Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o - '84 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
How will you lower it? , mine is also twin ibeam and would like to drop 2 inches like you plan,
to lower the front of the f150 im just gonna pull the coil seat off the beam and that'll give me 2 inches of drop which will be more then enough . on the ranger other then buying lowering springs you can always cut coils. the last ranger i cut the coils i thin i cut 1 complete coil off and it gave me 2 inches. if you cut yours cut it in increments of 1/4 of a loop cause once you cut it off you cant put it back, and usually anything more the 2 inches of drop will be hard to realign

The Following User Says Thank You to c_silva88 For This Useful Post:
radioranger (01-15-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
radioranger

Thanks will probably get some junkyard springs and go that route, I'll post any gains from the diff oil swap , my truck is pretty consistent , to the point where i can pull up to the pump check my miles and get it to the tenth , how much a fill up will be, no gas gauge so always fill it and 25 k miles a year , almost 381 k miles on it now, and all original except fresh motor about 40 k ago, rebuilt original with stock bore valve guides and all within specs, synthetic oil and many changes at 3k of oil , look on you tube some pretty wild looking 300's on there .
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Is that the 300-cube straight six? That's a great motor, but if you have a household rule like, "No new trucks until the old one's broken," you might be stuck with it.

Start a vehicle page in the garage listing?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o - '84 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Is that the 300-cube straight six? That's a great motor, but if you have a household rule like, "No new trucks until the old one's broken," you might be stuck with it.

Start a vehicle page in the garage listing?
thats usually how it goes my girlfriend thinks im crazy never buying a truck or car thats newer then 95 and cost more then $1000. i don't like payments and i like the simplicity of the older trucks.

and for an update well the past few days ive been tinkering on the truck. i replaced the fuel filter and o2 sensor oil change and started putting the front end together.i also put a volt, oil pressure, and temp gauge set in to keep an eye on the truck vitals. on my to do list as of now is:

1. patch the floor
2.replace the computer controlled carb and tfi distributor with a normal carb and dura spark ignition.
3.full belly pan
4. lower it
5.put a radio in
6. convert the truck to manual steering
7.swap in a 5 speed and aluminum drive shaft
8.build a tonneau cover
9.remove any unnecessary weight
10.replace all fluids with synthetic
11.build a custom intake
12.upgrade all the power cables and grounds to 2 gauge wire
13.all new vacuum lines
14.replace all the brake and fuel lines with stainless steel lines
and lastly every one love pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1358994647232.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	12321   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1358994647633.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	12322   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1358994648046.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	12323  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Computer-controlled carburettors never made any sense at all.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o - '84 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Computer-controlled carburetors never made any sense at all.
nope not at all every one ive owned never ran right mine the idle like to wander from 475rpm to 1000rpm on idle but even with that issue i still managed to squeak out 18mpg and thats with no ecomods but allot of coasting and planning on the routes i take when running errands . im thinking by replacing the 3 speed tranny/transfercase (truck was originally 4wd but was converted to 2wd) i should be able to break 20mpg easy by being able to keep the truck in optimal rpm range and probably losing over 200lbs (current trans and transfer case are cast iron and im also gonna use a aluminum driveshaft when i do the swap) im also gonna shave a little more weight by replacing the wooden floor in the bed with some thing gauge sheet metal and some cross bracing for strength.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
I have a buddy at work with a Dodge Ram 50 (badgineered Mitsubishi Mighty Max) with the CC carb, he hates it. His truck is within a few centimeters of mine in every aspect and the weight is the same, but his mileage is dreadful. Low 20s on a good day, and the carb doesn't respond to tuning at all. I keep telling him to pull that carb and bolt in virtually anything else, but he's putting two kids through college so the workaday beater stays on the back burner.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o - '84 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I have a buddy at work with a Dodge Ram 50 (badgineered Mitsubishi Mighty Max) with the CC carb, he hates it. His truck is within a few centimeters of mine in every aspect and the weight is the same, but his mileage is dreadful. Low 20s on a good day, and the carb doesn't respond to tuning at all. I keep telling him to pull that carb and bolt in virtually anything else, but he's putting two kids through college so the workaday beater stays on the back burner.
yeah i have 2 kids myself and my projects usually get pushed to the back burner. today i fixed my exhaust i had a horrible leak right before the muffler cause i couldn't find the right adapter so i ended up welding it up. the factory tail pipe was rotted where it goes over the axle so i cut it off and used the last section with the 90* bend in it and made it exit in front of the passenger side tire. what a difference driving it now its so quiet other then the manifold gasket has a small leak in it now. but i plan on using manifolds off a newer fuel injected motor which are supposed to flow as good as long tube headers and have an o2 sensor bung which i plan on using for my air/fuel ratio gauge to help with tuning. but overall im very pleased with the truck so far i only have 200 into it and other then a electric draw that was killing the battery its been very reliable.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_silva88 View Post
im thinking by replacing the 3 speed tranny/transfercase (truck was originally 4wd but was converted to 2wd) i should be able to break 20mpg easy by being able to keep the truck in optimal rpm range and probably losing over 200lbs (current trans and transfer case are cast iron and im also gonna use a aluminum driveshaft when i do the swap) im also gonna shave a little more weight by replacing the wooden floor in the bed with some thing gauge sheet metal and some cross bracing for strength.
The tranny swap is a must. BTW is quite odd to figure out the truck still had a wooden bed floor.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

o - '84 Ford F150
well after thinking it over and looking over the cab on the truck i decided to swap the cab with the one off my parts truck while the cabs off it'll be the perfect time to swap the 5 speed in and por15 the frame. so im looking at as the glass half full situation while the cabs gonna be a pain it'll make the tranny swap easier. i'm also contemplating a 1 inch body drop which is popular with the mini truck crowd. to achieve it im gonna trim the cab bushing an inch instead of the traditional cutting of the floor and re-welding it and reducing head room. so with any luck the swap will take place this weekend goal is to do it in 1-2 days. ill make sure to get plenty of pics of the whole process.

Reply  Post New Thread