Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
My odd ball veggie oil hypermiling

Well i have a 1983 benz that is my daily driver, it's a 300d turbo diesel, its a brick on wheels... both weight and shape.. however I run it on Straight Vegtable Oil so its eco freindly..ier.

I started just popping in into neutral and idleing (its a auto trans) and coasting to a stop and coasting down hills and I cant say how much more MPG I'm getting but it has made a difference in usage of fuel, I know because I run a 5 gallon veggie tank in the trunk and i can usually go 3 days commuting on that tank before adding 5 more gallons.. well I got a entire extra day out of the 5 gallons..

Its really hard to get a MPG rating as on a veggie conversion I start on diesel till the motor is warm then switch over to veggie so I have two tanks.. can't really do a tank by tank MPG rating, and a tank of diesel last me well over a month, since you only use it to start and shut down the car to flush the veggie out of the system, but I can notice less fuel used in my veggie tank by doing two simple driving habit changes, that bing coasting down hills and coasting to a stop or coasting to slow the car.. not to mention it should save my break pads too

This driving style isn't ideal in a automatic.. but it does work..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Did you have to do much to the fuel system to handle veggie oil? I am seriously considering a diesel for my next car to run canola oil grown at my place. A suggestion to get your mileage, you should top up the veggie oil when you fill with diesel and then drive like normal until your veg oil is getting low, then top up the diesel and veggie oil again. Won't be as good as running a full tank but it will get you some numbers to play with.
Ian

Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pepper - '87 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 30.42 mpg (US)
I wouldn't coast a lot. It's basically the same thing as towing the car with the rear wheels on the ground which can destroy the transmission pump.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm in the process of installing my Greasecar WVO system in my jetta. I bought a digital SPA speedometer that i am going to power off of my WVO solenoid. That way I can track MPG on the tanks separately with a second odometer that only counts while on WVO.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
I wouldn't coast a lot. It's basically the same thing as towing the car with the rear wheels on the ground which can destroy the transmission pump.

the trans pumps are still running
Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
yeah i got the engine on, idling.. this was just experimentation so I doubt any major damage if any will come of it.. I wont be doing this to often, as my fuel is very eco-freindly and free for the most part. Just messing around to see if it made a bug gain and it did..

I'll defiantly be doing this with my manual trans cars.. the Colorado will get a scan gauge .. and the CRX will be totally modded with shifter mounted engine cut out and start button etc.. no power anything on that car so no risk of think not working when the engine is off.

Reply  Post New Thread