Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Can I haz Coroplast plz

11 Genesis Coupe - '11 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Last 3: 20.91 mpg (US)
New car: 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

Hey everyone, on 12/14/12 I traded in my old 93 Chevy Lumina and got a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe with 24,750 miles on the odometer. It has a 2L 4 cylinder turbo charged engine with a 5-speed automatic transmission. It's rated 20 city, 30 highway, 23 combined. It produces 223HP with premium fuel (210 on regular however I hear from many genesis owners that premium fuel is best and cheaper due to what they say is better fuel economy, haven't tested it myself) and 217lbs-ft of torque.

After filling up about two tanks now and getting piss poor fuel economy (20.96mpg and 17.86mpg) with a combination of city driving and highway driving (50/50 i would say) I wondered if something was going wrong. Its been about 30-45 degrees here in Chicago, IL the last week or so and now about 20-35 degrees. The second tank's poor fuel economy is somewhat understandable, I had a lot of engine idling in heavy traffic around chicago and a lot of traffic even on the highway but for it to be combined is a shocker.

Regardless of those two readings I tried my game at hypermiling again this time really trying and I was able to squeeze out 31mpg from highway driving and a tiny bit of stop-n-go driving in about a 5 mile distance as I tried to get to my house. It may just be my poor driving and heavy traffic afterall that caused me to get such poor figures. I was able to repeatedly get decent numbers from 25mpg (both city and highway) to 31mpg in short trip lengths from 2-5 mile distances. One thing I noticed heavily is that the first 3 minutes or so of driving i get single digit to teen numbers for mpg as the car gets warmed up.

Is it typical to get such poor mpg in the first couple of minutes of running a cold engine (getting 8mpg in the first 30 seconds to 15mpg at about 2-3 minutes for a car that gets 23 combined fuel economy) in weather that's about 30 degrees?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Smurfer

Dime - '95 Chevy S10 LS ExtCab RWD
Pickups
90 day: 18.23 mpg (US)

G/A - '96 Pontiac Grand Am
Team Pontiac
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)
In short, yes. Many cars take ~15-20 minutes to fully warm to temp. Transmission is still cold as well.

Are you able to control the shifting with that automatic?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Can you explain your route, and are you trying to use the least amount of throttle when you expect to stop soon..
For example my route...from the house to my first stop is about 200 feet so i only accelerat to 10mph and let off the gas and let the momentum and high idle take me to the stop...the i take off again and the next stop is a red light 500 feet away so i only accelerate to 35 mph and coast again...in that short time i get about 20 mpg starting with a cold 32 f engine

Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
yeah, thats about normal. if you're extra worried you can check your spark plugs and make sure the intake is free of build up. the only real strength of the turbo engine replacing a larger engine is that when you don't need the power, it will use less fuel (idle), otherwise it uses just as much as anything else that produces the same power.

completely different animal, but im running about 70/30 highway/city and getting 24.5-26.5mpg. 220hp/tq summer i will see 28-30

what kind of rpm is the engine turning at 55-60mph?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Can I haz Coroplast plz

My responses are in BOLD and blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
Can you explain your route, and are you trying to use the least amount of throttle when you expect to stop soon..
When I got 20.96mpg my route was mostly to and from work which is considered about 60% stop and go long distances, 10% highway, and about 30% city that is about 28 miles one way. I was able to net 25.8mpg on one morning commute there in 40DegF and 24.5mpg on the way back with some denser traffic and getting caught at some lights a bit more than in the morning. I also did some around town driving and such and gunning the engine at times (hey its a sports car and its new, I wanna have some fun! ) and other stuff I dont remember much of.
For my second tank where I got 17.8mpg, I did a lot of travel into Chicago from just outside the boundaries, taking I-55 north onto I-90 north and then dealing with traffic on Foster and around. By far the most idling I have done in a car in a long time. I idled a lot on I-90, braked and went slow on I-55 cause there was traffic there too, and all around just bad (also, some engine gunning) although I still tried to hypermile whenever I could but with soooo much traffic (and people get pushy) I didnt want to coast forever with people tailgating me, getting upset, etc.

For example my route...from the house to my first stop is about 200 feet so i only accelerat to 10mph and let off the gas and let the momentum and high idle take me to the stop...the i take off again and the next stop is a red light 500 feet away so i only accelerate to 35 mph and coast again...in that short time i get about 20 mpg starting with a cold 32 f engine
I like your technique. When I start up my engine, I let it idle for about 30 seconds to let things start flowing a bit before I start moving, I try not to be hard on the accelerator, keeping the engine speed under 3000rpms (usually under 2500rpms), it redlines at about 6500rpms to give you an idea of the percentage of the max it can do. It's during this cold start that I notice it has such a huge dip in mpg (reading from a cold start anywhere from 8-15mpg), even with as much coasting as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
yeah, thats about normal. if you're extra worried you can check your spark plugs and make sure the intake is free of build up. the only real strength of the turbo engine replacing a larger engine is that when you don't need the power, it will use less fuel (idle), otherwise it uses just as much as anything else that produces the same power.

completely different animal, but im running about 70/30 highway/city and getting 24.5-26.5mpg. 220hp/tq summer i will see 28-30

what kind of rpm is the engine turning at 55-60mph?
At 55-60mph, my engine turns over at about 2700-3000rpms, redline at 6500. It seems to be pretty clear to me from the tests I've done that I can definitely net better mpg by as much as 15% by pulse and gliding with the engine on which is definitely good news to me.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Can I haz Coroplast plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
In short, yes. Many cars take ~15-20 minutes to fully warm to temp. Transmission is still cold as well.

Are you able to control the shifting with that automatic?
Yes, the Genesis coupes with Automatics have the Shiftronic (R) http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/51951751.jpg . You can move the shift knob to the far bottom left and then it acts like a joystick that lets you move it up and down to go up or down in gear. When you shift the knob into the auto-manual mode from drive, the display in the dashboard then goes from "D" to the number of the gear you are currently on and go up and down as you change gears. Additionally, the steering wheel has levers on the left and right for changing the gears from your fingers as you hold the wheel. I noticed that I can go up in gear sooner if I have auto-manual engaged.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Second time's the charm - '04 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.26 mpg (US)

Tengu - '11 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 sport
90 day: 19.73 mpg (US)
I would chalk a lot of it up to the cold weather. I know how it's been in Illinois, and cold weather just sucks for fuel economy. I've been doing a lot less long distance driving now that school is out and my tank averages have been getting lower and lower.

Also I get similar mpg readings before warm up, I'm not exactly sure about how long this usually lasts though. But I've become accustomed to my drive and know where the point is that I'm usually warmed up, and recently I haven't been getting far past my combined mpg of 24. My drive is about 40 minutes of mostly 55-60 mph driving, however on the weekends I do most of my city driving and I can barely reach my 21 city on the shorter trips. It's just like I said earlier, winter sucks for mpg.

Last edited by AbeisAverage; 12-25-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Can I haz Coroplast plz

If there is anything good about me getting this sports car, its that its a bit more of a fuel sipper than its competitors: the Ford Mustang and the Chevrolet Camaro. Smaller engine, lighter by as much 400 lbs over the camaro, turbo charged for when you need to move quick, low Cd of .32 vs the .34 of the mustang and the .37 of the camaro.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenerit View Post
Is it typical to get such poor mpg in the first couple of minutes of running a cold engine (getting 8mpg in the first 30 seconds to 15mpg at about 2-3 minutes for a car that gets 23 combined fuel economy) in weather that's about 30 degrees?
Completely normal. I get less than 2 MPG backing out of the garage to the street, then am up to 10 MPG at the stop sign two blocks away. And that's using the kill switch to glide for over a block.

Temperature has a large effect on mileage. For my three mile commute to work, I can get over 40 MPG on a hot day with a tailwind, and less than 20 MPG on a cold day with a headwind.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Can I haz Coroplast plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
Completely normal. I get less than 2 MPG backing out of the garage to the street, then am up to 10 MPG at the stop sign two blocks away. And that's using the kill switch to glide for over a block.

Temperature has a large effect on mileage. For my three mile commute to work, I can get over 40 MPG on a hot day with a tailwind, and less than 20 MPG on a cold day with a headwind.
Ok that makes me feel much better.
With the new Genesis, its my first time having a mpg gauge and with buying the car in the winter I really didnt know what to expect for mpg read outs during any phase of driving.

Reply  Post New Thread