EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   My sister does not drive for gas mileage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-sister-does-not-drive-gas-mileage-36529.html)

JRMichler 06-06-2018 07:36 PM

My sister does not drive for gas mileage

My sister does not drive for gas mileage. Nope. No way.

When she drove a manual transmission, she did not like to shift gears. So she learned to time traffic lights. Nothing to do with gas mileage. Nope.

When her friends went through a set of brake linings in a year or two, she drove to minimize the use of brakes. Nothing to do with gas mileage. Nope.

These days, she drives a Prius and gets up to 70 MPG. But drive for gas mileage? Nope. No way. She just does not want to waste money burning dead dinosaurs.

I'm OK with that. We just do not discuss gas mileage or hypermiling.

elhigh 06-07-2018 09:02 AM

End result is the same. Hate burning money = burn less gas. Hate going to the brake shop = don't use the brakes. Hate shifting = coast.

I had a boss once give me a hard time for needing to take the company van in for brakes every year.

"But Stan, I do over 100 miles every day in city traffic. Twenty-five thousand miles a year, Stan. Stop and go all day long, Stan."

Kudos to your wife. However she arrives at the saving money and effort table, she's there.

MetroMPG 06-07-2018 09:45 AM

Nice going, sis!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 571479)

When she drove a manual transmission, she did not like to shift gears.

This one could have gone either way! I hear a lot of manual drivers revving around town in 2nd gear (I'm assuming) constantly.

Ecky 06-07-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 571513)
This one could have gone either way! I hear a lot of manual drivers revving around town in 2nd gear (I'm assuming) constantly.

The few times I loaned my father-in-law my Insight, he left it in 3rd on the highway.

MetroMPG 06-07-2018 10:45 AM

There goes your tank average! :D

samwichse 06-07-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 571518)
The few times I loaned my father-in-law my Insight, he left it in 3rd on the highway.

LOL my dad did this in mine. He called me going down the interstate (drive safe, dad!) saying he didn't know what I was talking about the car is gutless on the highway, it has plenty of power.

I said "what gear are you in?"

*Long pause*

"Whoops."

He had been driving an hour and 45 minutes on the interstate. In 3rd. He was still showing 59mpg :D

Frank Lee 06-07-2018 11:29 AM

Friend of mine has an NSX. I told him yes, there are two more gears, might as well use them.

Gasoline Fumes 06-07-2018 11:38 AM

My sister drives a Prius too. She complained about the terrible mileage she was getting with it. I took it for a drive and got about 60 MPG. It's not the car! :)

wdb 06-07-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 571479)
My sister does not drive for gas mileage. Nope. No way.

When she drove a manual transmission, she did not like to shift gears. So she learned to time traffic lights. Nothing to do with gas mileage. Nope.

When her friends went through a set of brake linings in a year or two, she drove to minimize the use of brakes. Nothing to do with gas mileage. Nope.

These days, she drives a Prius and gets up to 70 MPG. But drive for gas mileage? Nope. No way. She just does not want to waste money burning dead dinosaurs.

I'm OK with that. We just do not discuss gas mileage or hypermiling.

Honestly this is much of my inspiration -- the fact that I'm a cheapskate. I drive everything frugally, because I don't like spending my money on stupid stuff like brakes.

Xist 06-08-2018 01:30 PM

I do not know why people want "SUVs" (crossovers) instead of minivans or why my sister felt she needed a vehicle with three rows for two children, but she complains that the 17/24 rating of her Traverse LT is unrealistic. Well, seven people reporting to EPA.gov would agree with her, their average is something like 18.6, and most of forty-one people reporting to Fuelly should also agree with her, the average there is 16.8. The lowest is 12.5, there are a few in the 20 - 21 range, one person claiming 30, and this lunatic: Traverse (Chevrolet Traverse) | Fuelly

Allegedly obtaining over 50 MPG in a 5,000-pound vehicle that is as tall as my brother-in-law.

I hope that his data is thrown out as an outlier or just a liar.

We had a station wagon with four kids and survived, but who still makes station wagons?

I do not know that my sister would consider a three-row Prius if Toyota ever sold one here, but hopefully she would reconsider purchasing another Chevrolet.

It has not been reliable.