Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 12:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
Bright idea, pissing off the driver of a rolling fortress and you in a beercan thin Metro or the like.. Look, those guys are just making a living. Under impossible deadlines and now getting barely enough to cover the fuel. And you want to make them mad by throwing things at them? Not sure, but you might get a knock on your door by the LEOs for a case of roadrage. That is rapidly getting close to hate crime status in some areas.

Along that same line of thinking, would you want someone to do the same to you just because they felt they were being held up by you? Just to teach you a lesson?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pushrod - '02 Chevrolet Cavalier
Quote:
Bright idea, pissing off the driver of a rolling fortress and you in a beercan thin Metro or the like.. Look, those guys are just making a living. Under impossible deadlines and now getting barely enough to cover the fuel. And you want to make them mad by throwing things at them? Not sure, but you might get a knock on your door by the LEOs for a case of roadrage. That is rapidly getting close to hate crime status in some areas.

Along that same line of thinking, would you want someone to do the same to you just because they felt they were being held up by you? Just to teach you a lesson?
Well now, let's look at the flip side. Many times I've been doing the speed limit, or 5 over and one of these maniacs (possibly strung out on god knows what) would come up right to my bumper to try and intimidate me into going faster. Here's the thing, I'm just trying to get from one place to another, safely, without getting nailed by a cop for speeding. I don't give a rat's ass about how tight their deadlines are. If part of their deadline calculation involved breaking traffic laws by speeding, then they're just going to have to be late. I'm tired of truckers and their holier than thou attitude. Yes, I know, all the stuff in wallyworld got there through a truck. I didn't ask for a just-in-time economy, I just want to get home safely, okay? It's a job, like any other and the reason their pay sucks is because pretty much anyone can do it, whether they speak english or not. A failure to plan on your part does not constitute a reason to speed on my part. And yes, if you piss me off by putting my life and that of my passengers in danger, I'll wreck your windshield and accelerate out of sight.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

You are playing with fire. Some of the slow drivers on this forum are more agreesive that the worst speeders.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Weight Reduction

4x4 - '06 Nissan Altima 2.5 Special Edition
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)

Mom's Van - '99 Plymouth Voyager SE
90 day: 25.62 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ankit
Even though the change idea is funny and creative, I think it would be pretty scary to mess with a trucker. Plus you could probably be charged with something like maliciously throwing a missile. That would not be fun. They have radios and could get other truckers to corner you and pull over, that would suck also.

I guess this is one of those funny in the mind and movies ideas.

Onto the OP: I don't get it, are the speed limits slower? Also, why would they mess up the traffic lights like that? Oh conspiracy (now I'm just thinking out loud).

Quote:
Live Simply So Others Can Simply Live
-Ed Begley Jr.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ex-lurker

Skeeter - '05 Toyota Corolla LE
90 day: 35.55 mpg (US)
I don't begrudge the truckers (and not just because my fiance's family is in the business). They drive like everyone else who flies by way too fast ignoring legal and safety factors, they just do it in a much larger vehicle.

I do use the washers on occasion though, I don't intimidate easy.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A missle huh? What do you call a rolling barge a few feet from your rear bumper? How selfish can you be to willingly put someone else's life in danger because you're running late?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

If you don't like the way somebody else is driving, call the police. The CHP around here respond very quickly when a driver call in a case of reckless driving or intoxication. But what you're advocating is illegal, dangerous and down right irresponsible. You are no better than the that truck driver.
Secondly, if this happens to you on a regular basis, maybe its time to reexamine your own driving habits. If you think a truck driver is intoxicated behind the wheel, maybe it would be best to put as much distance as possibly between that vehicle and yourself instead of trying to pick a fight with them.

Last edited by tjts1; 05-31-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
If you don't like the way somebody else is driving, call the police. The CHP around here respond very quickly when a driver call in a case of reckless driving or intoxication. But what you're advocating is illegal, dangerous and down right irresponsible. You are no better than the that truck driver.
Secondly, if this happens to you on a regular basis, maybe its time to reexamine your own driving habits. If you think a truck driver is intoxicated behind the wheel, maybe it would be best to put as much distance as possibly between that vehicle and yourself instead of trying to pick a fight with them.
And by putting distance between, you mean speeding. Are you going to pay my ticket? Short of intoxication, do you believe the police are going to send a cruiser to follow a moving target when I call in a complaint about a tailgater? Not all truck drivers are intoxicated, some of them are plain old a-holes that believe their vehicle's curb weight entitles them to use it to their advantage.

A third option not involving missles is to P&G in front of a tailgater. Since semis take a lot longer to glide, they'll be burning off precious momentum through braking each time you let off the gas. At around a dollar per mile, they should get the message pretty quick.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Or if tailgating semis are that big a deal where you live then anticipate it, once they draft up on you like nascar, let off the gas let the nudge happen and have him push you along, think of the FE savings there ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 05-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Or if tailgating semis are that big a deal where you live then anticipate it, once they draft up on you like nascar, let off the gas let the nudge happen and have him push you along, think of the FE savings there ...
If we get that far, I'm shifting into 3rd, turning on the AC and riding the brakes too.

Reply  Post New Thread