Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
tjts1, Wow great information! I had no idea they were so similar and swappable. Guess I should consider an EV6 type when my injectors need cleaning or replacement next.

It is posts like this that make these forums so valuble to us all. Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Another good picture of my old EV1 style BMW injector top, EV6 4 hole Ford injector which replaced it bottom. You can also see the 'Ford' logo stamped on the side. Despite looking very different, this is a drop in replacement in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post
tjts1, Wow great information! I had no idea they were so similar and swappable. Guess I should consider an EV6 type when my injectors need cleaning or replacement next.

It is posts like this that make these forums so valuble to us all. Thanks!
No prob!
This might be not everyone's idea of a good time but search the JYs. You can pull the injectors out of most cars in about 5 minutes. Note PNs, the length etc. Unless somebody else has already done the research for your particular model, ts the only way to find exactly what is compatible with your vehicle. The mazda pickup for example is just a re badged Ford ranger. It likely has bosch injectors which opens up a whole world of options. You can also clean used injectors yourself.
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=82

cheers
Justin
Old 07-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You do have to be careful about matching the flow rates of the injectors, or you will throw off your mixture at some load/RPM condition. I know people in the Honda world love to upgrade their injectors to very high flow rate ones, and then they wonder why their fuel economy goes into the toilet.

My 914 has very very very old-style pintle-valve injectors. So old that modern injectors don't even fit into the manifold correctly...

-soD
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
You do have to be careful about matching the flow rates of the injectors, or you will throw off your mixture at some load/RPM condition. I know people in the Honda world love to upgrade their injectors to very high flow rate ones, and then they wonder why their fuel economy goes into the toilet.
Yes, its very important to find the flow rate of your stock injectors and match with the new injectors. On old BMWs using Motronic 1.3-1.7, people have gotten away with everything up to 20% bigger over stock and still maintain 14.7 closed loop AFR. Open loop is another story and you should make sure you have the extra airflow to match. I went from 19# EV1 to 22# EV6 injectors along with intake modifications and picked up 15WHP about 1.5mpg averaged over many tanks.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

rusty - '00 ford mustang coupe
90 day: 24.31 mpg (US)

cbr929 - '00 honda cbr929 fast
90 day: 39.54 mpg (US)

Porshe - '06 Kawasaki zx10r
90 day: 47.21 mpg (US)

truck - '96 ford ranger
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)
hmm, I am surprised, but nobody mentioned anything about high and low impedance injectors, they will not work if you interchange them even if they're the same flow/physical size.

Reply  Post New Thread