Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dan22

Green Bean - '95 Honda Civic VX
Smile My VX hand throttle project

I have seen several examples out there of folks that installed hand throttles in their cars. I am motivated by two reasons: No cruise control, and, handy for getting good MPG.

I asked my bike mechanic buddy if he had some old school bike shifter levers. Sure enough he had a couple. I tested the amount of cable travel it has and it worked out to 7/8". The actual throttle cable measured up to 1" travel. I figured that was good enough given I will probably not need full throttle from the hand contol. I bought a new cable for it so there would be minimal drag for returning back to idle.

I then debated on how to install it. I thought about mounting it on the shifter as it seems like a convenient location. But I did not want to route the cable through the console, although it is a good way to do it. I finally settled on a bracket mount located under the E-brake handle. The lever would work so moving it up/back would apply more gas, and forward/down would return to idle. I consider this the safest way to operate the throttle too.

I wish I could stage the pictures to show the progress, but they are at the end.

The bracket is mounted to the two screws that hold the console/e-brake cover. I used spacers to take the screw force down to the original screw locations. Then I tested for good positioning of the lever. I settled on a slight down angle to the cable for clearance around the shifter console, and for good overall cable routing. The lever swing this way would also not interfere with anyting at the max throttle position.

I also added a cable clamp at the lever to prevent the inadvertent pull-out from the lever which would apply throttle.

The cable route goes along the shifter console, then up past the ashtray console, then up through a crack at the side of the lower dash.

For under the dash, there is a handy 8mm bolt location on the dash framing. I used a piece of scrap flat bar to extend a cable mount up in line with the pull direction on the gas pedal. I discovered here that my cable housing could not be clamped as it would pinch the cable. Instead, I found an old adjustable shifter ferrule that would receive the hard end of the housing, then clamp the ferrule instead. Works like a charm.

I have not driven the car yet to test it out, but soon! I just bought this car and I want to get the MPGuino and this in place before I hit the road.

Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	16716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever mounted.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	16717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever right idle.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	16718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever right side.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	16719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	16720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified bracket.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	16721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified bracketSide.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	16722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified bracketEnd.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	16723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Under dash.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	16724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable route.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	16725  

The Following User Says Thank You to Dan22 For This Useful Post:
The donkey CRX (01-02-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
That's pretty slick After seeing some hand throttles here I've been tossing the idea around as well. Made me keenly aware of how difficult it is to make the really small adjustment thats required to get the most out of the fuel I so jealously meter out. I just got back from 7 hour round trip and my lower leg killed me when I got out of the Mazda from trying very delicately modulate the throttle. Hope its a big sucess for you!

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 01-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Looks familiar...

>
Old 01-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Oh, that's purty. Real purty!

I may have to copy this mod, to the T. Only, maybe add a little wrinkle black paint here and there. Thanks for sharing!
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 01-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Also, where did you get the extended hand lever that you bolted to the bike lever?
"Yesterday as I was going in to the shop, I came upon a recently killed Armadillo in the middle of the road with one front leg sticking up. As I passed over him he "High Fived" my air dam. I thought that showed a great attitude on his part." -The Donkey CRX

Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dan22

Green Bean - '95 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG VX View Post
Also, where did you get the extended hand lever that you bolted to the bike lever?
Thanks everyone. I was definitely inspired by the folks on this site.

I made that lever from a scrap piece of flat bar. Notched it at the bend and welded up the cut. Rounded the edges, then covered it with some heat shrink.

Reply  Post New Thread