Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It would be worth it just for that, right?

The best plans start with the drive-train, build the chassis around it and add body as necessary. It's the long way around the barn, though.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Hydraulic dump stake bed.
Unfortunately I don't have a barn to build it in

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
It looks like the magnum has been discontinued, the only one htat meets the towing is the Durango and it falls short on the FE.

Thanks for the thought though.
yeah '08 was the last year... I always liked them. I am a wagon/van guy I am guessing an Astro is not in the running either
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
TheEnemy -- Figure of speech. 'Hydraulic dump stake bed'—dualies in the back, flat bed with stake sides; if, for instance, you're hauling landscaping materials it does half the work for you.

chrisgerman1983 -- I didn't care one way or the other about the Magnum until I saw one with the rear hatch open. It's like the old Studebaker Wagonaire station wagon.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
chrisgerman1983 -- I didn't care one way or the other about the Magnum until I saw one with the rear hatch open. It's like the old Studebaker Wagonaire station wagon.
I love the hatches on them! The also fit the template alright...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33928100006_large (Medium).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	11888   Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum (Medium).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	11889  

Last edited by chrisgerman1983; 11-15-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The towing ratings are suggestions. The 3500-lb limit on a number of them is that the OEM's don't really test them, they'd rather you buy a pickup, etc. What kind of towing is the real question, and many/most can be fitted with a proper weight-distribution hitch that makes them overall compatible, even better than some pickups due to better vehicle performance dynamics (pickups are roll-over prone, etc).

Climate, terrain, expected load and expected distances all play their part. The tow vehicle [TV] may need better wheels/tires, shocks, a trans cooler, etc than as equipped from factory. Other than that, the best choice of a TV comes down to the one best suited for solo duties. Focus there, first.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
It looks like the magnum has been discontinued, the only one htat meets the towing is the Durango and it falls short on the FE.

Thanks for the thought though.
Certified Pre-Owned? If you can get a manual a year or two old it should last you awhile. I wouldn't trust a Chrysler automatic though.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Certified Pre-Owned? If you can get a manual a year or two old it should last you awhile. I wouldn't trust a Chrysler automatic though.
It if makes you feel better, the LX cars, 300, Charger, Magnum use a Mercedes derived 5 speed automatic. It's the one they used if their high powered cars for years.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The towing ratings are suggestions. The 3500-lb limit on a number of them is that the OEM's don't really test them, they'd rather you buy a pickup, etc. What kind of towing is the real question, and many/most can be fitted with a proper weight-distribution hitch that makes them overall compatible, even better than some pickups due to better vehicle performance dynamics (pickups are roll-over prone, etc).

Climate, terrain, expected load and expected distances all play their part. The tow vehicle [TV] may need better wheels/tires, shocks, a trans cooler, etc than as equipped from factory. Other than that, the best choice of a TV comes down to the one best suited for solo duties. Focus there, first.
My Nissan has a 3500lb tow rating, with its bumper, I did tow more than that a few times, but it didn't handle it very well. The brakes mostly. It would do better with a better trailer/hitch setupSolo duties, 3 miles to work and back, errends my wife sends me on, usually short trips under 3 miles one way. The occasional trip to the larger hardware store 60 miles away, with an even less frequent trip to the U-Pull for Jeep parts 80 miles away. 3-4 times a year recovering a friends broken vehicle, or my broken Jeep.

I could see getting something like my wifes accord to tow 3500lbs, but with the unibody, and front weel drive I would have reservations about how long it would handle the stress without having to reinforce it.

I would put an upgraded tranmission cooler on any automatic I would use for towing, I have seen too many overheat even without hauling loads. I prefer a manual, but they are getting so hard to find new anymore.

Climate: hot dry dusty, mountains, desert, occasional snow (the last couple of years were pretty bad), often not the best roads.

I have done some pretty "stupid" things with both my truck and the Jeep, and have yet to roll either one. The whole roll over hazard for these is way overblown.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
I love the hatches on them! The also fit the template alright...
They did look like they were designed pretty well.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A late model caravan would work. I think it has the towing capability, with the larger V-6, anyway. Just make sure it has a big tranny cooler on it.

Their newer transaxles seem to be much better. I had an 02 caravan which shifted like new when I sold it with 130K. It had a very large factory tranny cooler on it, which I think is the main reason they do much better these days.

Reply  Post New Thread