Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Polymorphic Modder

2006 DaCivic Hybrid - '06 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
New type of Hybrid called a HyBoost

I think this is the future for hybrids. Getting the most of a small engine.

The video goes into detail of the new technology,

Jay Leno's Garage goes eco with Ricardo HyBoost - Autoblog

The Following User Says Thank You to SoobieOut For This Useful Post:
pgfpro (05-19-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Electric super with a regular turbo? Wish I had 16 minutes to hear more.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I guess this belongs in the unicorn corral since it's an ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER.

regards
Mech
Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Not sure if you're joking, Old Mech...

It's not necessarily Unicorn material because they're also using a downsized engine and braking/coasting regen to store energy for boost when needed.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would like something more power efficient. A hybrid battery has something like .8 to 1kwh. At 10kw max assist, (about 13hp), It'll deplete the battery in 4 1/2 minutes. Assuming a new battery without capacity loss. That's about 4 miles on the highway, and then it'll force regen the rest of the way up a 15 mile mountain climb.

It's the stupidest thing ever. Why would you want to use what little power your tiny engine holds to charge the batteries going uphill? A supercharger might give you more power longer than sending that electricity directly to the wheels.

In addition an electric supercharger would also fill the low speed power band in accelerating from a stop.

It's a different way of getting around the lack of power in a small displacement engine while keeping it's efficient cruising capability.

I've gotten a ride in the original Smart car .6 liter turbo. That thing will run circles around my car. My IMA system doesn't even hold a candle to it.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Metro I have been a proponent of electric superchargers for years as my posts here show.

Sorry for the sarcasm.

Now lets take it to another level.

Instead of a turbine type wheel in the supercharger, make it positive displacement, meaning for every revolution aspecific amount of air moves through the supercharger. Replace the throttle plate with a very light positive displacement supercharger that uses the power lost in normal throttle plate restriction and converts it to electrical energy.

Store that electrical energy and use it for supercharging when needed. If excess energy is created use it for other electrical loads or greater storage.

Most of us here rarely use full power in our engines. The actual duty cycle I would envision for an electric supercharger would be very very low, in the neighborhood of 1%, maybe even less. Meanwhile every time you would loose power with any throttle plate restriction, you would be accumulating energy for supercharger activation.

Instead of pumping losses your would have electricity generation. Now that is truly "free" energy, in the sense that it is energy otherwise lost in pumping losses. Any other method of turbocharging or mechanical supercharging has a direct energy (and efficiency) cost.

In 2004 when I first drew designs for my original engine patent, one of those configurations was a rotary engine contained within an electric motor, using the outside of the rotary engine as the core of the electric motor. Since the rotary engine could be destroked and become a free spinning flywheel, unlike the first gen insight where the electric motor spun the engine constantly, you would have a significant improvement in overall efficiency and first gen Insights are still our mileage champs.

The same principle could also apply to my infinitely variable hydraulic drive and that is something that transcends the debate of whether a vehicle is driven by electrical energy or combustible fuel.

Years ago, on this forum, I tried to propose that same situation where a vehicle could have interchangeable power generation modules, one pure electric, one internal combustion. Use the electric option for local short distance commuting and the IC option for long distance driving.

As battery technology evolves the range of the electric option increases and eventually the IC option becomes obsolete.

I have been to the Ricardo tech center in Detroit where I presented my design, before the patent was approved, in 2006 (patent approved in 2010). The Next Energy representative (Michigan state organization) listened to my presentation and when the meeting was over, the response I got from Ricardo was they were "not prepared" for the presentation. Ryan Waddington, the Next Energy representative who accompanied me to Ricardo's center told me my presentation was one of the most impressive he had ever witnessed.

That was 8 years ago.

regards
Mech
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-20-2014), RedDevil (05-20-2014), SoobieOut (05-20-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2 years ago, post #7.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...omy-22763.html

regards
Mech
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2009, post #8

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rks-10435.html

regards
Mech
Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Not sure if you're joking, Old Mech...

It's not necessarily Unicorn material because they're also using a downsized engine and braking/coasting regen to store energy for boost when needed.
Look at my two linked earlier threads on this forum. I think you will see I proposed exactly what they are doing several years ago. They are just catching up with my thinking, and I have had 2 years and 5 years to refine those thoughts.

Maybe my apologised for sarcasm can be better understood as driven by frustration when the idea was so quickly rejected.

My design is still a generation (or two) ahead of them, and I'm dead serios with that statement.

Pumping losses used for electric power generation, lost in the "noise".

It does tend to be frustrating at times, in which case a little sarcasm is like a pressure relief valve, at least for me.

regards
Mech
Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Replace the throttle plate with a very light positive displacement supercharger that uses the power lost in normal throttle plate restriction and converts it to electrical energy.
Can a turbine that works off the engine's air intake really generate any useful power?

Reply  Post New Thread