Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
... Replace the throttle plate with a very light positive displacement supercharger that uses the power lost in normal throttle plate restriction and converts it to electrical energy ...
I've been thinking of that for a year or so now, knowing I would not be the first but haven't found anything about it until this.

It would not have to replace the throttle plate, it could run in parallel and use the TPS as a guide to what to do.
In addition, it would need a throttle plate on its own (assuming the turbine would leak when stationary).

If the throttle plate is closed, the plate governing the turbine should be closed too.
If it is partly open the turbine plate should be fully open, allowing it to spin and generate electricity.
If it is at WOT the dynamo should act as a motor and spin up the turbine to create boost.
You might need a valve of some kind to prevent reverse flow through the throttle house...

When I cruise in the right lane I'm typically at 50% engine @ 1800 RPM, EGR and all; it displaces some 20 liters of air per second at 65% atmospheric pressure (at sea level) so about 13 liters at full pressure, losing 35% of that pressure at the throttle plate.
There is in this case some 450 Watt lost in friction on the plate.
It will be very hard to harvest that efficiently, but even if we can regain just 20% that would be 90 Watt.

Why then have a hybrid system and not just hook it up to the 12V battery?
It will reduce the load on the alternator or prolong the battery life on those who run without an alternator.
I do have a hybrid system, but I would hook this up to the 12V battery nonetheless. Way easier to do than the high voltage needed for the hybrid pack...

I have not found any turbine yet that would be usable for this though.
I expect it to be very small, after all 20 liters per second is not much.
Same for the generator. I've been looking at small wind generators but they are quite expensive, and of course I don't know if they can be converted to a turbine setup.

Bottom line; this can only work with a suitable turbine and generator. The search is on.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazda 626 - '80 Mazda 626 Base
Just something that came across both of my brain cells

Why not design an engine to act as an air pump when decelerating, and store the compressed air so that is could be used much like a turbo on acceleration?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Here you go red devil.

This is running on 120 PSI and it cost a small fortune (at least for this old man) to have it built from scratch. It could be much lighter and much more suitable for the application, and it is positive displacement.

That is the reality of innovation these days.

Like an alternator you control the engines speed by varying the load which increases or decreases the resistance to air flow.

Built and operational with video proof Dec 20, 2009.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 05-20-2014 at 08:07 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When you "invent" a new machine a whole new field of potential applications is opened up for those who can see the benefits of the design.

This video and the working model were done before the patent was issued.

Patent US7677208 - Radial rotary engine with energy storage - Google Patents

The patent focuses on a hydraulic hybrid application, but it could be used for many other applications.

Wind turbines
Pumped energy storage
Positive displacement superchargers, electric and mechanical.

I once told someone there were potentially thousands of applications and I have no reason to change that belief.

regards
Mech
Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The video showed me on critical piece of information. The machine is "balanced" only being held by my hand. It has no reciprocating parts. In fact it is more like a turbine than a compressor or IC engine.

That means you could replace the turbine blades (think torque converter) with two of these machines and you would have a positive displacement turbine. The model does not have the adjustable off set journal that is shown in the patent, which allows the stroke position to be adjusted While THE MACHINE IS IN MOTION.

In an IC configuration that means "on the fly' adjustable displacement as well as variable compression.

regards
Mech
Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonas View Post
Just something that came across both of my brain cells

Why not design an engine to act as an air pump when decelerating, and store the compressed air so that is could be used much like a turbo on acceleration?
Gas turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read down to the section on compressed air energy storage.

Compressed air energy storage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bottom line is your thinking is valid, since an engine is a pump and with modern variable valve lift and timing you could use the engine as an air pump when deceleration is required.

Friction brakes will soon be history.

Sorry Midas.

regards
Mech
Old 05-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Demonstration Vehicles | Clean Automotive Technology | Transportation and Air Quality| US EPA

Look at the demonstration vehicle at the bottom of the linked article. A passenger car with an EPA rating of 80 MPG combined.

In that 198 page document they admitted that the bent axis pump used in the vehicle had serious problems with high speed efficiency. The quote I remember was them asking for a "clean sheet of paper design" for a drive pump-motor that would not suffer the high speed efficiency losses of the bent axis pump they used which ran at prop shaft speed through a regular differential.

That knowledge was the basis of my design which is located in the wheels of the vehicle and not only is much more efficient at high speeds, BUT IT NEVER HAS TO RUN AT HIGH SPEEDS IN THE FIRST PLACE, unless your are talking about 200+ MPH.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

For those who enjoy visual moving demonstrations of various engine designs. I love the aircraft rotary engine (not wankel) one of the very few piston in cylinder engines that did not have reciprocating bottom end components. A proven design that was used in warfare. Remember the first "turbine" was invented before the birth of Christianity or Islamic religions.

Animated Engines - Home

regards
Mech
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
If I read it correctly you could just replace the throttle plate with this turbine hooked up to a motor/generator and control the revs by the TPS?
That's cool
Would it really run smoothly enough to actually generate power?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
IMO, All the major Automobile Manufacturers are looking at the new power units F1 is using this year. F1 is already over 40% thermal efficiency and still in their infancy. All the major turbo company's are now testing the next generation electric assist / generator turbo.

Here's a quote from Professor Dr Thomas Weber, the Daimler board member responsible for research and development in F1.

"The key challenge for the future is fuel economy and efficiency and, with the change in regulations, F1 is the spearhead for development," Weber said.
He said it had become "hard to explain" why F1 was using the old V8 engines.
The sport switched this year to 1.6-litre turbo hybrid engines, replacing naturally aspirated V8s. Mercedes have dominated so far, with Lewis Hamilton winning two of the first three races and team-mate Nico Rosberg the other.
Efficiency is at the heart of the new F1, with a limited fuel allowance and a maximum fuel-flow rate.
"Now with these new regulations I can clearly convince the supervisory board that the [F1 team] are doing exactly what we need - downsizing, direct injection, lightweight construction, fuel efficiency on the highest possible level, new technologies and combining a combustion engine with an e-motor hybrid."

He said technology transfer to road cars from the new F1 engines, with their dual energy recovery systems, was already happening and he hailed the "incredible" achievement of all the engine designers in F1.
The new F1 engines have a thermal efficiency of "40% and above" - better than that of a road-going diesel.
"Never before did we do such a huge step forward in such a small space of time from a V8 naturally aspirated engine to downsizing, turbocharged, all the technologies with one step," Weber said.
"It was the biggest challenge ever."

BBC Sport - Formula 1: Mercedes could have quit over engines

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (05-20-2014), user removed (05-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread