Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Insulating Paint Additive Makes Paint Insulate
Quote:
The microspheres in the HY-TECH insulating ceramic additive have compressive strengths up to 6,000 psi, a softening point of about 1800° C., and they are fairly chemical resistant, with low thermal conductivity of 0.1 W / m / Deg.C.
The scientific process went one step farther and improved on the ceramic microspheres by removing all the gas inside which created a vacuum. Physics law states that nothing can move by conduction through a vacuum, since it represents an absence of matter. In effect we have a miniature thermos bottle... a microscopic hollow vacuum sphere that resists thermal conductivity and reduces the transfer of sound.
My point was that, given the small surface area, with a relatively thin high-performance wall you could heat it with a large dog.

I don't know how to translate thermal conductivity to R-value.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Elephant - '88 Chevy 3500 1 ton 8 ft bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

My point was that, given the small surface area, with a relatively thin high-performance wall you could heat it with a large dog.

Yes if I stock up on baked beans for camping it would take care of my heating needs too.... LOL Just kidding but that's what I am looking for is super insulated. I built a house and super insulated it and was very happy with how comfortable that house was when it was 20 F outside or 110 in the summer. I had to have small vents (1 cubic inch) in each room for fresh air because the house was so tight.

Anyway I travel a lot in RV's for work and pleasure and I know how thin walls and single pane windows don't keep a RV warm unless you keep the heat blasting most of the time. The same with cooling. There is a reason full-time RV's leave Arizona in the summer time. Air conditioners won't keep you cool with those thin walls either. You will cook like a rat in a black box !

Thanks for your input :-)
Tommy
Old 05-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You responded to the joke, did you follow the link?

Here's another: R-value (insulation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia According to it you should probably be using Polyurethane rigid panel. Notice that 'Vacuum insulated panel' has 4-6 times the insulative value. This is not the same thing as the insulating paint.

So what Corning product are you considering. Their website is a helpful mess, being dumbed down to the point of dumbness. Maybe Formular 250? But that's R-10 in 2 inches.

Did you read the post you referenced for your 'design'? The carbon fiber was ugly so he decided to paint it, and then couldn't overcome the sanding marks showing through so he couldn't paint it the color he wanted. That's why I'd use aluminum skinned plastic.

Get mill-finished aluminum, and then once it's built buff it out. It would look like an Airstream, easy-peasy. Then your 2" of insulation and finish it on the inside with insulative paint and top that with Fire Retardant Paint, for safetys sake.

Radiant outer barrier, insulative core, radiant inner barrier and fireproofing instead of just the core and fiberglass. Double-glazed windows of course. Run your exhaust fan through an air-to-air heat exchanger. You'll need one because superinsulated structures are stuffy. And I think they're hard to regulate. Thermal mass helps, so consider panelling the inside with White Southern Pine.

Can we get back to talking about aerodynamics?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Elephant - '88 Chevy 3500 1 ton 8 ft bed
Did you read the post you referenced for your 'design'? The carbon fiber was ugly so he decided to paint it, and then couldn't overcome the sanding marks showing through so he couldn't paint it the color he wanted. That's why I'd use aluminum skinned plastic.

Get mill-finished aluminum, and then once it's built buff it out. It would look like an Airstream, easy-peasy. Then your 2" of insulation and finish it on the inside with insulative paint and top that with Fire Retardant Paint, for safetys sake.

I don't know a lot about Aluminum sheeting but I would like to. Nothing is set in stone and I have always loved the CampLite all aluminum RV's ! What is Aluminum skinned plastic ? What thickness of mill finished aluminum would you use for RV skin ? I do some pricing and see if thats a better way to go.

I sure the forum won't mind if we post a few more times on this subject because whatever I end up using will need to be formed into the best aerodynamic as possible. :-)
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I just want the ecomodder ethos to be represented in the best possible way out on the highways.

Polymetal
Alumipanel
Grimco Maxmetal

There are other brands I see on scraps that I scavenge at the local hippy recyclers. Generally available in 3mm and 6mm thickness in 4x8, 4x12 and 5x10 foot sheets. My local supplier, Multi-craft Plastics has 3 pricing levels, end-user, retail and wholesale. I recall something like $100-150 for a 4x8 sheet. Some varieties are single-sided and Grimco offers aluminum skins twice as thick as the ususal .007".

Here's a model of an aero shell (in this case a 'teardrop' trailer) made of flat strips.

This actually follows The Template at low resolution.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
thermal conductivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

The heat transfer coefficient (U) is the inverse of the R-Factor.
Greater the R,the lower the U,and smaller the heat lost/gained,depending on what side your on,given any delta-T.
This is for conduction only.
Considering that with a 3-season mummy bag inside a 3-season sleeping bag,that one can survive -30 F inside a tent with rain fly,the small surface area high performance wall and supplemental canine heating makes perfect sense.
I borrowed some Btus from femme-bot's Golden Labrador this last winter.
freebeard (05-06-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks. From the Wikipedia link:
Quote:
Vacuum insulated panel — R-30–R-50
Silica aerogel — R-10
These are the two that beat polyurethane foam. I wonder if you can home brew vacuum panels. All you would need is an airtight membrane, an aerogel, and 'getters'. Inch thick R-30 walls are an actual thing.

Reply  Post New Thread