Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
The VW wheels have a 57.1 mm centre bore, the civic has 56.1 mm, as far as I know there are no hubcentric rings for that small of a change, that's only 0.5 mm on each side. Some people say that it won't be an issue at all, and a surprising amount of people use a little bit of tape on the hub, and it squishes down to size... Not sure exactly what I will do.

I am extremely confident in the rust proofer that I use. We have used it on our tractors during the winter plowing snow and salting, so you can imagine how badly they rust. Since using this undercoating no rust has formed at all, spots that already had rust don't even get worse.

So on the civic I have a lot of faith in using this waxy coating as an undercoating, and then maybe even an oil spray inside the rockers for good measure.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Nice machine.

No "maybe" on inside the rockers, doors, rear quarters, hatch... Spray it all!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Thanks. Good point on the rockers,what I meant by maybe the oil spray is that's if I cant get everything with the undercoating. If there's anywhere I can't get good enough, then it will go to my buddy at Krown to make the rest happen.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Didn't know the gap was that small. Just leave it I guess. It's not like you'll be doing track days. If tape squishes down it probably isn't offering any support anyhow.

Whatever it takes to keep it clean
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Did you consider pulling off the big plastic interior quarter panel covers before heading to the Krown guy. If you remove the inner panels it is better than just removing the tail lights and shooting the product from there.

Also since the Krown guy won't do the floor from the inside , you should pull the seats and carpet to do the floor yourself. Cars driven in snow areas always have a wet floor under the carpet and insulation . The carpet may feel dry to the touch but the insulation will be wet year round.

Vx rocker panels are totally accessible from either end. A rubber plug at the front of the rear wheelwell and a rubber plug at the door post behind the front plastic inner fender.

Remove the front turn signal lights ( only 1 screw each ) to get the fender inner structure .

Also pay attention to the area below the battery

Just trying to help .. Good luck
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
I was considering the carpet,but never thought about the rear interior panels, that's a good idea. Thanks a lot, I appreciate the input!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Freezing temperatures are here, so I picked up a fire blanket good for 550*C and used it for some extra engine insulation. It definitely helped the motor warm up quite a bit quicker.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothrush View Post
Also since the Krown guy won't do the floor from the inside
FYI, my Krown location did the Firefly rockers from the inside of the car. (They're a channelized affair with "hidden" passages that the usual Krown drill holes won't reach.)

But I had removed the trim pieces & pulled back the carpet before I went in to make it easy for him. He was happy to oblige.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Just got home from Krown and the car is sprayed and good to go. My buddy there has had a few hatchback civics and knew all the bad areas, especially the rear quarters and he did an awesome job getting it all. He made sure to get down under the battery too, definitely impressed.

I am consistently happy with this car, it's awesome. It's in great shape, drives great, fantastic MPG. What's not to love?

Old 12-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
Been consistently doing high 50's MPG, I love this car. Definitely have to work for it though, I can't wait to see what this car will be capable of in the summer with warmer temperatures. I have an almost complete grill block on the car, but no pictures since it doesn't look like anything. It has the partial factory block, and I have some black coroplast on the backside of the grill, I'm happy with it since it's next to invisible.

I finally had some time today so I got started on my kammback. As I had said earlier, I want it to be factory appearing, so I'm going with fiberglass. I started by building a metal rod frame from 3/16" galvanized steel, and bent it to the shape I wanted. I attached it at the bottom of the rear window using the gas strut mounts through the window, and I am using the factory spoiler attachment holes at the top of the window. This allows it to be completely removable with zero modification to the car.

I was considering using the factory spoiler as a base, but decided to just go from scratch with my metal frame. To attach at the top of the window, I have two small 1/8" steel pieces, that I drilled through to match the factory spoiler mounts. I dropped some (4) bolts through my steel bar and through the factory mount, then welded the heads of the bolts to the bar. I welded the heads of the bolts because I will be fiber glassing overtop and need to stop the bolts from turning, since I will not be able to access the heads of the bolts, only tje threads will hang down. I then just built the bars/ mount into the frame. So basically I just have my own version of the factory mounting setup that uses the stock mounting points, built right into my kammback frame.

So the frame got me the shape I want, and all of my attachment points figured out. From there, I stretched fleece overtop of the wire frame, and attached and pulled it tight using paper clips. Just as it sits right now it is surprisingly rigid, so I'm sure with the resin and a few layers of fiberglass it will be quite strong.

Here is where it sits right now.

The horizontal crease isn't as bad as it seems, it appears more dramatic because it is directly under the light. Fiberglass and filler should be able to easily get rid of it.

I am going to put it back on the car tomorrow to make sure it didn't shift at all, and assuming all is still well I will put resin on the fleece cloth to make it rigid, and will add fiberglass mat, then sand, body filler, and sand it again.

I will probably paint it a simple semi-gloss black to make it match the factory spoiler that came off.

I have better pictures of the wire frame and it on the car on my phone which I will have to upload still.

Reply  Post New Thread