EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Nissan raises the bar: networked, onboard, "multiplayer" fuel economy instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nissan-raises-bar-networked-onboard-multiplayer-fuel-economy-937.html)

MetroMPG 02-06-2008 09:50 AM

Nissan raises the bar: networked, onboard, "multiplayer" fuel economy instrumentation

Via GCC:

I've always liked my ScanGauge for how it turns fuel efficiency into a kind of personal competition. CarloSW2 hit the nail on the head when he called it his "game gauge".

Well, Nissan has raised the bar on the game gauge. For the past year, some of its Japanese market cars have had the option of a wireless service called "CARWINGS". One of the CARWINGS features let owners check online to view their entire fuel consumption history, which is automatically collected, calculated and logged on a Nissan server.

As well, drivers can see a comparison of how well they're hypermiling compared to other Nissan owners with the same vehicle:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS...0204-01-02.jpg
Image of Eco-drive ranking display

Nissan has taken it to the next level, and now the vehicle's fuel log & efficiency history, as well as the comparison to other drivers in your "fleet", is going to be available in car through the navigation display.

The voice part of the navigation system also apparently offers "tips on better fuel efficiency" for the driver - though no more details are given on whether, for example, it tells you not to be a dolt when you drive like one.

"HEY DOOFUS! Why'd you accelerate up to that last red light and brake at the last minute?!"

Cool.

Full article: Nissan Adds Eco-Drive Service for CARWINGS Navigation System

Doofus McFancypants 02-06-2008 10:05 AM

Hey - I did not accelorate fast..
Oh wait - you were not talking to me?

: )

MetroMPG 02-06-2008 10:32 AM

I wondered if you would say that!

TomO 02-06-2008 10:40 AM

I came across something like that before....I really wish they would implement something like that here. I bet it would open some eyes and get some good conversations going about what people can do to save on wear&tear and gas.

NoCO2 02-06-2008 10:41 AM

Heh, that's pretty neat. I really can't wait till I get my scangauge...

Doofus McFancypants 02-06-2008 10:42 AM

It's all good. If there is one thing I DO have - it is a sence of humor ( takes A LOT to get me going.)

this is a really slick idea - make it "Fun" to eco-drive
will the Typical US Consumer embrace this idea?
Unsure - but will be neat to compare to others who are into the ECO ideas.

Steve

Gone4 02-06-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doofus McFancypants (Post 8496)
this is a really slick idea - make it "Fun" to eco-drive
will the Typical US Consumer embrace this idea?
Unsure - but will be neat to compare to others who are into the ECO ideas.

Steve

I always try harder, and focus more if things are competitions. Competition if my best motivator and I am not alone in that respect. I've been trying to drive more efficiently just so I can try and beat myself, but beating other people would really add icing to the cake.

trebuchet03 02-06-2008 03:21 PM

That sounds sweet :)

I wonder if they'll add local car information... So there's 10 cars near you - show me some info on what they're getting. Now you're competing for FE with those directly around you :)

SVOboy 02-06-2008 03:46 PM

I'll have to do some more research on this kind of stuff the next time I'm in japan, :p. I feel so behind!

Anywho, pretty cool. I wonder if they keep stats on how many owners actually check, ;). Stats stats!

AndrewJ 02-06-2008 03:49 PM

Darin, sounds like you need to get Nissan to let your parents be beta testers for this side of the Pacific ;)