Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
At some point i will try externally charging the battery all the time to see if i can get the alternator to cut off.

Can you recommend any oils? The spec only lists a single weight. What I have in there is pretty old and I should change it soon.

I have to use the AC. But i try to switch it on only while engine braking. Damn i wish the ecu's for these were open source.

Is there such a circuit to put the brake light in series with the ac clutch?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

for lubricants, Mercedes recommends Mobil 1 but any high performance synthetic would be great, Royal Purple for example.
Being a later model vehicle with computers managing things, it is difficult to get into circuits like the A/C clutch without risking back-feeding the computer and causing some otherwise strange results. I am sure it can be done, by looking through the schematic and then carefully measuring and understanding where to go into the circuit. You might consider placing a relay in the circuit so it is normally closed when not on the brakes and then opens when the brakes are applied thus not impacting the A/C system circuitry otherwise would be one idea.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Thanks for the tip.

Any idea how one can access the ecu's on these things?

I wish they were open source. Then i could program whatever algorithm i wanted in to them.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I had an idea. I do not really use the LOW setting on the transmission. Any possibility modifying it (flipping the gears?) to transform it to a HIGH setting? Currently at 120kph it is at 3000 rpm. Not good for such a big engine.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
With my best efforts on the road i got 12.83 l/100km (18.3 mpg) on the highway. Driving mostly 80-100 km/h. Mostly closer to 80. This is with LPG.

If i energy adjust it i get 10.26 l/100km (22.9 mpg). Amount of energy i would have used if i were running on gasoline.

If i price correct it for gasoline just to feel better i get 6.93 l/100 km (33.84 mpg). Liters of gasoline i would have had to buy if I was paying for gasoline instead of LPG.

Last numbers are not too bad. But i think that i can still improve it. Adding a grille block and various other aero mods...
Old 07-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Thanks for the tip.

Any idea how one can access the ecu's on these things?

I wish they were open source. Then i could program whatever algorithm i wanted in to them.
I've been looking around for an appropriate open-source ecu myself. There are a few around but none that really address 'lazy ecomodding' as far as I know.

I think what you are thinking of is something like an Injector-Controller that's customised for ecomodding useage.

Another option might be to drop a more modern engine into that Mercedes, say from a Mercedes A180. Those old Mercedes engines were pretty lethargic and the newer ones might have similar power just use a lot less fuel.
future - probably a Prius
Old 07-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I live somewhere where engine swaps are a bureaucratic nightmare. And finding an engine would cost more than the car itself
Old 07-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
So i have this car that i was going to sell for a
Will water injection play nice with LPG?
From my experience and from the theory I know about it should work brilliantly, but I've never tried.

Do you want to try? I would be happy to assist you if you are interested.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 PM   #29 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
I live somewhere where engine swaps are a bureaucratic nightmare.
I know that feeling...

But anyway, how hard would it be to get an used Sprinter of that dual-fuel petrol/CNG version from Germany to Turkey so you could drop its drivetrain into the ML350?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I know that feeling...
But anyway, how hard would it be to get an used Sprinter of that dual-fuel petrol/CNG version from Germany to Turkey so you could drop its drivetrain into the ML350?
Not very hard.

Also, having been through this myself, "if an engine is already available on that type of car or series" then it all becomes much easier.

For example, my Renault Scenic had an econobox 2.0 originally. I just dropped in the 2.0 sports motor with ~30% more power but because it's a factory engine available on other models in the range there is no drama.

If you can show that the engine was available in Germany at some point earlier or later their ability to argue becomes less.

For example, if you put a 2010 tdi engine back in an older ML it becomes hard for them to argue it isn't right.

My engine swapped car feels more 'right' than whatever came from the factory. It feels like the car that the factory should have made.

You can also do things like put original intakes on to make it look totally stock if you need to know so that it isn't obvious what lurks beneath.

Reply  Post New Thread