Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
JoL
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah I agree with Hydro, ditch the confusion on the rear, otherwise it looks beautiful!
Let's see some wheel skirts and moon discs already!
Maybe tint the clear on your lights and run some black projectors for headlights?

I have been looking around to pick up a hx to replace my jetta, nice little coupe you got! Good job on the mods, I'm going to plastic weld my vw bumper soon, since you inspired me.

Any plans for a paint job?

Once your done finalizing your mods, order some alkyd enamel paint from rapco parts.com, order a 12 pack of spray cans, luster less paint, they have flat black and other mil colors. 70 bucks shipped. I only used 6 cans for two coats. Buy a few sand sponges and a spray paint trigger handle and tape. The paint is amazing I just finished painting my jeep and everyone thought a shop painted it, it came out amazing. After the paint baked in the sun it blended even more and looked phenomenal.

Anyways nice hx lower it!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Instead of butchering your rear bumper and allowing air to (presumably) flow through it, you should consider building a rear belly pan. Look in my albums for a diagram on belly pan departure angles.

But yeah, belly pans are a pita. I ended up starting the Probe's boat tail with a belly pan starting at the rear axle. I figure the air dam pushed enough air out of the way to make the front and middle of the underside quite unimportant.

If you're making a pan for a commonly accessed place like the engine bay, make sure it's easy-off, easy-on. I used zip ties and a few curse words... not fun.

PS- x2 on removing the air tabs from at least the rear of the car (why would you want vortexes there anyway?). Another user has shown EK sedans to have mostly attached flow on the rear window so whatever gains you might have there would also be negligible. Without proper testing procedures, 0.5mpg difference could be due to wind, traffic or other factors. Too small to really claim "gains".

Last edited by Sven7; 02-07-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
the air tabs swirl the air away from the car, so that the air doesnt churn behind the car, sucking it back. so if the air is sticking to the rear window, then maybe its best to remove them from the roof (as not to disturb flow), and keep them on the rear (?!?)

as for paint job, i'm just gonna rattle can paint it all flat back. stealthy and easy to repaint

I also put 45psi in my new LRR tyres! (duh).....dealer put 30psi. my old tyre set i ran 45psi, so now comparing oranges to oranges (45psi to 45psi), it turns out the LRR tyres and proper alignment, yielded me at least 3 or 4mpg. from 52mpg average to 56 at least! results consistent with every commute to work for 2 weeks straight!

GREAT NEWS! with the use of Marvel Mystery Oil, i can get into lean burn at around 1800rpm, which works out to be about 50mph in 5th gear!!! today, driving 50 to 55mph, i got 68MPG on an ALL freeway, 35mile run. i was able to stay in lean burn virtually the entire time. the route included flats, rolling hills and 1 BIG hill.... these are MPGuino results, so i'm not gonna quite declare 100% with them, but it has always been accurate in the past, by 1 to 3mpg.

so if removing power steering gets 2mpg, and underbody aero and rear wheel skirts could equal 5mpg.... then the car might just be able to pull ~75mpg on the freeway... and i could still lower it an couple inches for more mpg gains....

the mods to come this summer i hope... averaging 60mpg over a tank looks well within reach!!! my current tank i just passed 500 miles and i still got almost 1/4 tank to go !

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 02-14-2013 at 01:49 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
installed an amp and subwoofer the other day, now i got some BUMP!

a few friends laughed at me for removing the whole rear interior, only to later on add a ~10lb amp hahahaha

sometimes, things are worth the weight (and the wait)

on a side note, with 65degree temps, i average 58.6mpg on my commute home today, which seems to be pretty usual mileage for the trip home. in colder temps (50's) and with the old tyres, i was getting around 52 to 54mpg. so some good gains for sure with the LLR tyres and warm air helps too. for sure gotta make a warm air intake this season before it gets cold again. with that underbody aero, i'm gonna be able to get my commute to 60mpg or better! this is sweeeeet!

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Very cool man. Congrats on the impressive numbers! I am hoping to be right there with you at averaging 60 mpg a tank soon.

On a side note, Update your fuel log!!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
nice work! I'm not a fan of the aero tabs and killing the shiny black paint but the MPG is impressive!

Since your front end is already modded, have you considered a golfball texture?
Seems like lots of work, and I don't know enough about aerodynamics to say for sure if you could just mod the front and gain a significant # of mpgs.. but I was curious if it's been done much on here.

Reply  Post New Thread