Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Follow Aerohead's advice, and/or look on this website for pics of various Miata noses, the best of which combines rounded nose/airdam/splitter, effectively what Aerohead said.

You could use Coroplast and make an undertray which extends forward becomes a splitter, joined with the airdam, which should curve laterally outward to fair the flow past the leading edges of the tires. Airdam, slpitter, and undertray would structurally support each other. Use nice, gentle elliptical curve for the airdam.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
An underbody is usually better than an air dam. Rather than moving through the air in as smooth a manner as possible, you are increasing frontal area (and possibly Cd) to try to influence how the air is moving, which regardless of the strength of the dam, and continuing under the vehicle.

I am not trying to discredit the airdam, just that an airdam is the way to go when an underbody can't be done. I couldn't believe anyone would choose (all things being equal) an airdam over an underbody.

On the topic of an airdam, everyone here makes good points. Strength of it is a pretty important factor when punching through the air, if it is deforming then there may be issues. I have no ABA testing, so take this with a grain of salt, but after my underbody was complete, at one point my dam was ripped off. There was no loss whatsoever in MPG, actually it increased. I can't provide data to a quantitative result, but from personal experience, an airdam or splitter is a negative when an underbody is clean.

(Although an underbody may in be place, air should still be diverted around the tires if possible. Jedi Sol has an OEM looking build for them, and others have done great jobs as well.)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (06-09-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I went to 2" above ground on my VW. It lowered the MPG about 2mpg. I was surprised, felt that it was because it increased the frontal area. I felt that that close to the ground that the airflow was stymied from interference drag.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
airdam/Belly pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
An underbody is usually better than an air dam. Rather than moving through the air in as smooth a manner as possible, you are increasing frontal area (and possibly Cd) to try to influence how the air is moving, which regardless of the strength of the dam, and continuing under the vehicle.

I am not trying to discredit the airdam, just that an airdam is the way to go when an underbody can't be done. I couldn't believe anyone would choose (all things being equal) an airdam over an underbody.

On the topic of an airdam, everyone here makes good points. Strength of it is a pretty important factor when punching through the air, if it is deforming then there may be issues. I have no ABA testing, so take this with a grain of salt, but after my underbody was complete, at one point my dam was ripped off. There was no loss whatsoever in MPG, actually it increased. I can't provide data to a quantitative result, but from personal experience, an airdam or splitter is a negative when an underbody is clean.

(Although an underbody may in be place, air should still be diverted around the tires if possible. Jedi Sol has an OEM looking build for them, and others have done great jobs as well.)
Here is a link to an image of the 1983 Ford Probe-IV Cd 0.154 concept with active aerodynamics.
Even though this car has a 'perfect' under body,Ford found lower drag with lowering/raking/and an active airdam.
Sorry,link won't work from as EcoModder thread.
mikeyjd (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Here is a link to an image of the 1983 Ford Probe-IV Cd 0.154 concept with active aerodynamics.
Even though this car has a 'perfect' under body,Ford found lower drag with lowering/raking/and an active airdam.
Sorry,link won't work from as EcoModder thread.
Can you PM it? I would love to know more. I only know from my little experience, and it is dwarfed by your knowledge and experience on it- if you could share it I would be much obliged lol.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Can you PM it? I would love to know more. I only know from my little experience, and it is dwarfed by your knowledge and experience on it- if you could share it I would be much obliged lol.
I've got a better image at home that I'll bring.It will have to be scanned,photo-shopped,and exported into PhotoBucket,which means maybe a delay,but it will be a larger,clearer image.I'll get that tonight and see about it tomorrow.
In the meantime,a GOOGLE search for 1984 Probe-IV active aerodynamics should get you something to look at.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
1983 Ford Probe-IV - Google Search points back here:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-10-2014), mikeyjd (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

I built up a bicycle streamliner that instead of having a front rear and back front strake, it had a single strake that connected the two. It set the record.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-10-2014)
Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
I built up a bicycle streamliner that instead of having a front rear and back front strake, it had a single strake that connected the two. It set the record.
Picture?

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline

TEAM VW AUDI Group

Sure

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-10-2014), BamZipPow (06-10-2014), jedi_sol (06-09-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread