well between the locked seat belt and the inward crushed door but we survived while the car didn't. Car was declared a total loss despite my pleas that it was one of a kind and must be repaired. I had NO CHOICE & had to accept the other driver's insurance company check! I only had 38,000 miles on it and it was running like a dream! I shopped the internet and found a surprising number of good choices within 500 miles of my southern Ky home. I narrowed the choices to those with fewer miles, no damage history, and blue or white and picked one. Drove the insurance provided rental car & bought a 2013 PIP with 36,000 miles, a lease return with a clean carfax. It had snow tires on it but looked clean and had minimal "hanger rash". I turned in the rental car, a Corolla which was a serious downgrade from the Prius, and drove the, new to me, PIP home. On the trip home I ran Torque on my Galaxy tablet through the bluetooth OBD adapter I'd bought with me 7 was surprised to see 45 MPG at my usual 72-75 mph interstate speeds ( I'd typically see 60-65 mpg in the now history car). I said it must be the snow tires and absence of the grill block. I ordered and installed Bridgestone EP422s ( sidewall rated @ 51PSI) & installed a grill block $2 worth of pipe insulation. Made a trip to visit my great drandaughter with the grill block and new properly inflated (51PSI) tires and DAM only got 50 MPG. What the HELL is wrong, I'm the same driver practicing "mild" hypermiling etc. I posted this delema on the Prius chat board & got a suggestion jack up a rear wheel and give it spin, I did but it sure wouldn't spin, I could turn it but the drag sure wouldn't let it "spin". A little bit more inspection and I found all 4 brake rotors worn beyond wear limits and all the pads more than half gone, but this Prius only has 36,000 miles. My now totalled car had undetectable brake wear at 38,000 miles ( I use regen and strive to DWOB).
Well fortunately the insurance settlement was "generous enough" that I can afford to replace the pads & rotors in addition to the tires. It was a good bit of work but it's now done so we'll see. The rear wheel now spins normally ( there is normally some drag & it's within the normal range now). Hopefully my dismal mileage is history. I'm still planning to add "piza pan" wheel covers, I have the aluminum pans and replacement center plugs. My new plan is to use TWO screws into the center plug rather than a single centered screw. Hopefully I can avoid drilling and tapping the alloy wheels and make stock condition fully & economically restorable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Liebler For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (01-08-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Phew, quite some story! I hope your wife recovered well...
And you of course, and the new cars mpg

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Yes, quite the tale!

We have another member with a PIP, and I was afraid I was going to be reading about his when I saw your thread title.

Hope everybody's 100% recovered.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LuvmyPIP - '13 Toyota Prius plug in base
90 day: 57.94 mpg (US)
I just filled the tank of the 2013 "replacement". First full tank since the new tires and brake pads & rotors, oil & filter change and new air cleaner. It was a tank of no ethanol which I had to drive 70 miles round trip to get, the gas now in it is the local E10. The weather has not been good for fuel economy, it's been warm enough but it's been raining almost continuously here in Kentucky, kinda like I was used to when I lived in Portland Or. Any way it took 8.25 gallons, I'd driven 458 HV miles used 25 KW and driven 123 EV miles. Looking at HV and Gas gives 55.5 MPG (EPA says 50MPG). Looking at EV 25Kw *1.1(charger efficiency)/ 33.7Kw/gal or .82 gallons equivalent or 150 MPGE (EPA says 100). Weighted average of EV & HV is about 19% better than the EPA benchmark. The reason I outperform the EPA by much more on EV than HV is because I use a high speed pulse and glide where I select EV mode for the glide (this allows ICE off up to 62MPH) this moves some of my gas miles into the EV total. I'm quite pleased with the "replacement" & think I made the right choice of tires (Mexican EP422+ with a sidewall pressure rating of 51 PSI) and tire pressure set at 51PSI. I'll be replacing the 12 volt battery, it is very near it's end of life reading just 12.05 volts 24 hours after being fully charged, with LIFEPO4. Here is the battery I've chosen, I'll use 2 of the 20 AH in parallel. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/scoo...99999.7.OK1FmZ And I will finally complete my Pizza pan installation. I have to wait for the batteries to come from China and some ABS plastic stock for the wheel covers. My new plan for the mounting of the pizza pans is to use a replacement center cap modified by gluing on a disk cut from sheet stock. The idea is to make the center cap thick enough that it's outer surface is in line with the outermost "spokes" of the wheel. Then mount the Pizza pans to the modified center cap with THREE screws spaced on a 1 1/4" circle.

Reply  Post New Thread