Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Odyssey Van - '11 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)

silver racecar - '13 hyundai accent GS
90 day: 38.8 mpg (US)
I may test two sizes before buying a full set. Anyone know best way to measure if potential tire will rub front/rear fender liners while turning? Would love to just buy best set the first time.....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbzcummins View Post
I may test two sizes before buying a full set. Anyone know best way to measure if potential tire will rub front/rear fender liners while turning? Would love to just buy best set the first time.....
Park your car with the front end pointing down hill, have a friend apply some weight to the front bumper. This will compress the suspension as if you are hitting a bump or turning and the vehicle leaning to one side. Then see if your hand will fit between the tire and body at various tire positions.
As long as your hand will fit between all the spaces then you know you have at least 3/4 inch of a gap all the way around, assuming your hand is 3/4 of an inch thick.
You can repeat the same process with the rear if you want.
Lets say you find you only have 3/4 inchs of room between the top of the tread and the body. To increase the tires radius 3/4 of an inch you would have to go 1.5 inches taller. Clearly you wouldn't want to push all the way to the max, so go an inch taller.
When you increase the tire width a similar idea applies, since the tire width is centered on the rim, every 10mm wider you go the tire is only going to take up a little under 1/4 inch on the inside.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Odyssey Van - '11 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)

silver racecar - '13 hyundai accent GS
90 day: 38.8 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Park your car with the front end pointing down hill, have a friend apply some weight to the front bumper. This will compress the suspension as if you are hitting a bump or turning and the vehicle leaning to one side. Then see if your hand will fit between the tire and body at various tire positions.
As long as your hand will fit between all the spaces then you know you have at least 3/4 inch of a gap all the way around, assuming your hand is 3/4 of an inch thick.
You can repeat the same process with the rear if you want.
Lets say you find you only have 3/4 inchs of room between the top of the tread and the body. To increase the tires radius 3/4 of an inch you would have to go 1.5 inches taller. Clearly you wouldn't want to push all the way to the max, so go an inch taller.
When you increase the tire width a similar idea applies, since the tire width is centered on the rim, every 10mm wider you go the tire is only going to take up a little under 1/4 inch on the inside.
I know all of the above info provided. Also the ramp test I did compressed the suspension a good bit same as adding weight method and found out 195 would be close if not rubbing under exterme compression and 205 more likely than the other. My concern is tire rubbing with wheel turned on front or back liners of steer wheels. Right now I have aprox 1.5" clearance from liners front and rear while turning right and left. I am leaning toward getting the 195's right now however if I get them and see I had enough clearance for the 205's...............

Reply  Post New Thread