Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I drive a 87 crx si it has stock 185-14" yes I concur high rpms. I see 2500rpms@about 50mph. this has led me to the trans swap cure. have already purchased the hf trans from a 89. not got any confirmation of a direct fit yet. waiting to lay hands on a 87 hf trans before it goes into the shop for a swap. hopefully very soon. if anyone knows about the fit of the 89hf into the 87 (2nd gen into 1stgen) I'd appreceate knowing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IIRC, the transmissions from the 2nd-gen CRX (88-91) do not swap directly into the 1st-gen (83-87) chassis.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
backyard engineer (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The 1984-87 engines and transmissions are not interchangeable with newer years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard engineer View Post
I drive a 87 crx si it has stock 185-14" yes I concur high rpms. I see 2500rpms@about 50mph. this has led me to the trans swap cure. have already purchased the hf trans from a 89. not got any confirmation of a direct fit yet. waiting to lay hands on a 87 hf trans before it goes into the shop for a swap. hopefully very soon. if anyone knows about the fit of the 89hf into the 87 (2nd gen into 1stgen) I'd appreceate knowing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
backyard engineer (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

appreciate the reply's, sorry if i encroached on the tire discussion, any ideas if modification of trans from 2nd gen is possible like one bolt doesnt line up or spline shafts dont fit if you could detail any on the problems concerning such an idea, maybe theres a possible way around(rig, hack, etc)
Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I've never set them side by side but starting in 1988 Honda standardized a lot more of their drive train, the first generation crx and civic had the CVCC engine and that tilted forward a few more degrees it seemed like, when Honda went way from carburetors they made a lot of changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard engineer View Post
appreciate the reply's, sorry if i encroached on the tire discussion, any ideas if modification of trans from 2nd gen is possible like one bolt doesnt line up or spline shafts dont fit if you could detail any on the problems concerning such an idea, maybe theres a possible way around(rig, hack, etc)
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm hoping to lay the first gen and second gen hf 5spds side by side soon, I'll let you know what I discover
The Following User Says Thank You to backyard engineer For This Useful Post:
larrybuck (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I sure appreciate everyone's input! The trans. talk is every bit as important as the tires... they seem to go together here.
I'm not nearly as high tech as some of you, but usually I can get a speedo check from road construction your speed is ....... or town/school like digital signs, and simply remember where that truth is. Worst case, there's a speedo shop in Portland that could recalibrate!

I once had a discussion w a bicycle fan who thought a wireless digital bike speedo might work on a car if said unit could handle automotive speeds. Anyone have experience or thoughts here?

Well; I've slept on only the early responses here; so my mind is still mixed. 155 (low CD) vs. 185 for highway mpg I love to take long trips at 50mph or slightly less, and in every day life, I'm still mostly 75-80% highway or at least min. stoplights by careful choice! SO now I need to sleep on that a little more!! (lol) It was nice to get confirmation about a 185 fitting an '87

Final thought for now.... Have many of you read up on how special the '84 1.3 CRX alternator was supposed to be in its part in contributing to the 67mpg highway figure? I'm not trying to be lazy by not checking it out myself.. but one wonders about availability of such part NOW, after all these yrs., and what the price difference is compared to a JOE NORMAL alternator for the 84-87 range.... if other than '84 stock wiring could accept it.... if regular Civics, and 2nd Gen. CRX's could benefit from it enough to talk about???
Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All of the 2nd-gen CRXes, as far as I know, will "turn off" the alternator after the car has been driving a while. It is in the factory manuals, and I can see the system voltage drop to ~12.6 after a drive.

It is related to temperature (probably coolant temp) and the electrical load on the system as measured by the ELD (electrical load device or something like that), and probably to other things. If I turn my lights on, or the rear defroster, or even turn the cooling fan on speed 2 (with 1 the slowest and 4 the fastest) the voltage will go back up to 14-ish.

-soD
Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post
I sure appreciate everyone's input! The trans. talk is every bit as important as the tires... they seem to go together here.
I'm not nearly as high tech as some of you, but usually I can get a speedo check from road construction your speed is ....... or town/school like digital signs, and simply remember where that truth is. Worst case, there's a speedo shop in Portland that could recalibrate!

I once had a discussion w a bicycle fan who thought a wireless digital bike speedo might work on a car if said unit could handle automotive speeds. Anyone have experience or thoughts here?

Well; I've slept on only the early responses here; so my mind is still mixed. 155 (low CD) vs. 185 for highway mpg I love to take long trips at 50mph or slightly less, and in every day life, I'm still mostly 75-80% highway or at least min. stoplights by careful choice! SO now I need to sleep on that a little more!! (lol) It was nice to get confirmation about a 185 fitting an '87

Final thought for now.... Have many of you read up on how special the '84 1.3 CRX alternator was supposed to be in its part in contributing to the 67mpg highway figure? I'm not trying to be lazy by not checking it out myself.. but one wonders about availability of such part NOW, after all these yrs., and what the price difference is compared to a JOE NORMAL alternator for the 84-87 range.... if other than '84 stock wiring could accept it.... if regular Civics, and 2nd Gen. CRX's could benefit from it enough to talk about???

Pretty sure there is nothing special about the 84 alt. I've got one in my garage as a back up. It has the same connectors as 85-87 and seems to have the same size pulley.

1720 lbs, tall transmission, and 1.3 liters of fury are the highest contributing factors.

Reply  Post New Thread