EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Need new utility type vehicle (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/need-new-utility-type-vehicle-23966.html)

TheEnemy 11-11-2012 09:47 PM

Need new utility type vehicle

My wife is dropping not so subtle hints about wanting me to replace my pickup.

So I have been looking, and haven't been too terribly impressed with what I have been finding.

So here's what I am looking for.

4000lb+ towing
4+ passengers
20+ city, 25+ highway MPG

I am looking for a new or near new vehicle, budget about $25k give or take. $30k max

Rentals and delivery trucks are out of the question, I'm just too rural, and I am usually one of the ones people come to when they need truck type help, so at least the towing capabilities are pretty much a necessity.

What I am looking at so far are the
Nissan Frontier, Toyta Tacoma (4door or access cab)
Nissan Pathfinder (V6 CVT-> 20/26)

The cars or small crosovers don't seem to be rated for more than 1500lbs towing.:mad:

Any other ideas/suggestions?

JRMichler 11-11-2012 10:11 PM

Take a look at the Colorado/Canyon crew cab. I have had five people in mine for several hours without complaints.

The four cylinder is rated for towing 3000 lbs, the five cylinder 5000 lbs. The four cylinder will easily tow more than 3000 lbs if you don't have to start out on a steep upgrade.

And you can get good gas mileage: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yon-17070.html

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-11-2012 11:58 PM

Your wife would love if you could get an overseas Diesel truck :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 339407)
Take a look at the Colorado/Canyon crew cab.

In the absence of Diesel compact trucks back there, I'll second on that. BTW which truck are you gonna replace?

TheEnemy 11-12-2012 12:30 AM

Replacing the Frontier. The Jeep is a weekend toy.
It would be nice to be able to get a nice little tubodiesel pickup.

We have had some bad experiences with Chevies in the past, so despite the numbers looking good, I will not be buying another one of their products

bestclimb 11-12-2012 12:35 AM

you could do a lot worse than a Taco.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-12-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEnemy (Post 339425)
Replacing the Frontier. (...) It would be nice to be able to get a nice little tubodiesel pickup.

How Diesel-friendly is your local DMV? Have you never considered an engine swap?

TheEnemy 11-12-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 339429)
How Diesel-friendly is your local DMV? Have you never considered an engine swap?

They wouldn't even get involved. Its not that the engine is wearing out, its that everything else is wearing out that makes her want me to get a new truck.

CAPTAIN CHAOS 11-12-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEnemy (Post 339404)
What I am looking at so far are the
Nissan Frontier, Toyta Tacoma (4door or access cab)
Nissan Pathfinder (V6 CVT-> 20/26)

The cars or small crosovers don't seem to be rated for more than 1500lbs towing.:mad:

There is NO way I would ever put a 4000lb trailer behind a vehicle with a CVT. Those things cost so much to rebuild you're best off scrapping the vehicle if one goes bad.

It’s truly pitiful though how few vehicles are out there that can pull a modest size trailer (4000lb), seat 4-5 comfortable and meet your mpg goals (which shouldn’t be far-fetched at all). Good luck in your search.

euromodder 11-12-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEnemy (Post 339404)
I'm just too rural, and I am usually one of the ones people come to when they need truck type help, so at least the towing capabilities are pretty much a necessity.

You're buying a truck for someone else's benefits , or do you (partially) make a living out of that ?

Quote:

You could keep the truck for the times and uses it's really needed ; and get something more economical as a daily driver.

JRMichler 11-12-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEnemy (Post 339425)
We have had some bad experiences with Chevies in the past, so despite the numbers looking good, I will not be buying another one of their products

Sorry to hear that. In 70,000 miles, my truck has needed a front end alignment, one parking brake cable, and a front caliper mount freed up.