Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
EcoMod Proof of Concept

WD-40's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 56.04 mpg (US)

WD-40's Mirage - '15 Mitsubushi Mirage ES
Mitsubishi
90 day: 46.05 mpg (US)

WD-40's Sonata Hybrid - '17 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited
awesome .. how many cans did it take

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
1carnut -- I love Plasti Dip. If you get the regular stuff and thin it for spraying it doesn't cover well. Plasti Dip S (for spray) is what you want. Look on Youtube.

Here it's laid heavily over the brake drum and spindle cap for a one-piece look. Not my car. I've only used on the wheel centers. It works better than paint over chrome.

I'm going to do the Sears Rader wheels in Real Aluminum with a Pearlizer top coat.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
1carnut (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
Thanks for the replies! I got the plasti dip from https://www.dipyourcar.com/. They sell it in ready to spray form where it is already pre thinned. I used the ready to spray black which they sell in gallons. I could have done the car with a little over a gallon, but I ended up using aboug 1.5 gallons because I resprayed 2 panels. It cost $52 a gallon when you buy two or more gallons.

It sprayed really well, I just used our average air compressor at home, I did have to always stop to let the pressure build back up again though. I really should have used a moisture separator for spraying as I did get some moisture coming through the gun. I ended up doing 6 very light coats to get the full coverage.

To peel it off, as long as you have at least 3 coats on it, it will peel very easily. With fewer than 3 coats, it isn't very strong and peels off in small pieces, so extra coats are good for more than just coverage. It peeled off very easily, so that's why I didn't mask the headlights (or tail lights) and then I just peeled up a corner, and from there they came off in one piece! Added bonus,it kind of has the race car look while it still had no headlights! Haha.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 47.95 mpg (US)
https://www.dipyourcar.com/plasti-di...on-bundle.html

This is exactly what I bought. I just used our basic Husky spray gun to spray it, worked well for such a simple, at home set up.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
You could use an Exacto knife and cut horizontal rectangles out on the headlights for a WWII blackout light look, and then post it in the Military Theme thread.

The next thing I'm going to do after the wheels is the entire undercarriage and engine compartment on my Type II panel van. It would be a ton of work to return it to the original painted finish. It would have to go on a rotesserie and everything. I'll just Plasti Dip it 5 or 6 coats and move forward.

Reply  Post New Thread