Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX:HF - '89 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)

NameGoesHere - '15 Volkswagen Golf TDI SEL

So I need some help.. When driving normally in almost every gear when I am accelerating and when I hit about 1700 rpms I feel a sort of hesitation.. It is really hard to explain but it is almost as if I were pulling the E Brake for about 2 seconds, if that.. It has been doing this for a while.. I thought maybe SeaFoam would help but its there still, very faint.. Any ideas?

Follow me on Twitter. @secsieAzul
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #92 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatta4 View Post
So I need some help.. When driving normally in almost every gear when I am accelerating and when I hit about 1700 rpms I feel a sort of hesitation.. It is really hard to explain but it is almost as if I were pulling the E Brake for about 2 seconds, if that.. It has been doing this for a while.. I thought maybe SeaFoam would help but its there still, very faint.. Any ideas?
My car has done that for years, usually I notice it in third gear, when the engine has been on only a very short while. I have wondered if it is something with the fuel pressure related, but the phenomenon never changes shape or frequency, so I don't worry about it.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Welp... Over the break I decided to change my cap and rotor and that solved my hesitating problem that I was talking to california98civic about earlier, but I leaned on the warm air intake deal and cracked my radiator... I have been driving it but checking fluids regularly.

Now the debate is whether to buy the $80 radiator from the local shop that I know is a good brand, or buy the $50 eBay one that is a risk and will probably take longer to get here... I am thinking local shop..

Anyways. After the anger passed of being a fool and cracking it I went on to build a cheap, fast, and very ugly grill block out of a plastic lid I had lying around. It is held on by a wing nut and a screw and has the center cut out of it. Very simple, and in my opinion, very ugly. It's only temporary and it was my first aerodynamic mod..

Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #94 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Sorry for the radiator fail. But I don't think it was caused by the WAI. You're in Idaho in December! Your coolant temps could not have been THAT much higher than normal, if much at all, because of the WAI. I think your radiator has simply met its natural demise, as mine did about a year before I began ecomodding.

That said, the grill block could boost your coolant temps significantly above normal, easily, especially under high load. In warm months you certainly will see somewhat higher temps, but it should not be an emergency. Just watch the temp gauge, reduce your blocking if you see a pattern of high temps.

For the replacement part, I would definitely go with the local shop and the manufacturer you trust.

FWIW,
YMMV,
james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Sorry for the radiator fail. But I don't think it was caused by the WAI. You're in Idaho in December! Your coolant temps could not have been THAT much higher than normal, if much at all, because of the WAI. I think your radiator has simply met its natural demise, as mine did about a year before I began ecomodding.

That said, the grill block could boost your coolant temps significantly above normal, easily, especially under high load. In warm months you certainly will see somewhat higher temps, but it should not be an emergency. Just watch the temp gauge, reduce your blocking if you see a pattern of high temps.

For the replacement part, I would definitely go with the local shop and the manufacturer you trust.

FWIW,
YMMV,
james
No, I leaned on the intake, which is attached to the radiator, and it cracked it... It wasn't caused my the intake..

I went ahead and ordered from the local shop a bit ago. It will be here tomorrow.

And yeah.. I'd love to see what this thing pulls in the summer but I won't see real warm months as I am leaving for two years before the heat hits hard..

Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #96 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatta4 View Post
No, I leaned on the intake, which is attached to the radiator, and it cracked it... It wasn't caused my the intake..

I went ahead and ordered from the local shop a bit ago. It will be here tomorrow.

And yeah.. I'd love to see what this thing pulls in the summer but I won't see real warm months as I am leaving for two years before the heat hits hard..
Oh! <palm to forehead> I get it. Well it's a great project car, and it'll be waiting when you return.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yes, waiting to be finished on a college student budget... Haha

Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Put my radiator in yesterday, went very smooth and easy. Probably one of the easiest things to replace. The aftermarket was a bit of a pain. Fit odly but luckily fit into the brackets without too much trouble.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #99 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My timing belt squeaks.. Is it time for a new one? I have no idea of when or if it was replaced before..

Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #100 (permalink)
Learning Aeromodding

Metro - '93 Geo Metro 4 door hatchback
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
If you have any reason to believe the timing belt may need to be replaced, you should do it! And don't wait! If it goes, you're in BIG trouble!!
The timing belt is really accessible in the CRX, so it should be a fairly easy job. But I haven't read up on it, so what do I know?

Reply  Post New Thread