Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #71 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Adam I have the same questions as Sawickm , also will it be possible to have the controller board ready populated ,as I had an unfortunate accident were my lab was broken into and lost my equipment,right now it is not easy to re-equip due to my financial situation, and prefer to buy the boards and continue with the project and see to the equipment later.Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by evimarn View Post
Hi Adam I have the same questions as Sawickm , also will it be possible to have the controller board ready populated ,as I had an unfortunate accident were my lab was broken into and lost my equipment,right now it is not easy to re-equip due to my financial situation, and prefer to buy the boards and continue with the project and see to the equipment later.Thanks
Hello Evimarn,

Sorry to hear someone took your gear. I know how hard it is to build a personal collection of good equipment. If your looking for an affordable good scope, look at the Rigol DS1052e.

Yes, The boards will come populated and programmed with the firmware. I have not decided how the driver boards will come. Most likely, these will be kits as they are all through hole with no SMD parts.

The controller has not been fully tested yet, because of unfinished firmware. But now that people are ready for them, I will push to get them completed.

The cost is a good question. They are not as cheep as Pauls boards. These have alot of extra features as you know. Full isolation, Ethernet communication, and all the inputs and outputs. If I remember correctly, to build 1 of Pauls boards, its a little over $100 including the PCB. This controller Im hoping to have available at $199. That come down a little I think, but I dont think it will go up.

Driver boards in parts cost around $67 plus the PCB. This is the 1 off cost. Im hoping to make these available for somewhere around $90.

If there is enough people interested, I would love to put together a beta program with about 5 controllers as the first ones actually used. Let me know what you think!

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
evimarn (10-26-2012), sawickm (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #73 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Adam,
I think it's quite fair the way you put it down,I am really interested and would also like to know if it will handle 1000amps,I intend driving a Kostov motor nor sure which model yet.I intend using igbt's.Do you mean that the driver boards come with the vla driver aswell?
Some specs would be appreciated aswell.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, the driver board includes the VLA-500-01 module. You need to just provide the IGBT's.

YES, 3 - 400A modules will handle 1000A.

I forgot about the current sensor until just now. I will have to finish this part of the controler. The logic board is compatable with many different current sensors, but in order to get 1000+ A of control, the normal HASS sensor is too small.

The one im using is the HTFS-800/p. Its a ring shaped sensor and is designed to mount to a PCB. You can still connect to the sensor by soldering wires to the terminals, but that seems like its asking for trouble, I plan to design a simple pcb that brings the pins out to a connector and adds some power conditioning and provides easy mounting.

LEM Website - Search

The HTFS-800 is designed for 800A nominal but can measure up to +/- 1200A. Perfect for a 1000A controller.

A little side thing ive been thinking about was how to parallel 2 of my 1000A controllers for my Corvette.

-Adam

The Following User Says Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
evimarn (10-28-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I cant remember if i ever posted the picture of the driver mounted to the 3 cm400du-12f modules in my first controller.

-Adam

Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #76 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
I forgot about the current sensor until just now. I will have to finish this part of the controler. The logic board is compatable with many different current sensors, but in order to get 1000+ A of control, the normal HASS sensor is too small. -Adam
Adam,

Could you incorporate Paul's Hall Effect Current Sensor into your controller ???
Open ReVolt/PCB Schematics - Hall Current Sensor

The current sensor is the one that he is using for his new 1000A controller.

I am also interested in a set of your controller boards !!!

-Mark

Last edited by sawickm; 10-30-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #77 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
...If there is enough people interested, I would love to put together a beta program with about 5 controllers as the first ones actually used. Let me know what you think!

-Adam
Sign me up (email sent).
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

(A little side thing ive been thinking about was how to parallel 2 of my 1000A controllers for my Corvette. )

Hi Adam,is it not possible to use dual drivers modules (vla's) instead of paralleling two controllers, my simplicity thinks it will be easier in most ways or is it not??? 'cause that was something I meant to ask previously in one needed beefing up the system.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evimarn View Post
(A little side thing ive been thinking about was how to parallel 2 of my 1000A controllers for my Corvette. )

Hi Adam,is it not possible to use dual drivers modules (vla's) instead of paralleling two controllers, my simplicity thinks it will be easier in most ways or is it not??? 'cause that was something I meant to ask previously in one needed beefing up the system.
Hello Evimarn,

Yes, it would be easier to use 2 driver boards and 6 igbt's in 1 enclosure. I would do this, but I cannot fit it in my car. You would also need another capacitor ideally. Also, the harder part is to find and afford a current sensor that can measure all the way to 2000A. I have not looked into this yet, but I was thinking I could build a circuit that would measure 2 current sensors and create 1 output for the controller. It would also interrupt the gate signal to the drivers and use lockout to balance the current between the 2 controllers if it gets out of hand. Again, this is all in my head.

-Adam

The Following User Says Thank You to adamj12b For This Useful Post:
evimarn (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #80 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur

Quote:

If there is enough people interested, I would love to put together a beta program with about 5 controllers as the first ones actually used. Let me know what you think!

-Adam
I would like to be on the beta test also...

Reply  Post New Thread